2014 Russian GP - Sochi

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2014 Russian GP - Sochi

I preferred the old best of 'X' races method. It made it fairer. It's also not the only sport to use such a rule.
Felipe Baby!

CHT
CHT

Vettel Maggot wrote:My God, what a boring race. Cannot see anyone going back for more next year at such a boring track. Its like a race in a carpark. Terrible and a waste of money.
in 2014, No SC = No good racing

Richard

Everlasting tyres = no strategy = procession

Sombrero

Right for the tyres, but fuel consumption doesn't help either here.

Better 50 laps at full speed than 53 at snail pace...

WaikeCU

henra wrote:
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Lewis in total control. When I saw Nico trying a move so late in the braking zone, I knew he wouldn't make the corner.
And totally unnecessary. He had the inside line and was alongside. If he had his nerves under control Rosberg could have been P1 after the first Corner.
Rosberg's race after that big mistake was very good. Not a single sign of locked wheels even when he was doing his sprint to get to P2. Seems he can only drive error free if Hamilton is not directly behind or in front of him.
What about Spa? Heavy lock up when he tried to overtake Vettel at the busstop chicane.

iotar__

henra wrote:And totally unnecessary. He had the inside line and was alongside. If he had his nerves under control Rosberg could have been P1 after the first Corner.
Rosberg's race after that big mistake was very good. Not a single sign of locked wheels even when he was doing his sprint to get to P2. Seems he can only drive error free if Hamilton is not directly behind or in front of him.
"Seems" is wrong. You should re-watch every single qualifying and many races when they were close to each other and this fact didn't affect his driving.
WaikeCU wrote: What about Spa? Heavy lock up when he tried to overtake Vettel at the busstop chicane.
What about it except for being off-topic driver trolling that should be deleted?

Blanchimont

Moose wrote:I just hope we don't see this in the next 3 races:
HAM: P1, P1, RET
ROS: P2, P2, P1
It could be even worse:

HAM: 1, 1, RET -> 341 points
ROS: 2, RET, 1 -> 342 points

I really hope that in such a case Mercedes steps in, that would make my pre season bet on Hamilton successful! [-o<
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Jolle

Blanchimont wrote:
It could be even worse:

I really hope that in such a case Mercedes steps in, that would make my pre season bet on Hamilton successful! [-o<
That would be very likely I think, you don't get a 60M driver, with all the marketing, etc etc, to let him loose the championship like that (to your own, fast but boring) second driver.

astracrazy

markn93 wrote:How much do people think Lewis 'stroking' the engine as Brundle put it, will actually help it's longevity?
The head engine guy said to sky after the race that they only turned down the engine towards the end (obviously lewis was coasting etc into corners because we saw that, but i mean engine settings etc).

He said if everything is working fine its better to keep it pumping hard
Blanchimont wrote:
It could be even worse:

If Lewis wins the next two races then has a DNF which gives Nico the title because of double points, it will be a massive PR fail for F1. It will be the main reason the fans were against the rule in the first place. Expect a sh#t storm and a loss of fans. Also, it would be pretty hard for Lewis to come back from that after what is and would be such a great season for him

Regarding Merc stepping in, what can they do though? Nico would surely know it would be such a hollow victory as well

SectorOne

Sombrero wrote:Right for the tyres, but fuel consumption doesn't help either here.

Better 50 laps at full speed than 53 at snail pace...
And you get that with refuelling, right now people are set with the mindset that they need to do 25-30 laps and will pace themselves to reach that target.

Refuelling would possibly make it a two stop which means tires like these would get properly punished around here as everyone is running around with a third of the maximum fuel weight.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Kiril Varbanov

Richard wrote:Everlasting tyres = no strategy = procession
I said that on TV air and I was accused by Mercedes fanboys that I root for Ferrari. And Williams. Go figure...
The race was pretty boring, I was talking more Silly Season than commenting what's happening on the track. I hope to see Super-softs next year.

Vasconia

I dont know why but Rosberg is making more mistakes than ever since SPA. It can be the pressure and also that he is not a very aggressive driver.

It was a pity because with Nico being p1 after the first corner we could have seen a more interesting race.

Anyway, a tremendously boring track with no interesting corners and tyres lasting eternally. What a loss of time, Tilke go home.

astracrazy

Well its got turn 3 which is pretty good, but like turkey turn 8.

I'll judge the track properly next year though when we get some decent tyres on there, every track would be as boring with tyres that go on for every.

notsofast

Question: When Chilton went back to the pits, would he have been permitted to finish the race in Bianchi's car? This sort of thing happened decades ago. I'm wondering if it is still permitted under the regulations.

WaikeCU

Don't know where to put this, so I put it here since it's somewhat during the aftermath of this race weekend.

Seems like they had good fun. I do hope this doesn't cause a stir with F1 associated with drinking.

This picture proves that F1 can be a close environment, a family.

Should Kimi be flying the plane? :D