2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
giantfan10

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 Ma

a few facts from todays's race.
this is mercedes best track and it showed
williams did not improve, if they had they would be challenging ferrari not patting themselves on the back for staying ahead of a ferrari that started behind them.
the Myth that Hamilton is somehow on some other planet as far as driver skill goes is officially busted...he had the exct same problems following another car that rosberg got ridiculed for and couldnt pass vettel on track.... the undercut FTW.
i'm not ready to call the ferrari upgrades a failure...

djos

Jonnycraig wrote:RB & their drivers being found out big time yet again.

Good to see Sainz again show that talent always beats hype.
How'd that race result go again? No points on Saturday remember. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:
Juzh wrote:He couldn't get past vettel, how could he get passed rosberg in a much faster car?
The Ferrari is faster in a straight line. That was the problem here.
Not really. Where are you getting this info?

SectorOne

Juzh wrote:Not really. Where are you getting this info?
You could visually see it. Just like you could visually see the Williams being faster in a straight line then the Ferrari.
And it´s all down to downforce/drag.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Hail22

I don't know about the rest of you, but I slipped into a deep sleep rather well as soon as the cars went into the first corner at the start of the race...very entertaining stuff :roll:
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

djos

Hail22 wrote:Idk about you all, but I slept as snug as a bug as soon as the cars went into the first corner at the start of the GP...very entertaining stuff :roll:
I found out the result by accident this morning and havent watched it yet, sounds like a real snore fest and i'm thinking I might watch the Indianapolis IndyCar race tonight instead! :(
"In downforce we trust"

GPR-A duplicate2

SectorOne wrote:
You could visually see it. Just like you could visually see the Williams being faster in a straight line then the Ferrari.
The reason, as also informed on Sky, was that although the ERS (K-H) is deployed automatically via software, but it can be turned to manual (not sure of % of energy in manual mode) and yesterday, Vettel was using it as soon as he was entering the straight and escaping from DRS attack. It was perfectly understandable as the circuit does not have any other overtaking opportunities and hence use the extra energy mainly on the straight to escape.

Unc1eM0nty

GPR-A wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
The reason, as also informed on Sky, was that although the ERS (K-H) is deployed automatically via software, but it can be turned to manual (not sure of % of energy in manual mode) and yesterday, Vettel was using it as soon as he was entering the straight and escaping from DRS attack. It was perfectly understandable as the circuit does not have any other overtaking opportunities and hence use the extra energy mainly on the straight to escape.
Its the last corner before the straight that's the problem, cars were closing up at the chicane then loosing out on the right hander leading onto the straight, the dirty air delays them getting on the power.

Most of the overtakes we saw there were due to differences in tire life, when Lewis breezed past Kimi his tires were about 20 laps older.

I honestly think this track needs fixing.

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote:a few facts from todays's race.
this is mercedes best track and it showed
williams did not improve, if they had they would be challenging ferrari not patting themselves on the back for staying ahead of a ferrari that started behind them.
the Myth that Hamilton is somehow on some other planet as far as driver skill goes is officially busted...he had the exct same problems following another car that rosberg got ridiculed for and couldnt pass vettel on track.... the undercut FTW.
i'm not ready to call the ferrari upgrades a failure...
Its quite clear that Hamilton is better than Nico when its about overtaking but Lewis cant make miracles, tough his fans think he can. Barcelona is not the best track to overtake but I think he could have tried harder tough Ferrari was fast on the straight and it wasnt easy. But Williams is fast too and Kimi did overtook them, with the exception of the last laps.

Vasconia

SectorOne wrote:Good in my opinion.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEqNsvCWIAEfxb0.jpg:large
Great, Kvyat touched Sainz because he was too optimistic in the corner, Saiz was clever and forced the situation until the Russian made this mistake.

Vasconia

Sevach wrote:Vettel's pace on hards is slower than the Williams, i hope Ferrari understands why their car isn't good at this track.
Mercedes superiority was crushing today.

Edit: Vettel was 13s behind Rosberg before the switch to hards, now he's 40+ with 3 laps to go, Rosberg was saving his tires but still...

Vettel pretty much guaranteed Rosberg's victory.
I still dont understand why Sebastian was so slow with the hard tyres, because they worked well with Kimi. He was slower than Mercedes, his teammate, both Williams, and in some laps even than some of the other cars. Terrible.

Toro Rosso has a serious problem with the race pace, fortunately Saiz did another great race and achieved to get two points.

Mclaren....what can i say? at least Alonso was in a good position, but it seems that there always something in this car which can be broken.

FW17

Should we take Catalunya form as a true indicator of performance?

Sure it is good indicator of how good the car but it will be quiet some time before we see another circuit with such long corners (I think the next one is Suzuka).

So Ferrari may not be in such a bad position, sure they are behind by not as they had been here at Catalunya.

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:
Great, Kvyat touched Sainz because he was too optimistic in the corner, Saiz was clever and forced the situation until the Russian made this mistake.
FIA + special treatment teams + delay = comic relief. Kvyat's last move wasn't very good. He just turned into Sainz, out-braked himself and couldn't turn, they used to give drive-through for less than that. Sainz turned a bit too early too. They haven't clearly showed Kvyat's previous moves but the one that put him inside pit exit line was also defensive which makes it two IMO. Second one wasn't "come back to line before the corner" which is acceptable.

If those moves were OK as they pretend than Sainz overtook only by cutting the corner (they used to give drive-through for considerably less than that too). No "slowed down", "gave room" and "was in front before the corner" linguistic BS changes that. He "wasn't in front" #-o , "slowed down" only to get on the track in front (corner) and "gave room" only not to collide. He overtook by going off track and accelerating, clearly gained an advantage = self explanatory penalty.

miguelalvesreis

iotar__ wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
FIA + special treatment teams + delay = comic relief. Kvyat's last move wasn't very good. He just turned into Sainz, out-braked himself and couldn't turn, they used to give drive-through for less than that. Sainz turned a bit too early too. They haven't clearly showed Kvyat's previous moves but the one that put him inside pit exit line was also defensive which makes it two IMO. Second one wasn't "come back to line before the corner" which is acceptable.

If those moves were OK as they pretend than Sainz overtook only by cutting the corner (they used to give drive-through for considerably less than that too). No "slowed down", "gave room" and "was in front before the corner" linguistic BS changes that. He "wasn't in front" #-o , "slowed down" only to get on the track in front (corner) and "gave room" only not to collide. He overtook by going off track and accelerating, clearly gained an advantage = self explanatory penalty.
Bla bla bla bla!!! We all know your thoughts about this subject for long! Biased at least!

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote: He overtook by going off track and accelerating, clearly gained an advantage = self explanatory penalty.
Exact similar scenario like last year's Canadian GP. Nico cut the corner at the time when Lewis was about to overtake. No penalty then and no penalty now. Back then, Nico gained half a second advantage by cutting corner.
First of all, I am with you when you question FIA's stupidity (inconsistency) in handing out penalties. But, when questioning FIA's consistency, be consistent in picking up instances too. Just don't pick the ones that goes in line with your argument.
I am surprised, you haven't raised concern over out of turn pit stop given to Lewis in Spain. OR have you made peace with that. OR 2 stop to Nico vs 3 Stop to Lewis, first time in their 2 championship duels. =P~