2014 Russian GP - Sochi

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: 2014 Russian GP - Sochi

SectorOne wrote:
BanMeToo wrote:
Ok then, let´s see what happens....
But just to remind you..Mercedes has always been much faster in the races compared to their competitors then qualifying.

Also regarding sectors,

Bottas was only faster in Sector 1. Hamilton got Sector 2 and Rosberg Sector 3.
Yep. Wrong on both counts for me. Shame the race turned out so dull... 20 shots of Putin scumming around didn't help matters.
Richard wrote:Everlasting tyres = no strategy = procession
The amount of fuel conservation dragged it down a bit too.

Vasconia

astracrazy wrote:Well its got turn 3 which is pretty good, but like turkey turn 8.

I'll judge the track properly next year though when we get some decent tyres on there, every track would be as boring with tyres that go on for every.
A better tyres and some competence will help, I hope this track doesnt become a new Valencia.

Perhaps I have been too hard, at least the beginning with the first fast corner and the second one where Rosberg tried to overtake Lewis are good, at least we saw a lot of action in that part.

lebesset
lebesset

dans79 wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:My God, what a boring race. Cannot see anyone going back for more next year at such a boring track. Its like a race in a carpark. Terrible and a waste of money.
with respect, if you want an interesting race, watch Nascar. Most F1 races are boring unless your driver is leading.

as johnny mac used to say , you cannot be serious , they even have yellow flags to put in adverts !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Andres125sx

If rules does not allow cars to overtake

Overtakings due to different strategies/tires are artificial, as DRS ones. F1 does need new rules that allow real overtakings. DRS, tires, etc are all patches to hide the root of the problem, but don´t solve it

Ground effect with smaller wings, ban of carbon brakes, stop racing at tracks like Monaco... those could solve the problem and make F1 a real entertainment again, not this artificial and boring circus we have right now

dans79

Andres125sx wrote: Overtakings due to different strategies/tires are artificial, as DRS ones. F1 does need new rules that allow real overtakings. DRS, tires, etc are all patches to hide the root of the problem, but don´t solve it

Ground effect with smaller wings, ban of carbon brakes, stop racing at tracks like Monaco... those could solve the problem and make F1 a real entertainment again, not this artificial and boring circus we have right now
When exactly was this glorious time when cars could pass one another at will, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been during my life time.
197 104 103 7

MercedesAMGSpy

Monaco, Singapore, Sochi, Baku, more and more we will see frustrating races. These 90 degree corners are killing the races. Following a car is difficult enough, not even talking about overtaking one.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Hey at least Monaco and Singapore provide some tension. This race was tense for about 4 or 5 laps total.

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Overtakings due to different strategies/tires are artificial, as DRS ones. F1 does need new rules that allow real overtakings. DRS, tires, etc are all patches to hide the root of the problem, but don´t solve it

When exactly was this glorious time when cars could pass one another at will, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been during my life time.
Before aero became dominant aspect

Moose
Moose

Andres125sx wrote:When exactly was this glorious time when cars could pass one another at will, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been during my life time.
Before aero became dominant aspect
So, 1960 then? How many F1 races from them have you actually watched?

langwadt
langwadt

Sombrero wrote:Right for the tyres, but fuel consumption doesn't help either here.

Better 50 laps at full speed than 53 at snail pace...
yeh they really need to adjust the fuel allowance or the number of laps for each race, coasting half the race and radio messages that the fuel situation is "desperate" isn't good

prince
prince

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Monaco, Singapore, Sochi, Baku, more and more we will see frustrating races. These 90 degree corners are killing the races. Following a car is difficult enough, not even talking about overtaking one.
Absolutely. I have hardly watched Monaco all these years, just watch highlights and it would be enough because there is no entertainment. The stupid street circuits are total turn-offs. I am quite sure if there is a voting for Monza, Spa and these street circuits, the answer would be a thumping majority towards Monza and Spa. I am picking Monza and Spa, but all the other great circuits are also included in them.
Andres125sx wrote:
Perfect. Reduce stupid draggy downforce disturbing a chasing car, which kills lining up for overakes in normal, DRS unaided moves. Make those tight/stable rear dance a bit more and it will differentiate between great and ordinary drivers (aka Vettel).

turbof1

It's fun and special to have ONE of those once a season. I mean a street circuit is still special, and if you go each year to a different place it makes up for the boring race.

However, 4 of those is way too much.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

How about awarding points for qualifying and then start them in reverse order? The points for qualifying will give incentive to teams to qualify up front and the reverse order will make them come through the field.

As long as you have quicker cars qualifying, starting and finishing up front, you wont have many overtaking situations...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Richard
Richard

dans79 wrote:

Fangio won his WDCs using strategies, most notably in 1957. He also swapped cars mid race with teammates who were quicker than him. So this mythical era must have been before Fangio's time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_German_Grand_Prix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Italian_Grand_Prix

Andres125sx

Richard wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Fangio won his WDCs using strategies, most notably in 1957. He also swapped cars mid race with teammates who were quicker than him. So this mythical era must have been before Fangio's time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_German_Grand_Prix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Italian_Grand_Prix
I never said strategy shouldn´t play a role, I´m saying I want real overtakings. This is racing after all, if it´s only strategy what counts then we should change the name, maybe Frole :P