2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mikeerfol

Re: 2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

SectorOne wrote:
Juzh wrote:2009 lost minimal, if any DF compared to 2008. Otherwise BGP01 couldn't have set all time track record in barcelona and be generally quicker than 2008 cars on almost all DF heavy tracks. 2009 cars were also much quicker in Spa, despite having less power (-1k revs).
Even the old Williams has a world record i think. Bahrain or something like that.
Can´t remember though if they ran the alternative layout that year.
Nope, that was 2010 only :)

beelsebob
beelsebob

langwadt wrote:
dans79 wrote:I have to say it's not as simple as a lot of people make it out to be. DF is roughly proportional to the velocity squared. Thus while a 2013 car might make more df than a 2014 car at the same speed, if the 2014 car enters the turn at a higher speed the extra speed might produce enough df to keep the car on the track.
the force needed to make the turn ~centrifugal force is also proportional to velocity squared
Centripetal force. Centrifugal force is the outward force you observe if you take the cornering car as your reference frame.

langwadt
langwadt

beelsebob wrote:
langwadt wrote:
dans79 wrote:I have to say it's not as simple as a lot of people make it out to be. DF is roughly proportional to the velocity squared. Thus while a 2013 car might make more df than a 2014 car at the same speed, if the 2014 car enters the turn at a higher speed the extra speed might produce enough df to keep the car on the track.
the force needed to make the turn ~centrifugal force is also proportional to velocity squared
Centripetal force. Centrifugal force is the outward force you observe if you take the cornering car as your reference frame.
correct, what I meant to write was, centrifugal force is proportional to velocity squared so the force need to take the turn
(Centripetal force) would also have to be that to make the turn

Sevach
Sevach

If you look at Hamilton's pole lap he's close to flat at a wet Eau Rouge, since i don't think we will see overly skinny RW this season i'm betting on flat, easy.

Juzh

Shifting down and 30kmh lower apex speed does not translate into "close to flat" in my book. merc was carrying a lot of wing last year for spa standards anyway.

SectorOne

it´s a simulator as well so we have to wait for reality to make a definite answer.

But from the simulator we can deduce that Eau Rouge is not flat, Paul Frere is flat and Blanchimont is flat.
Also Paul Frere corner, was it not called Fagnes earlier or where am i getting that word from?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:it´s a simulator as well so we have to wait for reality to make a definite answer.

But from the simulator we can deduce that Eau Rouge is not flat, Paul Frere is flat and Blanchimont is flat.
Also Paul Frere corner, was it not called Fagnes earlier or where am i getting that word from?
I believe it was called Stavelot (?)

SectorOne

Hmm interesting, checked Wiki and the track guides don´t entirely agree with one another.

I did find this one however, showing Stavelot as Turn 15 and not 14. And Fagnes is turn 12.

Probably the less correct one,

Either way, it has the coolest corner names in my opinion :) Rivage, Blanchimont, Eau Rouge, Les Combes etc brilliant names :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:Paul Frere is flat
Button lifting on his 2012 pole lap, at 1:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZzM-ZVlxvw

Little chance for 2014 cars to go flat.

SectorOne

Juzh wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Paul Frere is flat
Button lifting on his 2012 pole lap, at 1:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZzM-ZVlxvw

Little chance for 2014 cars to go flat.
I´m talking about the simulator lap.
And that´s a tiny tiny lift, could be explained by his tendency to have neutral cars and possibly a slight mistake where taking it flat would have been just fine.

godlameroso

At high speeds I think the loss of downforce to last year is very small, they are carrying some 50kg extra to last year so that probably has an influence. However the LMP cars of this year were taking Eau Rouge flat this year, and they weighed 180kg more. The exhaust blown diffusers did most of their magic at low to medium speeds, take the India track for example during it's short tenure, the RB's would crush everyone in the final sector, which were nothing but low to medium speed corners, but they were relatively equal through the high speed stuff.
Saishū kōnā

iotar__

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 16205.html Q: How does the level of downforce generated in 2014 compare to last year?
NC: It is a little down, but not much. When we started developing for the 2014 regs we were a long way down and then we had a very good build-up theory and we got to a level that we were reasonably pleased with. It is never enough - you always want to put more on the car - but it has improved to a pretty sensible level. If we had exhaust blowing, you would probably be equal, if not better.

crazyguru94
crazyguru94

i dont think eau rogue will be flat by any means. just look at all previous tracks this year. wherever everyone thought it will be easy t was very tough. in many corners there was a difference of 20-30kmph. so i think it will be the same.

Kingshark
Kingshark

SectorOne wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Assuming 2000 to be the first year that cars could take Eau Rouge flat out,
If the legend is true, it´s been flat since 91. Two individuals were said to take it flat that weekend.
Senna and Mansell?

SectorOne

Kingshark wrote:Senna and Mansell?
Senna and Schumacher if i´m not mistaken.