2014 Brazilian Grand Prix - São Paulo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hail22

Re: 2014 Brazilian Grand Prix - São Paulo

Ted Kravitz' post race notebook:

On another topic, is it me or did Rosberg mutter to someone "F*** You" on the podium? I swear I saw his lips move to that motion..here is a poor quality video i found on youtube:

Worst podium interview ever using Nelson Piquet who asked Hamilton about his girlfriend is a no no.
Last edited by Hail22 on 10 Nov 2014, 07:36, edited 2 times in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MercedesAMGSpy

I still cannot believe that Piquet asked that. They had a 71 lap close battle, but the first thing he wants to ask is something about Lewis' girlfriend. Rosberg definitely not happy about the podium interviews.

SilverArrow10

He wasn't angry at Hamilton, it was piquet for being a complete numpty by asking Lewis silly questions and not giving the last question to the race winner. I didn't like piquet when he was a racer and he's still a massive tool now. Rosberg shouldn't swear on the podium though, mind you better him than Hamilton, I could imagine the uproar in the press haha
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

zeph

SilverArrow10 wrote:He wasn't angry at Hamilton, it was piquet for being a complete numpty by asking Lewis silly questions and not giving the last question to the race winner.
Yeah, Piquet's conduct was very unprofessional. Fail.

SectorOne

Piquet´s best line came at the end, paraphrasing here,

"Hamilton i wish you a perfect race in Abu Dhabi"

*turns around and realizes Nico is right behind him*

"oh...and you....Nico"

:D

MOWOG wrote:I am unable to explain how Lewis could make up a 7 second deficit during one stint but could make no impression on Nico when he completed his last pit stop only 0.7 behind. Team orders? Difference between one set of tires and another? What's your theory?
#Last corner problems
Rosberg is sitting there with all the electronic candy ready to be unleashed up the hill making it damn near impossible to stick with it in the same car. He hooked it up beautifully up that hill every single time.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Kiril Varbanov

After the dust has settled over Interlagos, the Driver of the Day is now open. Cast your vote here - http://www.f1technical.net/poll/index.php?dispid=287

astracrazy

Kingshark wrote:When did I ever argue that Nico was better than Lewis in those races? I merely said that he was closer to Lewis in those weekends than he usually is.
you said he tends to perform best. im simply saying that its more likely down to other things than the tyres. i wasn't arguing with you.
Kingshark wrote:In Monaco, there was nothing to choose between the two on raw pace all weekend.
In Canada, Nico was just as fast as Lewis on super soft tyres. On the soft tyres, Lewis was a few tenths quicker, but not enough to pass on circuit.
In Austria, Lewis mucked up his own weekend. Likewise, in the final stint, he was no faster than Nico despite both being in clean air.
As for Germany, I'm inclined to say that Nico had better tyre life that race (like he did in Spain), although we never got to see a straight fight.
Canada and Germany you can't speak for because mechanical failures influenced the result. we will never know the true outcome without these.
Kingshark wrote:You don't get a much better overtaking opportunity than the Senna S. Lewis was slightly faster by a few tenths, but not enough to overtake. Catching is one thing, passing is something completely different.
Lewis was faster in s1 and s3. Being quicker in s2 was what saved nico.

You act like im trying to argue with you. I'm simply saying that its more coincidence. Not one of the those weekends were clean so its impossible to say. Monaco nico made a mistake and secured pole (no matter), then its impossible to overtake anyway. Lewis made an error in Austria, which is his fault, but again we will never know. Canada was effected by gremlins so we will never know and Germany lewis has brake failure - so again we will never know.

the situations favoured nico more but none of it was down to tyres. that's all im saying mate

Phil

Was Nico always faster in S2? My impression was that Lewis was slower while close to Nico perhaps because the 'dirty air' made him lose front end through S2 where there are lots of turns?

