2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

iotar__ wrote:
n smikle wrote: Your arguement falls apart because Rosberg was not the Leading driver and the Softs were just as durable as the mediums but 1.5s a lap faster than fresh mediums and 3 seconds a lap faster than old mediums. HAM would have finished 30 seconds ahead of where was had he went soft soft. and Rosberg would have been 16 seconds a drift in third place.
It''s repeating some selected fact with nothing relating to race conditions. How much faster than Bottas was Hamilton in Germany 1,5 s per lap? How much faster was he than Alonso? Again: he was behind him 1/3 of a stint.

Soft soft is irrelevant here, he was second Merc driver and they're separating them, no need to multiply scenarios. Plus as if traffic hadn't existed. 30s ahead? Good luck with that. Enough of repeating obvious: Rosberg lost up to whatever seconds it was behind Hamilton and behind Massa/Raikkonen.
you know, the time sheets say he actually gained on the leader while behind Hamilton, but lost time to the leader while behind Jev. Perhaps if he hadn't sat behind Jev so long he would not have ended up behind Lewis in the first place.
197 104 103 7

mclaren_mircea

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Can someone explain me how was possible that Mclaren was on the same pace with Sauber in the second part of the race? I mean, after Button and Kevin changed the inters with slicks Sutil was in less than a second from Button and Magnussen couldn't close the gap with the Sauber. Maybe you know something about the tyres or something else :shock:

marcush.

Rosberg is maybe an efficient driver but sure he is not one who is known for his inspired overtaking moves.It´s a shame this skill is not in demand as it should be in todays racing ...

langwadt

marcush. wrote:Rosberg is maybe an efficient driver but sure he is not one who is known for his inspired overtaking moves.It´s a shame this skill is not in demand as it should be in todays racing ...
I wonder if it's partly because he's been the one with something to lose? when you are leading the WDC it might be tempting to play it safe and just collect points taking little risk, where as when you are behind (and have to start from the back) you have little to lose, you have to gain points playing it safe is not an option

SectorOne

It´s probably both. I mean look at Bahrain, he got schooled pretty hard there in the racecraft department.
But he´s very intelligent so he is most likely taking it very easy, he just recently lost a massive lead in the championship (silverstone)
Which probably was a wake up call that he´s not safe.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

SectorOne wrote:It´s probably both. I mean look at Bahrain, he got schooled pretty hard there in the racecraft department.
But he´s very intelligent so he is most likely taking it very easy, he just recently lost a massive lead in the championship (silverstone)
He might be really book smart, and know a lot of languages, but he doesn't seem to have a killer instinct, or any street smarts (for lack of a better term).

When Lewis was only 4 cars behind him after the safety car, that should have been the signal to get on with it, but he or his side of the garage seemed perfectly content because Lewis was behind.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:It´s probably both. I mean look at Bahrain, he got schooled pretty hard there in the racecraft department.
He might be really book smart, and know a lot of languages, but he doesn't seem to have a killer instinct, or any street smarts (for lack of a better term).

When Lewis was only 4 cars behind him after the safety car, that should have been the signal to get on with it, but he or his side of the garage seemed perfectly content because Lewis was behind.
I always get the shivers when somebody starts telling what Rosberg isn't - it opens the door for another episode of 'The Hunger Games - Hamilton Style'.

But yes, Rosberg should have never let JEV in front of him, though in his defense he had that brake problem. Still, he should have taken that into account before the restart.

This is his explanation:

(Just please don't pay attention to the massage he's getting)
#AeroFrodo

dans79

turbof1 wrote: But yes, Rosberg should have never let JEV in front of him, though in his defense he had that brake problem. Still, he should have taken that into account before the restart.
http://www.gfycat.com/TemptingBlindAfricanaugurbuzzard#

I'm sorry, but as i said in another thread this doesn't look like a breaking issue. This looks like he was so fixated on Mag, That he completely missed Jev setting up for a pass on turn exit. It even looks like the back end broke loose as he got back on the power. He should have Conceded the pass on Mag was a bust and closed the door on Jev.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
turbof1 wrote: But yes, Rosberg should have never let JEV in front of him, though in his defense he had that brake problem. Still, he should have taken that into account before the restart.
http://www.gfycat.com/TemptingBlindAfricanaugurbuzzard#

