2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

deterherligt wrote:Just rewatched the race and realized how many gremlins was in Rosbergs car; As he failed to break for T1 on lap 40-something, his DRS was open when he applied the break. An onboard showed this.

I must say that Rosbergs sportsmanship was superb in and after the race. His wish to finish the race gave me alot of sympathy for him.
I think there's more than just the title of WDC. I think Nico is well aware that he's part of making history with the brand Mercedes and that he's simply happy to be part of that even though he didn't win the WDC. Just like Mclaren back in '88, you don't only remember the name Senna winning the '88 championship, but also Prost who was his fiercest rival and also the driver that challenged Senna for the title. Prost also had a fair share of showing the dominance of Mclaren back in '88.

Of course Nico is very disappointed in losing out the WDC, but he's part of something big, which is rewriting history and setting new records. Don't forget, what Lewis and Nico have done this season is truly remarkable. This could just mark the start of the Mercedes era.

PlatinumZealot

ab_f1 wrote:Guys, Regarding Rosberg's failure. Could it be his own making. Read on Matt Somers twitter that he predicted failure couple of laps earlier because of brake bias at 62. I noticed the same thing in Quali as well. So in summary Nico in his quest to extract more performance in quali damaged ERS.
Very interesting... where did you come across this?

I knew that Rosberg turned up his engine on his in lap. His mechanic said, Nico go to G1 and then Rosberg went over a second a lap faster than lewis and actually came back right behind Lewis' gearbox after the pit stop. But, now you are telling me he ran 62% bias?! was that to the front (or do you mean 62% KERS vs Brake disk to the back?)...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrBigglesworth

Does anyone know which of Vettel and Ricciardo started in 19 and which in 20th?

Thanks!

Moose

MrBigglesworth wrote:Does anyone know which of Vettel and Ricciardo started in 19 and which in 20th?

Thanks!
Vettel started ahead as he was penalized first.

MrBigglesworth

Thanks! Is there a convention for this - is it related to car number as to the reason why he was penalised first? Ricciardo must have got past him pretty quickly as one of the first running orders I saw already had Vettel behind him (edited)
Last edited by MrBigglesworth on 24 Nov 2014, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Moose

MrBigglesworth wrote:Thanks! Is there a convention for this - is it related to car number as to the reason why he was penalised first? Ricciardo must have got past him pretty quickly as one of the first running orders I saw already had Vettel in 20th
Ricciardo passed him on lap 1. There's no convention for the order they file the paperwork in, no.

Manoah2u

WaikeCU wrote:
deterherligt wrote:Just rewatched the race and realized how many gremlins was in Rosbergs car; As he failed to break for T1 on lap 40-something, his DRS was open when he applied the break. An onboard showed this.

I must say that Rosbergs sportsmanship was superb in and after the race. His wish to finish the race gave me alot of sympathy for him.
I think there's more than just the title of WDC. I think Nico is well aware that he's part of making history with the brand Mercedes and that he's simply happy to be part of that even though he didn't win the WDC. Just like Mclaren back in '88, you don't only remember the name Senna winning the '88 championship, but also Prost who was his fiercest rival and also the driver that challenged Senna for the title. Prost also had a fair share of showing the dominance of Mclaren back in '88.

Of course Nico is very disappointed in losing out the WDC, but he's part of something big, which is rewriting history and setting new records. Don't forget, what Lewis and Nico have done this season is truly remarkable. This could just mark the start of the Mercedes era.
Agree to an extent - Nico has to do more to be remotely comparable to Prost [ obviously he'll need a WDC first ]. My appreciation of Rosberg as a F1 driver has grown severely, for I haven't really cared nor had any hopes of Rosberg before this season. He was just a 'grey blur' to me; boring, pointless and somebody who'd fade away sooner or later. Must say i've obviously been quite wrong because the fact is Nico was a very strong and fierce competitor. I would have enjoyed seeing a tense battle at the end of this race instead of nico's vehicle failing miserably.

for Nico, next year will be frankly which will matter most to how he'll be remembered and respected. I'd say a comparison with Mark Webber wouldn't be too far off; regardless on whether MW vs NR as which one would be better; the comparison lays in Mark just had 1 season where he was a real threat and competitor to Vettel - and with all do respect to Mark Webber, i would have like him to get a WDC under his belt - but the years after he didn't come even close to his battle back then. So in short; he fell short or disappointed. Not as a driver, but as a WDC competitor, he did.

And this is imho where the key to Nico's glory will lay; Will he be able to battle for WDC again next year? Only time will tell.

Either way, I think Nico can be very proud and very happy with his achievements this year, Lewis didn't get his WDC in his first year in a WDC competetive car, and just fell short. He did get his title the year after, so who knows - Nico shouldn't feel like he's lost his only opportunity at this.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MrBigglesworth

Moose wrote:
MrBigglesworth wrote:Thanks! Is there a convention for this - is it related to car number as to the reason why he was penalised first? Ricciardo must have got past him pretty quickly as one of the first running orders I saw already had Vettel (edit/) behind
Ricciardo passed him on lap 1. There's no convention for the order they file the paperwork in, no.
I just rewatched the start and you clearly see Ricciardo leave the garage first, but its not clear how they actually line up in the pit stop (BBC was too zoomed out and didn't really comment on it). The first running order I saw had Ric in 17 and Vettel in 18 at the start of lap two. Just seems strange as BBC made nothing of Ric overtaking Vettel.

deterherligt

MrBigglesworth wrote:
Moose wrote:
MrBigglesworth wrote:Thanks! Is there a convention for this - is it related to car number as to the reason why he was penalised first? Ricciardo must have got past him pretty quickly as one of the first running orders I saw already had Vettel (edit/) behind
I just rewatched the start and you clearly see Ricciardo leave the garage first, but its not clear how they actually line up in the pit stop (BBC was too zoomed out and didn't really comment on it). The first running order I saw had Ric in 17 and Vettel in 18 at the start of lap two. Just seems strange as BBC made nothing of Ric overtaking Vettel.
I remeber seeing a picture (from twitter maybe?) of vettels onboard at the start, where Ric is in front.

I cant find it now though...

langwadt

lebesset wrote:
langwadt wrote:
djos wrote:I would suggest that is just simple risk management by Lewis - he knew that he could get to the end with his current power levels and simply didn't want to take any risks at all.

But the point was that the radio messages made it sound like turning the engine up/down is done from the pit which would be illegal
the driver sets the engine mode as instructed from the pits ; after rosberg having turned the engine up against instructions earlier in the season in an attempt to beat hamilton both drivers were told that they must always follow instructions as the pits know best
I know, I don't believe Merc would be stupid enough to cheat like that, but you must admit the choice of words were odd and the desperation in Hams voice made it sound like he had no choice in whether or not the engine would be turned up

Richard

Regarding Ricciardo and Vettel on the grid:
F1 Sporting Regs 36.2 wrote:If more than one driver falls into a single category in b) or d) above they will be arranged on the grid in the order they were classified in the previous period of qualifying or, in the case of Q1, the order they were classified in P3.
As for PU changes, the drivers who notify the FIA first get priority over the teams that wait until the last minute. Also drivers who try to set a Q lap but fail get priority over those who only do an out lap, but the outlap drivers get priority over those don't bother coming out of the garage. In a nutshell, those who show willing get better treatment.

http://www.fia.com/sport/regulations?f[ ... egory%3A82

MrBigglesworth

fantastic - that is very very helpful!

lebesset

nio surprise , ricciardo has been getting the jump over vettel all season
correct me if I am wrong , but whereas there are regs about a grid start , there are none about the pit lane
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be