Australian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Raptor

Could anyone tell me what exactly happened in the Rosberg incident? I think Klien blocked Massa, who had no option but to crash into Rosberg. The TV coverage didn't give a clear idea of the incident. Or perhaps I missed a better replay. :(

Sknguy-

I believe Rosberg was sandwiched into Masse after the first turn. Rosberg then managed to limp back to the pits, with his rear wing sheered away. Unfortunately, there was so much going on I may be misrecalling the incident.

zac510

I almost cried when Webber pulled off :( With RSC and both BMW up in the points, he really should have been up for a podium!

Did you guys hear them say that they told Button to stop so he wouldn't get the penalty? That is stupid. I'd take the 3 points any day.

Re Massa/Rosberg, yeah I think it was Massa's fault, but a racing incident really.

kkobayash

zac510 wrote:
Did you guys hear them say that they told Button to stop so he wouldn't get the penalty? That is stupid. I'd take the 3 points any day.
Ye they did. Dont know if its stupid or not yet to me, have to wait till imola and see... if he finished honda would only have gotten 3 more points neways :roll:

does nebody know if speed lost his 8th place?? i heard he did to DC after the race cos he passed under yellows. not sure tho, does nebody noe??

Tp
Tp

does nebody know if speed lost his 8th place?? i heard he did to DC after the race cos he passed under yellows. not sure tho, does nebody noe??

Yes he did loose his points.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35481

Principessa

Well well, what an interesting race today!

What was Juan Pablo Montoya doing during the formation lap?? I really think it's a lack of focus! He did well afterwards during the race, but what was he doing there!

Too bad for Giancarlo Fisichella :( ! A real pity that his engine stalled on the grid. But great race afterwards.

Massa...not his fault! Massa got sandwiched between Rosberg and Klien and Massa and Rosberg hit each other! Really a shame for Rosberg. And Mark Webber....he was driving a great race I think and than some stupid gearbox problem! I really hoped he would be on the podium today in his Australian GP!

=D> =D> =D> For the BMW Sauber F1 Team! Amazing day for them! Jacques Villeneuve had super good race! Starting 19th and finishing in the points! Great!
A lot of people don't notice him, but Nick Heidfeld has already been good in all the 3 races! Really good job :wink:

But of course...FERNANDO ALONSO!! Really agressive driving in the beginning, he really fight hard for Button's spot!

I really think this was a very amusing race! What a great season so far!

DaveKillens

Well, for an older fan of motor racing, I have to say this race was definitely one of the most memorable races I have ever seen. Was it a "great" race? Yes. Was it the greatest race?". I have to defer because although it had everyting you could think of, it lacked one thing, a memorable battle for the drivers on the track, nose to tail, for the win.
Albert Park somehow transformed itself from "just another track" to a monster that gave each and every driver an incredibly hard time, to magnify mistakes, and punish errors. The slightest error was not forgotten, it came back and haunted all the drivers, it forced mistakes, it brutalized cars, it destroyed cars, it stole one man's soul for a time (Fisi stalled on the grid and lost his mojo), and it even killed cars (Montoya). But in great happiness, it did not kill drivers. I don't think that after all the carnage, not one person was actually injured. For that I am much more than happy, I am grateful.
Each and every driver had an epic story to tell, from Alonso's near perfect race and having to deal with seeing his lead vaporize time and time again with the safety car, to Ide somehow managing to bring it home relatively quietly, after such an adventure in qualifying.
Without a doubt, it was one of the most interesting and memorable races I have ever seen in my many years as a devoted and avid fan.

Principessa

manchild

People before me have said almost all. Let me juts add few intersting details...

1.Ferrari destroying all 3 cars
2.Schuey missing Ferrari's garage and walking in Toyota's (getting lost in there too)
3.Fisichella spinning under SC
4.Fisichella beeing told that he is 2 seconds slower by team radio
5.Alonso telling his pitcrew to "relax" and them answering something like "we're chilled too"

BTW, Olivia still looks very nice :wink:

Principessa

Another RENAULT day!

Well, another beautiful day for Renault :wink:

DaveKillens

Honda have admitted they took the extraordinary decision of relinquishing World Championship points to avoid Jenson Button losing ten grid slots for the San Marino GP.

Although Button's Honda expired on the final lap of the Australian GP, the car still possessed enough momentum to cross the finish line in sixth place.

Wow. mistake

manchild

Indeed, perhaps they've miscalculated deceleration: can be -1g if driver takes his foot of the accelerator without any braking at all.

Tp
Tp

It was certainly an eventful Grand Prix, the only thing that frustrated me was the pace throughout the race, M.Schumacher for example was about 4-5 seconds of the pace then suddenly finds a load of speed and pops in the 3rd fastest lap of the race. There was very few consistent drivers out there who kept the pace up.

Tom

Fantastic race.
IMO Honda did the right thing. It is a gamble but it could prove worth while at a circuit like Imola where overtaking is tough (MS last year)

Also Speed, stupid arse, first rule of racing, NO OVERTAKING UNDER YELLOWS! I can understand how he could have made the initial mistake, but surely when he did realise what hed done he should have let DC back through.

I think it was entirely Massa's fault, it looked to me like he punted Klien who was forced to rebound back into him, causing Massa to take out Roseburg.

MS getting the wrong garage, funny, but I can understand he just wanted to get away from the media and think about what he'd done for five mins.

Montoya, ameturish mistake on formation lap but again I can understand what happened.

Klien, very bizzare. I'm sure it was due to damage sustained on lap 1.

Trulli, over optimistic, Coulthard didn't give him as much room as he would have liked.

Thats my race summary and the only thing left to do is congratulate Alonso and avoid Principessa for a few weeks.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DarkSnape

Hiedfeld is given the 3rd place!

Ralf Schumacher's breakthrough podium could be snatched away by the stewards, with suggestions that the Toyota driver illegitimately passed Nick Heidfeld (BMW-Sauber) under yellow flags.

The rumour would explain the fact that official confirmation of the Albert Park results have not yet been published by the governing body, the FIA.

Indeed, Germany's Heidfeld said his compatriot passed him 'within metres' of yellow flags to indicate a safety car period.

He finished behind Ralf, in fourth place.

Anyone has more detailed info or comfirmation???

ps:

What a happy family