2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

Kingshark wrote:What I don't understand is how Rosberg consistently match or beat Hamilton in qualifying, yet for whatever reason, time and time again get beat in the race. He is mighty fast over one lap. Logically speaking, there should be no reason to he can't maintain this pace across a race distance.

Maybe if they were still using Bridgestone tyres, Rosberg would be able to pump in consistent qualifying laps without having to worry about tyre wear. Fuel saving also likely has something to do with it. Lewis has Nico beat in both of these categories, he simply understands the hard tyres better.
There's something i don't quite understand, Nico controlled Lewis in the first stint today, and at the end of it had better tires.
After the pit stop he has a 3s lead, but then Lewis starts taking half a second per lap from him at will, i mean half a second in the same car with tires in the same conditions, that's way too much...

We've seen Nico do "fine" on stint 1, only to fall in stint 2 a couple of times now.

djos

2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

Kingshark wrote:What I don't understand is how Rosberg consistently match or beat Hamilton in qualifying, yet for whatever reason, time and time again get beat in the race. He is mighty fast over one lap. Logically speaking, there should be no reason to he can't maintain this pace across a race distance.

Maybe if they were still using Bridgestone tyres, Rosberg would be able to pump in consistent qualifying laps without having to worry about tyre wear. Fuel saving also likely has something to do with it. Lewis has Nico beat in both of these categories, he simply understands the hard tyres better.
It's simple, in qually Britney has access to Lewis's data every time he pits during qually, in the race he is on his own and the driver with natural talent shines through.
"In downforce we trust"

astracrazy

iotar__ wrote: As for no business, on a two-stopper a faster at some point driver on the same tyre strategy has every chance of winning the race, luxury Rosberg wasn't given when he was for a change faster in Bahrain and Barcelona. In case posters here close their eyes every time Rosberg is faster and don't remember it.
if i remember bahrain and barcelona, rosberg had every chance to win the race, but he was out raced by hamilton and couldn't get passed and make it stick. In fact was he not on the quicker tyre in bahrain? you may remember times when he was quicker in a clean race - the record books don't.

Kingshark

djos wrote:

It's simple, in qually Britney has access to Lewis's data every time he pits during qually, in the race he is on his own and the driver with natural talent shines through.
Data flow is a 2-way street, and gaving access to Lewis's data should not equate to out-qualifying him 10 times in a season. The guy can clearly drive very fast over one lap, but for whatever reason can't maintain this pace across 305 kilometers.

djos

Britney seems very data driven tho and his race performance seems to have dropped off since the ban on in race driver coaching. Without the extra info he'd seems unable to maintain his performance at the higher level.
"In downforce we trust"

SectorOne

I think it´s quite obvious Hamilton is focusing more on the race itself while Rosberg is partly going for saturday night glory.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

prince

SectorOne wrote:
I think it´s quite obvious Hamilton is focusing more on the race itself while Rosberg is partly going for saturday night glory.
How is that possible? If I am right, we have always heard that there are no Setup differences and like Nico mentioned after Suzuka oversteer issues, "......... It was EXACT same setup ............".

There was only one notable difference happened to my knowledge in race Yesterday where Lewis got 2 clicks to his front wing at first pit stop as he felt there was understeer and Nico didn't. Ted was mentioning that, it just exactly set his car up and it was evident from second stint onwards. But that wing change, is very minor compared to overall setup that can be changed. When so is the case, where is the scope for different approaches for two guys? Statistics don't support it either if you consider the races from Monza. Lewis got pole in Monza, Singapore and Russia and also outperformed Nico. In suzuka though, Lewis kept running wide after turn 9 and locking up the breaks in turn 11. That compromised his qualifying, but he was spot on in Race. In US though, he kept having break problems for Q2 and Q3 after having good practice sessions and Q1.
Last edited by prince on 03 Nov 2014, 12:06, edited 5 times in total.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ismail1991

That hamilton is faster than Rosberg in the races in this year hasn't suprised me at all. When Rosberg and Schumacher were teammates, schumacher was almost faster in the race but rosberg was faster in the qualifying. Maybe, rosberg likes to set-up his car more for qualiyfing than his team-mates

bauc

Correct me if I'm wrong but if ROS wins the next two races than he will be F1 champion right? Stupid double points finish
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

i70q7m7ghw

bauc wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but if ROS wins the next two races than he will be F1 champion right? Stupid double points finish
He won't if Hamilton comes in 2nd, which is very likely. He now must win the races AND have Hamilton run in to trouble.

bonjon1979

prince wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
How is that possible? If I am right, we have always heard that there are no Setup differences and like Nico mentioned after Suzuka oversteer issues, "......... It was EXACT same setup ............".

There was only one notable difference happened to my knowledge in race Yesterday where Lewis got 2 clicks to his front wing at first pit stop as he felt there was understeer and Nico didn't. Ted was mentioning that, it just exactly set his car up and it was evident from second stint onwards. But that wing change, is very minor compared to overall setup that can be changed. When so is the case, where is the scope for different approaches for two guys? Statistics don't support it either if you consider the races from Monza. Lewis got pole in Monza, Singapore and Russia and also outperformed Nico. In suzuka though, Lewis kept running wide after turn 9 and locking up the breaks in turn 11. That compromised his qualifying, but he was spot on in Race. In US though, he kept having break problems for Q2 and Q3 after having good practice sessions and Q1.
It was actually the opposite. He had oversteer so took out two clicks of front wing. Then he said the balance was sweet. Worth noting that while they may have the same aero/mech set up the drivers can make a huge difference in the car with changes to the diff etc. In the past, Nico and indeed Lewis have been fed information from their engineer with regard to each others settings. So Hamilton's engineer might have seen that Nico has diff setting on corner entry to +7 or whatever and suggest that his driver make the same setting change to mirror him. The teams aren't allowed to do this any more so the driver has to make their won setting changes and work it out themselves. I personally think that we're seeing that one driver is better able to do that than the other as the car evolves through the race.

emaren

The battle for 6th was enthralling in the closing stages of the race.

I almost fell of the sofa several times.....

Phillyred

Hamilton can finish second in the last two races and still be WDC I believe.

Alexgtt

Phillyred wrote:Hamilton can finish second in the last two races and still be WDC I believe.
Yes.