I'm sorry, but as i said in another thread this doesn't look like a breaking issue. This looks like he was so fixated on Mag, That he completely missed Jev setting up for a pass on turn exit. It even looks like the back end broke loose as he got back on the power. He should have Conceded the pass on Mag was a bust and closed the door on Jev.
It always is a probability of course. Even if he had a breaking issue, he indeed looks to focussed on MAG.
#AeroFrodo

Regle

ringo wrote:
Regle wrote: I didn't say his vocal fans had anything to do with it. In fact I said the opposite was true, at least for me.
It's not simply that he has faults. Just last weekend he gave an interview, which I don't have anymore so I can only cite it very vaguely, but it should be possible to find it, where after being asked, why this or that happened, he said: “I think we all know why.” The interviewer asked back: “So you're suggesting that the team/race control/whatever did XY on purpose?” HAM, awfully acting: “Oh, noooo… I should have KNOWN you were going to interpret it that way. No, that's not what I meant.” End of explanation. No word about what he actually claimed he was saying.
This is not simply a fault, this is arrogant and disgusting, these are childish games. And he's done that throughout his career.
I can't stand the way he's constantly trying to make a legend out of himself, comparing himself and Alonso to Senna and Prost with just one championship title, in his first season he claimed there had never been anything like him (winning races in the rookie season, when only ten years earlier Villeneuve had done the same), etc, etc.
Yes, I can dislike someone just from the screen because I can hear what he says.

By the way, I don't like Alonso either. Nor Rosberg.

I don't want to turn this into a Hamilton bashing and I've said it before, it was understandable that he didn't let Nico pass, but dislike for Hamilton does not come out of nowhere.
It's called entertainment. I like what he said. Very entertaining stuff. F1 needs more personality and back stories. We all know something is going on in mercedes, and Hamilton's choice of words is tantalizing to the curious. So i don't agree with you. Niki Lauda, Helmut Marko, Hamilton, Alosno, Button, I welcome their mind games and brashness.
Edit: I disagree. And it's not the kind of entertainment I'm looking for in motorsports, we have soap operas for mind games.
And please don't include me in your “We all know something is going on in mercedes” conspiracy, I haven't seen facts yet. Looking at Mercedes' work with Schumacher's strategies and technical difficulties, it's quite possible they have a knack for messing things up, German driver or not.
komninosm wrote:
Regle wrote: By the way, I don't like Alonso either. Nor Rosberg.
Do you like Vettel then?
Hard to say. I liked the early, fresh Vettel. Now he's lost that a bit, probably due to professionalism and bad experiences with press exaggerating his statements or twisting his words in his mouth (as of course they do with all drivers), but in private he's probably still a nice guy so I still like him, but I don't adore him. I didn't want him to win that 4th championship. Oh, and yes, I'm German.

komninosm

Regle wrote:
komninosm wrote:
Regle wrote: By the way, I don't like Alonso either. Nor Rosberg.
Do you like Vettel then?
Hard to say. I liked the early, fresh Vettel. Now he's lost that a bit, probably due to professionalism and bad experiences with press exaggerating his statements or twisting his words in his mouth (as of course they do with all drivers), but in private he's probably still a nice guy so I still like him, but I don't adore him. I didn't want him to win that 4th championship. Oh, and yes, I'm German.
Yeah, I figured as much. Puts what you said earlier in perspective...
iotar__ wrote:
n smikle wrote: Your arguement falls apart because Rosberg was not the Leading driver and the Softs were just as durable as the mediums but 1.5s a lap faster than fresh mediums and 3 seconds a lap faster than old mediums. HAM would have finished 30 seconds ahead of where was had he went soft soft. and Rosberg would have been 16 seconds a drift in third place.
It''s repeating some selected fact with nothing relating to race conditions. How much faster than Bottas was Hamilton in Germany 1,5 s per lap? How much faster was he than Alonso? Again: he was behind him 1/3 of a stint.

