2014 Russian GP - Sochi

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2014 Russian GP - Sochi

In 1984 Lauda win his third title by a half point. Prost won 7 times (vs. Lauda's 5) and had more points, but the rule was that only the best 11 results counted and thus Lauda earned the title. Nobody remembers stuff like that, everybody knows Lauda won his third WDC. Nowadays, nobody would suggest Lauda didn't deserve the title.

I think double points suck, but it wouldn't be the first time a WDC was decided in such a blatantly unfair and arbitrary manner. But at least the "11 best results" rule was intended to be fair -to cancel out DNF's due to circumstances beyond the driver's control. The double points rule is there only to reduce the chances of the title being decided long before the end of the season.

turbof1

Nico probably took quite a bite out of his engine while Lewis could just put on the cruise control - I think concerning PU reliability and useage, it's edging back to being in balance despite Lewis' five cilinder carnage in Australia and hotlap-plusplus in Hungary.

Hopefully this will just mean both are spared from any race/qualy ending issues. For Hamilton it is essential now to win 1 of the coming races and finish the other in second, giving him the buffer for being in second place. If he wins both Hamilton can just as well pop in a new engine in Abu Dhabi because if he gets atleast 5th he wins the championship.

Rosberg will need to win atleast both races before Abu Dhabi in order to make it Hamilton very uncomfortable.
#AeroFrodo

dans79

zeph wrote:In 1984 Lauda win his third title by a half point. Prost won 7 times (vs. Lauda's 5) and had more points, but the rule was that only the best 11 results counted and thus Lauda earned the title. Nobody remembers stuff like that, everybody knows Lauda won his third WDC. Nowadays, nobody would suggest Lauda didn't deserve the title.

I think double points suck, but it wouldn't be the first time a WDC was decided in such a blatantly unfair and arbitrary manner. But at least the "11 best results" rule was intended to be fair -to cancel out DNF's due to circumstances beyond the driver's control. The double points rule is there only to reduce the chances of the title being decided long before the end of the season.
Some people remember stuff like that. Senna beat Prost with the exact same rule infarct.

The old points scheme put emphasis on the best results spread out over an entire season. If anything that rule shows who is more deserving of the tittle, because it puts less emphasis on luck (bad luck). Double points in the last race is the exact opposite. luck factors into the equation more, because it puts a lot of emphasis on one particular race.
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
zeph wrote:In 1984 Lauda win his third title by a half point. Prost won 7 times (vs. Lauda's 5) and had more points, but the rule was that only the best 11 results counted and thus Lauda earned the title. Nobody remembers stuff like that, everybody knows Lauda won his third WDC. Nowadays, nobody would suggest Lauda didn't deserve the title.

Some people remember stuff like that. Senna beat Prost with the exact same rule infarct.

The old points scheme put emphasis on the best results spread out over an entire season. If anything that rule shows who is more deserving of the tittle, because it puts less emphasis on luck (bad luck). Double points in the last race is the exact opposite. luck factors into the equation more, because it puts a lot of emphasis on one particular race.
The definition of WC is having the most points at the end of the season under the rules that apply, not the fastest driver per see.

If Ecclesone's plan from a few years back had come trough, HAM would be WC right now (most wins in a season) and looking back, MAS would be champion in '08.

That Prost lost the WC twice when he had more points then his teammate is unfortunately, but maybe it means he didn't take enough risk.

But I'm very impressed with HAM this season, he's controlled, fast, waits for opportunities, not afraid. For me there are two reasons ROS is still so close. One of course is the bad luck HAM had with one more retirement and having to start from last place twice, but also that the Merc is so far ahead of anybody else, that even when everything goes wrong, his teammate comes second without any difficulty.

Shrieker

Jolle wrote:

If Ecclesone's plan from a few years back had come trough, HAM would be WC right now (most wins in a season) and looking back, MAS would be champion in '08.
Hamilton would still have been champion in 2008. He won 6 races while Massa did 5 (here we go again, spa).
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Jolle
Jolle

Shrieker wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Hamilton would still have been champion in 2008. He won 6 races while Massa did 5 (here we go again, spa).

Oh yes, I remember that race, that was a strange stewards call, "gaining an advantage" while literally driving circles around RAI. But yes, even with that race it was 6 and 5 (but it should be 5-6)

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

F1NAC wrote:Anyone saw this? Todt refused to shake with Alonso?

http://i.minus.com/iqXphlHIG4lVy.gif

Holly molly... That's something.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Moose wrote:I just hope we don't see this in the next 3 races:
HAM: P1, P1, RET
ROS: P2, P2, P1

You know what, that will make me stop watching F1.

MOWOG

Plot twist: "I never got a hug" - Alonso
Brilliant! :lol: :P

It may be that The Toxic Troll had Alonso in the grip of a certified Russian bear hug just moments begore, but Alonso certainly seems to have a "WTF?" expression on his face. :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Shrieker

foxmulder_ms wrote:
Moose wrote:I just hope we don't see this in the next 3 races:
HAM: P1, P1, RET
ROS: P2, P2, P1

You know what, that will make me stop watching F1.
I'll admit that's what i thought as well... A title win with 5 wins versus 11... That would be a travesty. I would genuinely be saying the same if it wasn't Hamilton losing the title.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

My God, what a boring race. Cannot see anyone going back for more next year at such a boring track. Its like a race in a carpark. Terrible and a waste of money.

dans79

Vettel Maggot wrote:My God, what a boring race. Cannot see anyone going back for more next year at such a boring track. Its like a race in a carpark. Terrible and a waste of money.
with respect, if you want an interesting race, watch Nascar. Most F1 races are boring unless your driver is leading.
197 104 103 7

markn93

How much do people think Lewis 'stroking' the engine as Brundle put it, will actually help it's longevity?

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

dans79 wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:My God, what a boring race. Cannot see anyone going back for more next year at such a boring track. Its like a race in a carpark. Terrible and a waste of money.
with respect, if you want an interesting race, watch Nascar. Most F1 races are boring unless your driver is leading.
No, most F1 races actually have something happen in them. This was truly a dull race on a rubbish track. It's like Valencia but worse. We are losing older style tracks because Bernard needs more money and in return we get garbage like Abu Dhabi, Russia, Valencia, Korea etc etc.

bdr529

Jolle wrote:That Prost lost the WC twice when he had more points then his teammate is unfortunately, but maybe it means he didn't take enough risk.
That only happened once in 1988

Edit : sorry about that I forgot he had 4 more points then Lauda