2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MercedesAMGSpy

Re: 2014 German Grand Prix

Redragon wrote:
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
Redragon wrote:Firstly Rosberg stop in purporse on Monaco, sky and hamilton play that game, telemetry prove them wrong.
Secondly Hamilton pit stops are slower, today was the contrary. Hamilton had better pit stops but still every one is speculating that Merc does in purpose because it is a german team.
Thirdly, now the FIA didn't deploy SC because FIA doesn't want Hamilton wins championship.
Let's see what it is next.

From my point of view it is the british media making Hamilton a victim, so if he wins at the end of the year, it will be heroic. But by doing that they take merit to Rosberg who is, by surprise of many here, doing a great job and driving really well.

Yes, SC would have been deploy, but wouldn't be change much at the end of the race. But also Ham should have been investigated for causing a collision.
It will be heroic, quess what he is 14 points behind Rosberg with two DNF's and one DNF in Q compared to Rosberg's one DNF in Britain. Maybe you can ignore these facts too in your own reality.
So basically I have to assume on my own reality, as you call it, that Hamilton is the winer already. Yes, Rosberg is DNF less but I don't look DNF as drivers mistakes, I look at them as unlucky circunstances.

Overall, and from my point of view, sorry to permit myself to have one, Rosberg have been driving with more professionalism and a great level. He has earned himself to be 14 points in front of Hamilton.
Ok, so you like Rosberg and you don't like Hamilton, maybe you can say that next time instead of a long story, because it has nothing do with facts.

theblackangus

To me it appears the biggest problem with Massa and Mag was simply that Bottas was between them pretty much right up until the corner was there. Watching the replay it looks like Massa and Mag could not see each other at all until very late in the braking zone. At that point Massa would have been looking at the exit point for his line far ahead of the corner, and Mag would also have been doing the same, so neither drivers head would have been looking where the others car was.
Massa took the line he would have it mag wasn't there, and Mag kept the speed he would have if Massa wasn't there.
I think if either was aware of each other at that point there wouldn't have been contact.
Takes two to tango in this case I think. Racing incident for sure imho.

SiLo

Redragon wrote:
Overall, and from my point of view, sorry to permit myself to have one, Rosberg have been driving with more professionalism and a great level. He has earned himself to be 14 points in front of Hamilton.
He's been driving well I'll give him that, which is what is expected of him. He has not earned that gap though, DNF's are not earned by the driver than benefits from it.
Felipe Baby!

Juzh

Mag straight off understeered into massa. He was given enough room to jump over the kerbs as some other have. Case closed.

SparkyAMG

The whole Rosberg vs Hamilton thing is getting tedious to follow because of all the media and online abuse that is getting dished out.

We should be enjoying the closest, most intriguing battle between team-mates for the WDC that has been seen in a generation. Instead, the media are jumping on tiny soundbites made during off the cuff comments that were never intended to be taken literally. It's belittling the on-track action, which has been fascinating from the start of the season in my opinion, even if it hasn't always been a P1 vs P2, Rosberg/Hamilton, lights to flag battle.

Watching Rosberg claw back the points in China, and Hamilton do the same in Austria and now Germany have been crucial points in the season and instead of appreciating these moments post-race, it's all been; "Rosberg can't drive in the wet, he's cracking under pressure", "Hamilton can't deal with the pressure, Rosberg is going to win the title", "CONSPIRACYYYY".

It's boring.

Both drivers are very evenly matched, so instead of trying to one up each other online, how about we appreciate the closest inter-team battle we've seen in years for what it is? Either driver could win the title, and I suspect it will come down to the wire as neither driver is dominating the other as it stands.

komninosm

andrewf1 wrote:He has a solid point. Advantage Nico once again :roll:
Someone needs to make a montage of all the Safety Cars that came out this year and contrast it with this incident. Also add the extra long amount of time we had to wait in Siverstone to fix a little bump on a piece of wall that was LESS likely to ever be hit again (it wasn't) than another car slipping and hitting the stalled car in the middle of the track in Germany.

