2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FoxHound

Re: 2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

Lauda and Wolff have let the drivers have their cake and eat it.
This is a result of that. But in no way should they be held responsible. They could have instilled team orders from the start and concocted their way to the title.

Instead we have real racing and incidents as we've seen today.

Rosberg benefited from his move today. The team need to make the corrections to allow a straight fight to the finish.
JET set

Gaz.

TheGkbrk wrote:What if we see a repeat of 2007 and see Ricciardo win the title against an in-team battle? That would be great I'd say.
Certainly possible. He's only 35 points behind Hamilton.
Forza Jules

dans79

The real question is what the consequences of this incident are going to be, because right now people are calling for blood, and it's a PR nightmare.
197 104 103 7

FoxHound

Any PR is going to be good PR for F1 right now.
In fact, its been reported Bernie Ecclestone was seen doing cartwheels UP eau rouge after the race.
JET set

Waywardism

Ha, Ricciardo doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of winning this title.

In a way I think it's actually bad for the season that he's been able to catch up like this. Lauda always said that he doesn't care what happens after they've secured the titles, and I tend to believe that's how the team will look at it too. I've been looking forward to the final unrestricted battle between them all season, Mercedes dropping points now just means we get less of that at the end.

Andres125sx

FoxHound wrote:In fact, its been reported Bernie Ecclestone was seen doing cartwheels UP eau rouge after the race.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how true :mrgreen:

NTS
NTS

Yes, but who cares about Lauda if this mess means that we'll see Ricciardo fight them both "knife between his teeth" for the championship at the end? A battle around the title between teams is much better than an organized "play time" between Hamilton and Rosberg after Mercedes is already sure of both titles.

CriXus

It was clear that Nico won't step aside once again. People, don't you remember Bahrain and Hungary? Hamilton nearly kicked him out of the track. So, if Nico had stepped today, Hamilton would have thought he could do such things every time, without consequences.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

FoxHound

Ricciardo is not an issue.

After today, Hamilton and Rosberg must be on best behaviour or face Lauda.
I reckon the bosses will impose some form of restriction on racing until the gap between ricciardo is around 3 races victories and the WCC is in the bag. That can happen in the next 3 races very easily.
JET set

Andres125sx

Waywardism wrote:Ha, Ricciardo doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of winning this title.
Mercedes drivers are not going to be very respectful with each other the rest of the seasson....

Mercedes is showing some reliability problems....

Red Bull is second best car and closing the gap....

Last race provides double points....

I agree that would be a surprise, but sincerely, I will never bet against that

Hall_Green_Wolf

Lap 2 FFS nico. 42 left for an easy 1-2 you idiot.
Sometimes your the bat, sometimes your the ball.

SectorOne

CriXus wrote:It was clear that Nico won't step aside once again. People, don't you remember Bahrain and Hungary? Hamilton nearly kicked him out of the track. So, if Nico had stepped today, Hamilton would have thought he could do such things every time, without consequences.
Don´t you remember Canada?

Again Rosberg seems to have selective memory. He did exactly the same thing in Canada as Hamilton did to him in Bahrain.
Why? Because it´s normal in F1, everyone does it, everyone knows the rule regarding overtaking in F1.
If you are on the outside you need to be pretty much ahead all the time to claim part of the racetrack.

I genuinely think he broke mentally at the start of the race when he got a poor getaway.
He was having none of it and essentially created an accident that never should have happened.
And the sick part is he benefited from it even though he did not win the race. That´s just not right.

Edit: I also don´t buy the idea where he says "i just left the front wing out there" because the video evidence suggest he´s turning right into Hamilton´s rear tire after having first turned away.

We know he lied in the press conference saying he did not know what was going on.
We know he lied as soon as he got into the meeting blaming Hamilton
We know he then changed his story to "yea i wanted to make a point"

I don´t trust a word coming out of his mouth because of the above.
Last edited by SectorOne on 24 Aug 2014, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Waywardism

NTS wrote:Yes, but who cares about Lauda if this mess means that we'll see Ricciardo fight them both "knife between his teeth" for the championship at the end? A battle around the title between teams is much better than an organized "play time" between Hamilton and Rosberg after Mercedes is already sure of both titles.
My point is that once the titles are secured, I believe there won't be any organised play time.. the 2 sides of the garages will be allowed to fight properly for the first time, which would be awesome.

We've already had some good racing between them but there has always been some sort of startegy-induced restriction to it, I think without that restriction it will go to a new level.

I fear that FoxHound is right and that now, and until the titles are secured, we're going to see greater restrictions from the team and we won't get any racing between them at all.

CriXus

Just watch this interview of Senna "If there is a gap i am going to try to overtake him", it's so simple.
Last edited by CriXus on 24 Aug 2014, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Jonnycraig

Andres125sx wrote:
The aussie is proving to be really good, don´t know if Vettel deserves four tittles, but he´s a WDC anycase and Ricciardo is beating him fair and square, and constantly.
Worth pointing out at this point that Horner confirmed Vettel's car was damaged on lap 1 when he took evasive.