2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langwadt

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

Just_a_fan wrote:
SectorOne wrote:So it seems Vettel won´t take part in Qualifying because of his engine penalty. Frankly if i was an F1 driver i would have taken part regardless of where i´m starting the day after, driving an F1 car on fumes is what it´s all about so i´m surprised to hear that from him.
Doesn't his participation in the race rely on the goodwill of the stewards and other teams? You can't just turn up on race day without either qualifying or being given permission from the stewards.
36.1 During Q1, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest time set during
that session, or who fails to set a time, will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under
exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free
practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race.
Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be
determined by the stewards.

dans79

I think this track will suit Lewis more than Nico, as it has 3 pretty heavy breaking points. Nico hasn't seemed as comfortable under breaking as he did before the loss of FRIC.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

langwadt wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
SectorOne wrote:So it seems Vettel won´t take part in Qualifying because of his engine penalty. Frankly if i was an F1 driver i would have taken part regardless of where i´m starting the day after, driving an F1 car on fumes is what it´s all about so i´m surprised to hear that from him.
Doesn't his participation in the race rely on the goodwill of the stewards and other teams? You can't just turn up on race day without either qualifying or being given permission from the stewards.
36.1 During Q1, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest time set during
that session, or who fails to set a time, will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under
exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free

Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be
All he needs to do is do a normal competitive FP3 and he´s good to go.
they can if they want just run on fumes the last minutes of FP3 and he´s fine to start on Sunday.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moose

SiLo wrote:I think Williams will just be faster than Red Bull in all sectors. I just think it's a very flowing circuit that will suit them quite well.
Not a chance - Sector 1 is an almost direct lift of the Ses from Suzuka, something that Williams really struggled with. I wouldn't be surprised if williams weren't bad through the final sector though.

Kingshark

Moose wrote:
SiLo wrote:I think Williams will just be faster than Red Bull in all sectors. I just think it's a very flowing circuit that will suit them quite well.
Not a chance - Sector 1 is an almost direct lift of the Ses from Suzuka, something that Williams really struggled with.

Bottas being 3 tenths faster than Ricciardo through that sector suggests otherwise.

ParkerArt

Kingshark wrote:
Moose wrote:
Not a chance - Sector 1 is an almost direct lift of the Ses from Suzuka, something that Williams really struggled with.
http://i.imgur.com/PUIRvjD.png

Bottas being 3 tenths faster than Ricciardo through that sector suggests otherwise.

The Williams were set up for dry running were are the RBR cars were set up for thevrace; more wing, less camber, high ride height...

SectorOne

Yea not a fair comparison when Red Bull went all-in with a rain set.
The Red Bull will be strong in the transitions no doubt about that.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote: RBR i think will beat them in Q because S1 and S3 but Williams will be faster in the race.
I think williams will beat ric in qualli because of "strat 1" but ric will manage to leapfrog at least 1 of them (massa) during pitstops. There's no way a williams will be overtaken round here on track by anything that isn't W05.

Vasconia

Nice track, the best of the modern tracks with many interesting corners and two good points to overtake, good job Tilke(it was about time!). Anyway last years race was not that good.

I expect another victory for Hamilton, he is in a better shape and this tracks suits him. Anyway I hope Nico can do something in order to put Hamilton under pressure for the next races.

It will be interesting to see Sebastians race, he can prepare the set-up of the cart only for the race, so it should be an exciting race for him trying to overtake so many cars.

astracrazy

Lewis does seem to like it more here looking at the previous two races:

Lewis 1st vs Nico 13th
Lewis 4th vs Nico 9th

Obviously Lewis was in a good Mclaren when he won vs a poor merc when Nico finished 13th

But Nico qualified only 14th last year compared to Lewis's 5th.

You can't look into it too much, but in the same car Lewis wiped the floor with Nico last year really. (i can't remember if Nico had any problems though)

Shrieker

Nico had a problem in qualifying last year iirc.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

astracrazy

Shrieker wrote:Nico had a problem in qualifying last year iirc.
not according to his post race interview, just tyres. He said lewis done a better job

Kingshark

astracrazy wrote:
not according to his post race interview, just tyres. He said lewis done a better job
Well this year Pirelli are bringing soft/meds instead of med/hards, so that should theoretically help him.

Just_a_fan

langwadt wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
exceptional circumstances
however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free
The key part being the "exceptional circumstances" bit. Is it exceptional circumstances that a team decide not to qualify in the hope of reducing the effect of a penalty? I don't think so. I think they should at least be required to enter Q1 and set a time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Kingshark wrote:
astracrazy wrote:
Well this year Pirelli are bringing soft/meds instead of med/hards, so that should theoretically help him.
You are forgetting that all the tires this year are harder, thus 2014 softs = 2013 med, and 2014 med = 2013 hards.
197 104 103 7