Andres125sx

komninosm wrote:
Someone needs to make a montage of all the Safety Cars that came out this year and contrast it with this incident. Also add the extra long amount of time we had to wait in Siverstone to fix a little bump on a piece of wall that was LESS likely to ever be hit again (it wasn't) than another car slipping and hitting the stalled car in the middle of the track in Germany.
Yes, that would be illustrative about their lack of consistency #-o

basti313

Andres125sx wrote:
komninosm wrote:
Yes, that would be illustrative about their lack of consistency #-o
Maybe a new sort of consistency. I would go as far and say: Drastically reducing safety cars and penalties is the only way to get at least some consistency.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Andres125sx

theblackangus wrote:To me it appears the biggest problem with Massa and Mag was simply that Bottas was between them pretty much right up until the corner was there. Watching the replay it looks like Massa and Mag could not see each other at all until very late in the braking zone. At that point Massa would have been looking at the exit point for his line far ahead of the corner, and Mag would also have been doing the same, so neither drivers head would have been looking where the others car was.
Massa took the line he would have it mag wasn't there, and Mag kept the speed he would have if Massa wasn't there.
I think if either was aware of each other at that point there wouldn't have been contact.
Agree, but not sure about Magnusen, even if he saw Felipe he couldn´t go anywhere. To me Massa is a bit more responsible for the accident, but on a start it´s a racing incident 100%. He was fighting with Bottas, and when trying to go into his slipstream, he found Magnusen there (who was further back so he couldn´t see him) and crashed.

When there are cars all around and you´re fighting with your team mate (what takes your attention even more than any other rival) you can easily miss some car and crash with him. I don´t blame anyone for that.

For example, Kvyat crashed with someone (can´t remind who) very similar, going to the inside when there was a car there, but that was not at the start, there was no more cars around, so in that case it was his fault.

iotar__

Andres125sx wrote:Agree, but not sure about Magnusen, even if he saw Felipe he couldn´t go anywhere. To me Massa is a bit more responsible for the accident, but on a start it´s a racing incident 100%. He was fighting with Bottas, and when trying to go into his slipstream, he found Magnusen there (who was further back so he couldn´t see him) and crashed.
I disagree about who found whom. Did you notice common line into this corner, wider one? Massa turned into corner earlier and had longer distance but higher speed so he was in fact the first into the corner. That's why I disagree with "he cut in front of KM" - slightly (contact ofc). When I asked what was Magnussen trying to accomplish I meant that he was never going to be in front without the contact - when Massa turned K.M. was blocked and slow behind Bottas. Not seeing? They started side by side, they knew where the other was.

When other drivers turned into corner side by side they were like that before the corner (no Bottas), they had similar speed (like 2 Red Bulls) AND one of them had to go into the kerb like Vettel or Kvyat. IMO 70-30 - Magnussen, Massa could have taken wider line, he had the option.

radosav

It seems that difference between Alo and Ric at the end of the race was less than 0,1 sec.

Fernando Alonso : "For the last stint I was saving fuel but I was battling with Ricciardo so I had to decide to give up the position and cross the line or fight with Ricciardo and be on the limit to cross the line. I decided to fight with Ricciardo to be in the position and then try to manage the fuel as well as I could. On the last lap I had to massively save fuel - I was in eighth gear all lap and was lucky the race wasn't 100m longer!"

djos

theblackangus wrote:To me it appears the biggest problem with Massa and Mag was simply that Bottas was between them pretty much right up until the corner was there. Watching the replay it looks like Massa and Mag could not see each other at all until very late in the braking zone. At that point Massa would have been looking at the exit point for his line far ahead of the corner, and Mag would also have been doing the same, so neither drivers head would have been looking where the others car was.
I 100% agree, it's a pure racing incident with no villain - I was disappointed for Williams to miss out on the extra points, but that's racing!
"In downforce we trust"

djos

2014 German Grand Prix

SparkyAMG wrote:
We should be enjoying the closest, most intriguing battle between team-mates for the WDC that has been seen in a generation. Instead, the media are jumping on tiny soundbites made during off the cuff comments that were never intended to be taken literally.
You can thank Murdoch for his gutter press influencing and ruining journalism across the globe!

You should see what we have to put up with in aus from the 70% of media he controls - we even had Labor politicians heads grafted onto nazi pics on the front page of his papers in last years elections!
"In downforce we trust"

strad

OMG.. Someone can try and defend Massa? He had the gall to try and blame Magnussen. :wtf:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:OMG.. Someone can try and defend Massa? He had the gall to try and blame Magnussen. :wtf:
Drivers almost always blame each other, what's new about this?

Besides, Kmag DID hit Massa, not the other way around - Massa was in front and Kmag was trying to slip by - doesn't stop it from being a racing incident tho.
"In downforce we trust"