I really thought Nico would make a mistake though. A pitty Lewis lost it when he had a chance to get him while Nico pitted and that resulted in a stint where instead of putting pressure, he had to make up 7 seconds of time. Very impressed that he managed to bring down the gap again and make it exciting. Glad Lewis's error didn't result in a damaged car too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

sectionate

Having just caught up with the highlights, only losing 6 seconds for a spin is ridiculous; bring back gravel traps and really penalise mistakes.

andartop

It is a real good indication of the sad state of F1 at the moment that after a race in Brazil and with the WDC still undecided with 1 race to go, there's only 14 pages in this thread. Simply, nothing to talk about really other than the fanboy ying yang (Lewis vs Nico, and what could've, would've, should've happened if x thing had not happened), where is Alonso going and...that's it really.

I think no matter what happens Lewis clearly deserves this WDC more than Nico, based on race pace and number of wins, and I say this after having supported Nico throughout the year, but I kind of wish that Lewis has a mishap at Abu Dhabi and Nico gets it, just for the sake of fuelling a public uproar that might convince those idiots at the FIA to scrap the double points rule.

That would be the first step towards improving F1. Then I would bring back testing. It was also boring when Ferrari and Schumi dominated, but at least everyone else had a chance to catch up..

Here's to a half decent 2015.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

atanatizante

It the third time after Austria and Austin when Lewis has this issue locking the rears ...
It appears every time when he made changes to the 18 knob - ERS strategy settings : http://thewptformula.com/2014/03/23/ana ... ing-wheel/
And each time he did it just right before he took the corner ... maybe that`s the reason ?

On other note there are quite interesting speeds on the finish line : http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-for ... ifications
How says now that Renault has 50 or 60 HP deficit?
Or maybe all Merc powered cars was setup with high DF levels thinking it'll be a wet race? :wink:

Regarding Lewis, did anyone saw just a slightly sign that he would try to pass Nico?
I think he approached all weekend knowing the fact that the championship was won already back Austin, don't you think? And that is coz W05 is so good that he could do even a second place starting from the pit lane ... all he need now is to pray his car has no malfunctions or a tyre blow like in Spa when he broke the diffuser ... btw. have you notice Lewis is now taken some prayers on the podium?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Juzh

atanatizante wrote:
On other note there are quite interesting speeds on the finish line : http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-for ... ifications
How says now that Renault has 50 or 60 HP deficit?
Or maybe all Merc powered cars was setup with high DF levels thinking it'll be a wet race? :wink:
Renault is ---. anyway, if you check maximum speeds section you can see mercs clearly prevailing. Plus, it's meaningless to compare race speed traps because slipstream plays a massive role. Also, on live timing you can follow any car and observe it's speed in race trim with no drs and slipstream and all merc stuff was at least +10 clicks on everyone else.

Sevach

MOWOG wrote:I am unable to explain how Lewis could make up a 7 second deficit during one stint but could make no impression on Nico when he completed his last pit stop only 0.7 behind. Team orders? Difference between one set of tires and another? What's your theory?
I think Lewis wasted his fuel advantage to catch-up, normally he is more economical(and in the first 2 stints he was), but at that point of the race he was using more fuel per lap than Nico, either using more power or driving more agressively.

This race was quite "educational" it showed Hamilton with a huge advantage on old tires and tire mangement in general, Hamilton can go harder at the beggining and because of his ability on slippery cars still be damn fast near the end of a stint.

Phillyred

I think Lewis after his spin got a little "nervous" and played it cool the rest of the race only applying enough pressure at the end to hope to force Nico into a mistake and never really making a go of it in the those last 5 laps knowing 2nd was safe. He had pace to spare and tires.

Richard

Maybe he' eased up because it reminded him of China 07 when he only had to finish within one or two places of Raikkonen, but threw the race away in his push to win.

Both this incident and the China 07 incident were due to staying out for one extra lap to try to get an undercut in the pit strategy. In both races his rears gave up and he went off track, at least he didn't get down to the canvas this time.