Soft soft is irrelevant here, he was second Merc driver and they're separating them, no need to multiply scenarios. Plus as if traffic hadn't existed. 30s ahead? Good luck with that. Enough of repeating obvious: Rosberg lost up to whatever seconds it was behind Hamilton and behind Massa/Raikkonen.
I already told you in the previous page that:
iotar__ wrote:He was in front and deserved better strategy.
Enough with this tripe. The guy in front after turn 1 does not deserve a better strategy, they both deserve the best strategy for them. Only thing they agreed to was who ever is in front after turn one will not get undercut by the second guy pitting first in a "normal" race. That is all. So if it's a normal race and Hamilton is in first place and Rosberg second and they both pit on laps 10-12 then Hamilton has the CHOICE to pit first. If things are not going normal then... all bets are off. Hamilton can't say:
"I want to pit on lap 11 and Rosberg must pit on lap 12 no matter if he has wasted his tires by lap 7 or if he has a slow puncture or whatever"
Do you understand now?

PS: Regarding the stuck behind Ham bit, Ros gained 5 seconds on Ric while he was there. If he wanted to overtake he should go way closer than 0.9-1.3 seconds. He can't expect his teammate to stop like a blue-flagged back-marker. That's ridiculous. Ros lost this race all on his own for not being able to pass other cars and being passed by other cars.
Regarding the Ham strategy the obvious change would be to (if Mercedes was paying any attention to him) burn the medium tires for a few fast laps after Ros pitted and then pit for softs and come out ahead of Ros and the traffic he was stuck in then. It was so obvious that it hurt (watching). Medium tires were terrible in this race. That is why the suggested dry strategies were soft soft soft medium(for as few laps as possible). And remember Ham had UNUSED soft tires unlike the rest! He should have been on inter soft soft soft FROM THE FRACKIN START! #-o

mikeerfol

Team radio transcript is up http://t.co/0l9J9m8BuT

iotar__

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/30/2 ... nscript-2/
48 LH I can’t imagine these tyres lasting another 20 laps.
48 PB So the softs did an equivalent of 24 laps albeit from damp conditions so wear shouldn’t be an issue.
54 PB OK, Lewis. So 18 laps remaining. We need to get these tyres to the end.
54 LH Trying to manage these as best I can.
This is dragging too long (mostly repeating) so last thing: on a 10th lap of 31 lap stint on mediums Hamilton is saying those tyres won't last but when he says couple of laps before pitting that there's some pace in the softs, he pushes couple of laps and pits it's a proof that: 1 he could have done even longer stint without losing pace 2. final stint of 30ish laps on softs without problems. Does not make sense.

Just_a_fan

Peter Bonnington
Lewis Hamilton
The race begins. Hamilton immediately spins at turn two, gently tapping the wall with his left-front tyre.
OK Lewis. If you’ve got any damage, let us know.

Lewis Hamilton
Peter Bonnington
The brakes are just not working.

Peter Bonnington
Lewis Hamilton
So driver default one-zero. Driver default one-zero.

Peter Bonnington
Lewis Hamilton
So we’re in ‘passive’. We understand BBW is in ‘passive’ we’ll try and recover it.

Lewis Hamilton
Peter Bonnington
My front-left hit the wall, I think. Just check my wing and everything. The brakes just gave up.

Peter Bonnington
Lewis Hamilton
OK, copy that Lewis. So brakes are cold. Brakes are cold.

Lewis Hamilton
Peter Bonnington
My brakes are still not working, it’s still on ‘passive’.

Peter Bonnington
Lewis Hamilton
OK, so we just nee to get some brake temperature into the front-right. It is starting to come up.

Lewis Hamilton
Peter Bonnington
It’s still in ‘passive’ though.

Peter Bonnington
Lewis Hamilton
Yeah, copy that Lewis. As soon as we get the temperature up, we can go driver default one-zero again.
Sounds like the first lap incident wasn't all down to Hamilton. Seems that the brake balance system wasn't operating correctly - presumably the loss of brake and tyre temp from sitting in the pit lane meant the system defaulted to a "safe" setting which caught out the driver.

Interesting also the apparent problem he was having later in the race with the battery - causing the seat to get hot and meaning they told him to run high revs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

I don't understand how does running higher revs save the overheating battery