Australian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DaveKillens

I think Button qualified on low fuel, we shall how long he goes before his first pit stop. But congratulations Jenson, well done. Renault executed their game plan almost perfectly, their qualifying effort was a textbook example of good team strategy and execution. Ferrari start the race after a few crappy mistakes.... both Massa and Shu are further back than what their true pace is. Another interesting race to look forward to. :D

vyselegend

I'm not sure Button ran on fumes, since in malaysia he was very competitive with a lap (or two) more than fisichella. I think he really is a good qualifier. Anyway what pisses me off today is M.Schumacher starting quietly in P10 with an obvious one stop strategy, and nobody seems to see it coming, but since the start of the season, I'm worried about a top team driver exploiting this loophole. If Kimi finnished third while starting 22, then MS can win from P10 for sure. :evil: I really think they targeted P11 on purpose.

m3_lover

I dont think the Ferrari is close to the Renault, IF the Renualts are running a regular fuel and IF they beat the honda at the first corner, it is going to be a tough race for any team. Also Schumacher has to beat the mclarens up ahead which is no easy feat
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens

So far this season, starting back on a one stop strategy has worked for many. Kimi and Massa are two notables. So it's a viable strategy, and definitely one should look out for. So who is in a position to start with a lot of fuel? Shu, and Reubens are pretty good choices. And I think JV may be thinking that too, considering how much fuel he was carrying the 3rd Q. And I wouldn't rule out Massa or DC trying a one stopper either.
Unless the McLarens are able to get fantastic times with a lot of fuel, they will adopt the two stop strategy like Button, and the Renaults. Ralf, Webber, and Heidfeld most probably will go with two also. Those three really want to do well.
This is a very unforgiving track, and any error can easily see the end of the race for anyone. So expect a few cars to have trouble, and retire on the track. Traffic may really be a factor, this circuit is tight and with many corners. Some drivers may try foolish overtaking moves.
And everyone is waiting for the moment when the sad luck McLarens break out and show the incredible pace we all know they have the potential to display.
Can't wait, just a few hours more ... :wink:

f1.redbaron

I don't think that Button has a chance against the 4 guys behind him + M. Schumacher who will be strarting a few rows back. I'm predicting a first win of '06 for Kimi.

vyselegend

Yep I think the maccas are very serious here on heavy loads. But this year they'll have to deal with TWO Renaults. I mean, last year, despite all the excuses advanced, Giancarlo was like a ghost most of times. But you know some people often speak about a "declic" that have to occur in a driver's mind (I especially read this about JB) and I think Giancarlo did have this declic in malaysia. He had to put himself in question in winter testing (I think kimi's overtake move on him in Japan marked him for sure) and then a friend of him died, and he swore to himself he had to win, then he calmly achieved it. He does no longer show the anxious face he had before, I think he matured.
DaveKillens wrote:Can't wait, just a few hours more ... :wink:
If you could see me! I can't stand still... Five hours to go [-o<

m3_lover

I think Kimi will beat montoya to the corner, or we might have that famous accident of Ralf and JPM acouple of years ago in regards to the mclaren.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens

Here we go :D

joseff

Well Michael seems very eager to sign for Toyota next year.

f1.redbaron

NO ******* WAY!!!!!!

What an explosion!

DaveKillens

Jenson must be on suicide watch, what a disaster.
Boy, it will take a week to digest all that happened.

Steven
Owner

What was that? I know I know, the most exciting race in quite some time.
I was totally thrilled, amazed by Schumi's crash, stunned by alonso's performance and left silenced after Button's engine blow on the finish line.

Here is my race report:
http://www.f1technical.net/news/2421

weisler

What a race! Execellent for Alonso, but being an American, I'm very excited that Scott Speed scored a point! I'm impressed with his pace so far this season. Well done!

Raptor

That was a fantastic race in quite some time. So many excitements thoughout the race. Right from Montoya's spin on the formation lap to Jenson's spectacular blowup on the final lap. Truly amazing race!

Alonso's speed was astounding! Even Kimi had a hard time keeping up with him. Those Renaults are going simply great!

fwa2500

i was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time (except the friggin ad breaks :evil: ).......what a race.....did you see the damage to Nico's car from the collision at turn 2?

man...........i think i might have to watch the re-run just to re-absorb the action......

and a small step foward in the back of the grid, both SA's finished the race :roll: :wink: