2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phillyred

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

PlatinumZealot wrote:Hamilton had no business wining this race! But my God, he stuck in there and applied the pressure - and the west was won.
Ok, I'll bite.. Hamilton had plenty of business winning this race. Except for Q2 and Q3 he dominated the weekend. Fortunately his mechanics were able to get his brakes in shape for the race and Lewis did a phenomenal job keeping his brakes in shape during the race all while out-pacing his teammate.

PlatinumZealot

But, but, but, Rosberg was leading quite comfortably for 23 laps! So I never expected him to just all of a sudden start losing pace... It was as if he was being pushed back by some unstoppable force... just can't wrap my head around it...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MercedesAMGSpy

Lovely move of Lewis Hamilton. I had the feeling all the time Nico was showboating in quali. It's a pattern. Stealing the show on saturday, but not so impressive on sunday. Only reliability can stop Lewis now.

QLDriver

PlatinumZealot wrote:But, but, but, Rosberg was leading quite comfortably for 23 laps! So I never expected him to just all of a sudden start losing pace...
I think in this era of F1, usually if you have someone within a second of you for 23 laps (or thereabouts), they are faster than you and waiting for an opportunity. This is one of the differences I've noticed with Lewis this year - he seems to be much more content to bide his time and pick his moment to pass, rather than dive into a gap at the first opportunity.

jmfdvm

I'm trying to remember, but can't think of a time Nico has passed Lewis on track this year. Am I missing something in my memory?

Imho, passing a teammate head to head is the true of a champion. Points and dnf's aside, Lewis has dominated Nico on track and that means he is the champ, double pts finale be damned.

SilverArrow10

jmfdvm wrote:I'm trying to remember, but can't think of a time Nico has passed Lewis on track this year. Am I missing something in my memory?

Imho, passing a teammate head to head is the true of a champion. Points and dnf's aside, Lewis has dominated Nico on track and that means he is the champ, double pts finale be damned.
He has overtaken Hamilton once, turn 1 in Bahrain, only for Lewis to retake by making a much better move after turn three. So he has never overtaken and made it stick.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Moose

SilverArrow10 wrote:
jmfdvm wrote:I'm trying to remember, but can't think of a time Nico has passed Lewis on track this year. Am I missing something in my memory?

He has overtaken Hamilton once, turn 1 in Bahrain, only for Lewis to retake by making a much better move after turn three. So he has never overtaken and made it stick.
Yep, Rosberg is pretty scarily close in the championship considering that every single on track battle the two have had (that didn't end in a failure for one or other), has ended the same way - Hamilton winning the race.

Kingshark

They were pretty "close" on track in both Monaco and Austria, which Nico both won. Other than that, Lewis has been in a league of his own on Sunday.

Moose

Kingshark wrote:They were pretty "close" on track in both Monaco and Austria, which Nico both won. Other than that, Lewis has been in a league of his own on Sunday.
At Austria they never really battled. Monaco you kinda half have a point, though we all know how much it's possible to pass there.

Kingshark

What I don't understand is how Rosberg consistently match or beat Hamilton in qualifying, yet for whatever reason, time and time again get beat in the race. He is mighty fast over one lap. Logically speaking, there should be no reason to he can't maintain this pace across a race distance.

Maybe if they were still using Bridgestone tyres, Rosberg would be able to pump in consistent qualifying laps without having to worry about tyre wear. Fuel saving also likely has something to do with it. Lewis has Nico beat in both of these categories, he simply understands the hard tyres better.

Harsha

confirms what i felt
Saturday Glory for Rosberg and Sunday Masterstroke by Lewis

Huntresa

So Lewis has effectively won seeing as the lead is 24 and the remaning 1-2 gap is 21.

MattyT

SilverArrow10 wrote:

Spa :evil:

Gerhardsa

MattyT wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:

Spa :evil:
Dont think you saw the same race as everyone else, but if you call clipping Lewis' left rear with the right corner of his front wing, causing Lewis a puncture an "overtake"...then sure buddy :roll:

Kingshark

But he passed him on the exit of Malmedy when Lewis ran wide and onto the gravel. :P