Australian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Scuderia_Russ

Olivia Newton John was indeed looking very hot for her age I must say! :twisted: My dad and I did have a giggle at Ross Brawn laughing at Montoya, thought it wasbrilliant. Only sorry that Fissi couldn't have kept the pressure on Alonso, that and Buttons miserable race are why I didn't think it was that great. Plenty of action and excitement though! Is four safety car periods a new record?

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

What was Juan Pablo Montoya doing during the formation lap?? I really think it's a lack of focus! He did well afterwards during the race, but what was he doing there!

JPM: “There was really no grip at all and when I was going to the grid I was worried so I tried to spin the tyres as much as I could, and once I opened the throttle I was pointing in the wrong direction.”
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

Tom

I have seen more S/Cs but I really can't remember when.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

Ignis Fatuus wrote:
What was Juan Pablo Montoya doing during the formation lap?? I really think it's a lack of focus! He did well afterwards during the race, but what was he doing there!

JPM: “There was really no grip at all and when I was going to the grid I was worried so I tried to spin the tyres as much as I could, and once I opened the throttle I was pointing in the wrong direction.”
That's bullsh*t...he was just not focusing! Only a rookie could make a mistake like that!
Tom wrote:Thats my race summary and the only thing left to do is congratulate Alonso and avoid Principessa for a few weeks.
What have I done to you? :(

m3_lover

Too bad Speed passed Coulthard on a yellow flag and then gets fine 5000 dollars for swearing, I have been reading that speed is a hot head and is really self-centered boo to him.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

Principessa, Renault won. We won't here the end of this for ages.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Jason

Ferrari's front wing was the subject of much discussion at the last round in Malaysia. Onboard TV shots showed the upper profile bending downwards at speed, opening up a gap between the wing element and the nose cone, prompting many to question whether this constituted a moveable - and hence illegal - aerodynamic device. In theory this design should help push back the car's centre of aerodynamic pressure. This means the rear would run closer to the ground, increasing the available downforce created by air passing underneath. Furthermore, the front end would become slightly more understeery - and hence controllable - at high speed. Such principles are no huge secret, but only the top teams are likely to find ways of designing structures that may flex at high speed, but still pass the relevant FIA tests. Nothing illegal was found on Ferrari's car at Sepang, but for Melbourne reinforcements have been applied where the upper wing profile meets the nose (see detail), making for a more rigid connection.
finally no more flexing :)
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Principessa: Well, i think I messed the quote up a little, he said he didn't do anything unusual, just wanted to spin the tyres (sorry for that, I didn't have an opportunity to verify it before). It really was a mistake I would not expect from a driver like Montoya . But he spun twice on the cold tyres, not once, so I reckon there was some kind of problem...

Yes, it was not one of his best days.
:lol:
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

Jason

Changes for Australian GP
An interesting, if minor, aero development spotted on the Toyota in Australia was changes to the barge boards, which sported an additional inner fence in their foremost section. This creates a channel which more effectively diverts the lower portion of the airflow, increasing the efficiency of the bottom of the car. Quick direction changes dominate the Albert Park circuit and here the revisions resulted in better stability and improved grip
Small changes for Melbourne following informal communications from the FIA post-Malaysia. The revisions are concentrated on the endplates, in the cut area just behind the flap (red arrows). This area is now bent slightly outwards, with reinforcement along the bend to restrict the flexibility of the endplate and the flap under high loads. The connecting points between the endplates and the main wing profile have also been strengthened accordingly.
It may only be an interim car, before the arrival of the team's 2006 machine later in the year, but the SA05 has already seen a fair amount of development since its debut. A double-decker front wing has been introduced in Australia. The additional upper elements are an integral part of the endplates, as on the Renault and Midland. This solution provides increased downforce with a relatively small drag penalty. A logical, straightforward change from a young team looking to quickly improve their performance.
Another team invited by the FIA to make changes to their wings prior to Australia, BMW Sauber have revised the junction of the rear wing's endplates and its main profile and flap. The shape of the elements has not changed, but the connecting points between them (areas in orange) have been reinforced to prevent any unwanted flexibility and freedom of movement between them.
For Melbourne, the team introduced a revision to the front wing design seen in Bahrain and Malaysia. The main profile is largely unchanged, but the endplates now feature an upward-curving fin (yellow and detail), which closely resembles the one adopted on last season's Sauber. This fin reduces turbulence and hence improves the airflow passing close to the front wheels. This solution is likely to be alternated with the original flat fin over the course of the season, depending on how tight and twisty the circuit. The small change may provide an overall aero efficiency gain of around three percent.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Principessa

Crazy Aussies :P

Principessa

Tp
Tp

[IMG:152:122]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/172/wefefef4cm.th.png[/img]

We know that Drivers are not allowed to overtake until they pass the Start/finish line. So why doesn't Button ease off the accelerator, so Alonso will speed pass, overtaking before the line, so he is then penalised, removing any chance of him wining.

[IMG:152:122]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2650/kijij2yv.th.png[/img]
......................Cooool -Game over

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Tp wrote:We know that Drivers are not allowed to overtake until they pass the Start/finish line. So why doesn't Button ease off the accelerator, so Alonso will speed pass, overtaking before the line, so he is then penalised, removing any chance of him wining.
A lot of data is collected by the FIA, and subject to scrutiny. If jenson had tried such a move (I personally doubt any true competitor would willingly lift off the gas) it could be easily protested by Flavio. They would easily prove to the stewards that Jenson allowed him past.......and then we get into the murky area of defining who was wrong.
Additionally, I believe Alonso was not full on the gas until the start line, and most likely was prepared for such a trick, if it came about.

vyselegend

Tp wrote:
We know that Drivers are not allowed to overtake until they pass the Start/finish line. So why doesn't Button ease off the accelerator, so Alonso will speed pass, overtaking before the line, so he is then penalised, removing any chance of him wining.
Fernando: "He had very cold tyres in the last corner so he went a little bit off line and I was much quicker, but I didn't overtake him before the line, so I was on half-throttle on the straight in order to be side-by-side and then when we crossed the line I was on full throttle."

This feels strange that he could be side by side with JB only on half-throttle! Even with tyre problems, a Honda isn't a Super Aguri, it's hard to belive the Renault would have such an advantage that it could keeping pace on half throttle and being faster at the end of the straight (i mean of course past the line he was full throttle, but what about the speed lost while waiting for the line :shock: ).Plus as far as I've heard, the Honda engine is supposed to be more powerfull than Renault's.

johny

slipstream i supose