2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Chene_Mostert

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Andres125sx wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:BTW race results are not facts or official info, they are results.
Exactly, results are results :mrgreen:

We can discuss about everything, even results, but at least we know on race every team do their max, not like FP or pre-season testing
Chene_Mostert wrote:And were are the "many Analyses" that you speak of? I see a lot of comments & reports that use the word "probably".
Just an example from someone who know what he´s talking about much better than any of us
http://en.f1i.com/magazine/8353-the-fer ... cedes.html

From last paragraph of first page:
Jacky Eeckelaert wrote:it's still too early to say if Ferrari can emerge as a real challenger for this year's title, especially since the excessive heat in Malaysia, with track temperatures reaching 62°C, may have been a disadvantage for Mercedes. Temperatures in China will certainly be a lot lower.
I see you will never believe any word said by any F1T member as you instantly think he must be a Mercedes fan, maybe you can believe Jacky Eeckelaert´s analysis
Belgian engineer Jacky Eeckelaert, who worked for Jordan, Prost GP, Sauber, Honda and HRT
As a note, I know Ferrari right now is the only team who can fight with Mercedes if circumstances are in favour to the red cars, but only if circumstances are in favour to them. At least that´s what most people think right now, including people inside Ferrari

Anycase we´ll see what happens this weekend, at least if you rely on results as a good indicator :P
Jacky also said this:
"For starters, Sepang is very different from Melbourne. With two longs straits and cars submitted to 60% full load the engine's power naturally plays an essential part. But the track's fast sweeps (with extensive downforce sections compared to the chicanes of Albert Park) also emphasize a chassis' efficiencies. On this type of layout a well balanced chassis is fundamental in order to minimize tyre degradation: in this respect, the Ferrari appears more stable than the Mercedes (with Hamilton acknowledging chronic understeer during the entire race)."
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

dans79

Chene_Mostert wrote: Jacky also said this:
"For starters, Sepang is very different from Melbourne. With two longs straits and cars submitted to 60% full load the engine's power naturally plays an essential part. But the track's fast sweeps (with extensive downforce sections compared to the chicanes of Albert Park) also emphasize a chassis' efficiencies. On this type of layout a well balanced chassis is fundamental in order to minimize tyre degradation: in this respect, the Ferrari appears more stable than the Mercedes (with Hamilton acknowledging chronic understeer during the entire race)."
Yes, and that is exactly what would happen if you are having thermal degradation issues.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Chene_Mostert wrote:What happens if it is too cold in Shanghai? I remember Lewis complaining about Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 struggling with cooler temperatures during Barcelona test?
Depends on what the temps were in pre-season compared to China.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

giantfan10

300e that fast ??[/quote]
yes it is... cars in germany are not limited to 155mph like the cars here in the us... at least they were not at the time... at the time i took the no catalytic converter option which was also available... and it was a rental lol

Andres125sx

Chene_Mostert wrote:What happens if it is too cold in Shanghai? I remember Lewis complaining about Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 struggling with cooler temperatures during Barcelona test?
If my memory serve me well, many drivers complained about cold temperatures in Barcelona, so even when Lewis complained that does not mean he was struggling more than the rest

Chene_Mostert

dans79 wrote:
Yes, and that is exactly what would happen if you are having thermal degradation issues.
No, than is not what Jacky is saying.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

dans79

Chene_Mostert wrote: No, than is not what Jacky is saying.
You can read his mind, and know what he is thinking do you? That's an awesome skill, you should to put it to work on sports betting, you would make a killing.
197 104 103 7

Chene_Mostert

giantfan10 wrote:300e that fast ??
yes it is... cars in germany are not limited to 155mph like the cars here in the us... at least they were not at the time... at the time i took the no catalytic converter option which was also available... and it was a rental lol[/quote]

Maybe you were doing 211Km/h and thought the spedo was marked in Mph & erroneously tried to convert Km/h to Km/h thinking you are converting Mph? :)

Chene_Mostert

dans79 wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote: No, than is not what Jacky is saying.
You can read his mind, and know what he is thinking do you? That's an awesome skill, you should to put it to work on sports betting, you would make a killing.
No, read the article, there is no mention of thermal degradation. You are making up that part.
Last edited by Chene_Mostert on 06 Apr 2015, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

miguelalvesreis

giantfan10 wrote:300e that fast ??
yes it is... cars in germany are not limited to 155mph like the cars here in the us... at least they were not at the time... at the time i took the no catalytic converter option which was also available... and it was a rental lol[/quote]

Rental? Where have you rented a 300e that can do 339 km/h?
Not a SLS AMG? :p
:D :o #-o

giantfan10

SectorOne wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: Ferrari didnt cut down a 35 second race advantage because there was no true 35 second advantage...in your brain the amount of seconds car 1 finishes ahead of car 2 is the advantage....that cannot be further from the truth....
Let me guess, Ferrari was just cruising and Mercedes was going flat out in Australia.
Ferrari had no answer for Mercedes in Australia. "They couldn´t hold a candle to Mercedes" as Allison put it.

Please enlighten everyone (as you normally do except it doesn´t even contain any outside information other then your own opinion)
there comes a time when you look at a situation and say hmmmm do i push and wear out this engine that i have to do 3 more GPs with when i have no realistic chance of catching mercedes or do i bring the
car home and take the points? i suspect ferrari did that.....regardless of what they did mercedes won and ferrari didnt ... yea massa was a road block but vettel should have passed him on track.....
im willing to bet vettel was also going as slow as possible to just maintain the 10 second gap in malaysia...
in closing since i'm done with this nonsense i think that mercedes is the car more capable of doing a faster lap BUT ferrari is fast enough to beat mercedes at any race ... thats my opinion based on what little we have seen so far...
Allison in his interview after the malaysian Gp claims that ferrari have more horsepower and more downforce they will bolt on the car in the very near future....mercedes also claim they will accelerate their upgrades for china... we shall see what china brings in a couple days
then after china we can come back and do this pointless dance.

miguelalvesreis

In all honesty...I think there are too many people trying to get too many conclusions from too litlle data!!

It was Hot!
Ferrari assumed they achieved a better balance between suspension and aero set-up
Merc screwed up a bit on the strategy

Those are facts

How much influence any of those had on the outcome...We will have a better image in a couple of laps

Chill down and enjoy the show!! Really!

Andres125sx

Chene_Mostert wrote:
dans79 wrote:
No, than is not what Jacky is saying.
All of them suffered thermal degradation issues, it was 62ºC, that´s hot as hell so all of them suffered thermal degradation, even Ferrari, but as always, it´s not absolute pace/perfomance what matters, but relative to your rivals so if you struggle less than them, you win.

And as Jacky said and I quoted some posts above, those temperatures may be a disadvantage for Mercedes, what means they suffered more than Ferrari, or that Mercedes operating window (temperature wise) is lower than Ferrari.

That´s the consensus right now for most people...

at least if you´re not a Ferrari/Vettel fan trying to convice yourself this victory was only due to Ferrari/Vettel supremacy

Anycase we´ll find out pretty soon, maybe you´re right and we all the rest are wrong, we´ll see in 4-6 days

dans79

Chene_Mostert wrote: No, read the article, there is no mention of thermal degradation. You are making up that part.
Perhaps you should read more articles, than just the ones that support your point of view.
197 104 103 7

Chene_Mostert

dans79 wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote: No, read the article, there is no mention of thermal degradation. You are making up that part.
Perhaps you should read more articles, than just the ones that support your point of view.
Actually that article was brought to my attention in an attempt to justify your point of view...
No need to get uptight about Jacky's article.