2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
majki2111

Re: 2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

Juzh wrote:
majki2111 wrote:I just want to mention that Mercedes never really used 8th gear this season, not even in Spa... Monza maybe? Has someone else noticed that?
They use it after 330, which was quite often in germany and spa.
Sorry but I have naver seen them use it.

FW17

Italian GP is also when big driver announcements will be made, wonder if there is decision at Ferrari and Mclaren.

Waywardism

Matiacci (is that his name?) already said in an interview that his driver line up will not change while they are still under contract.

FW17

The rumor is FA has an clause to get out of the contract for 2015 based on performance for Ferrari

SectorOne

Assuming he wants to get out that is.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Ozan

I think Merc gambled on Sunday rain and went out with the high DF pack compared to RB, but it went wrong and RB caught them quickly.
But in Monza Merc will show the real Low DF pack and get 1-2. rest will be raced between williams and RB.

zeph

WilliamsF1 wrote:The rumor is FA has an clause to get out of the contract for 2015 based on performance for Ferrari
SectorOne wrote:Assuming he wants to get out that is.
Why would he not? Five seasons, 11 victories, and twice runner-up in the WDC. But more importantly, there has been a clear downward trend at Ferrari, with 2010 being his most successful season, and 2014 certainly the worst.

Sure, there have been changes that may not see effect until next year, but the reg changes for this season were supposed to have ended RBR's reign and put Ferrari back in the fight, and that didn't happen. I believe the problem starts at the top with LdM. If Alonso has come to the same conclusion, he may just decide it's time to get out.

Sorry for the off-topic.

aral

zeph wrote:
Why would he not? Five seasons, 11 victories, and twice runner-up in the WDC. But more importantly, there has been a clear downward trend at Ferrari, with 2010 being his most successful season, and 2014 certainly the worst.
a lot better than nearly every other driver!

SectorOne

zeph wrote:Why would he not?
Because every single interview he has made points to the fact that he wants to
A, retire at Ferrari and B, win titles with Ferrari.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

henra

SectorOne wrote:
zeph wrote:Why would he not?
Because every single interview he has made points to the fact that he wants to
A, retire at Ferrari and B, win titles...
Which might be mutually exclusive... :mrgreen:

Juzh

majki2111 wrote:
Juzh wrote: They use it after 330, which was quite often in germany and spa.
Sorry but I have naver seen them use it.
Then you haven't been watching closely enough.

Kingshark

Re: Italian Monza September 5-7 2014

Juzh wrote:Roberg's laptimes were identical to Ricciardo's when they were both on medium tires.
Yes when ignoring the fact that Rosberg's tyres were much older.

Tyre wear taken into consideration Merc were about 1 sec/lap faster than RBR in the dry and 2 sec/lap faster in the wet.

Nonetheless I expect a Rosberg pole and Hamilton win this weekend.

Juzh

Re: Italian Monza September 5-7 2014

Kingshark wrote:
Juzh wrote:Roberg's laptimes were identical to Ricciardo's when they were both on medium tires.
Yes when ignoring the fact that Rosberg's tyres were much older.

Tyre wear taken into consideration Merc were about 1 sec/lap faster than RBR in the dry and 2 sec/lap faster in the wet.

Nonetheless I expect a Rosberg pole and Hamilton win this weekend.
Rosberg's tires were 8 laps older than ricciardo's when their prime stints were overlapping. Ricciardo did his fastest lap on the last lap, which was his 17th lap (!!) on a set of prime tires. Tire degradation was not a major issue here. Rosberg was also told to push hard to catch up, but he couldn't.
Yes, merc was faster, but not by 2 seconds, or even 1 for that matter. Not over a race distance.

bdr529

alexx_88 wrote:Monza got the tarmac run-off because of Moto GP, not F1. That is what I thought initially too, though.
Just to clarify it was World Superbike (WSBK) and not Motogp that required the changes to be made

iotar__

I thought it was F1 related but is it 100% confirmed?
First link I clicked http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/170703.html "The change may be in anticipation of the possible return of World Superbikes to Monza in 2015" May-be-in-anticipation-of-SB-in-2015 they tarmacked it before F1 GP 2014? Everyone else seems to be repeating it (or other way round) in usual internet style, sometimes as a fact.