2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mrluke

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 Ma

GPR-A wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
Juzh wrote:Not really. Where are you getting this info?
You could visually see it. Just like you could visually see the Williams being faster in a straight line then the Ferrari.
And it´s all down to downforce/drag.
The reason, as also informed on Sky, was that although the ERS (K-H) is deployed automatically via software, but it can be turned to manual (not sure of % of energy in manual mode) and yesterday, Vettel was using it as soon as he was entering the straight and escaping from DRS attack. It was perfectly understandable as the circuit does not have any other overtaking opportunities and hence use the extra energy mainly on the straight to escape.
Is there any evidence that this was actually happening rather than guess work? On the highlights I dont think we had a little speedo graphic at all throughout the entire race :roll:

Juzh

mrluke wrote: Is there any evidence that this was actually happening rather than guess work? On the highlights I dont think we had a little speedo graphic at all throughout the entire race :roll:
Sky and evidence don't go together. I don't think ferrari was any faster on the straights than the merc. Hamilton wouldn't stand a chance against rosberg in a car much faster than vettel's.

Juzh

Vasconia wrote:
Sevach wrote:Vettel's pace on hards is slower than the Williams, i hope Ferrari understands why their car isn't good at this track.
Mercedes superiority was crushing today.

Edit: Vettel was 13s behind Rosberg before the switch to hards, now he's 40+ with 3 laps to go, Rosberg was saving his tires but still...

Vettel pretty much guaranteed Rosberg's victory.
I still dont understand why Sebastian was so slow with the hard tyres, because they worked well with Kimi. He was slower than Mercedes, his teammate, both Williams, and in some laps even than some of the other cars. Terrible.
It's called being in traffic. After bottas hit traffic he went from +6 to +13s in something like 6 laps.

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:Should we take Catalunya form as a true indicator of performance?

Sure it is good indicator of how good the car but it will be quiet some time before we see another circuit with such long corners (I think the next one is Suzuka).

So Ferrari may not be in such a bad position, sure they are behind by not as they had been here at Catalunya.
The track is a bit of a weird one in car setup. One of those tracks where you either have really good balance or none at all.
I think the Ferrari's will be back on more forgiving tracks.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jordan44

giantfan10 wrote: the Myth that Hamilton is somehow on some other planet as far as driver skill goes is officially busted...he had the exct same problems following another car that rosberg got ridiculed for and couldnt pass vettel on track.... the undercut FTW.
i'm not ready to call the ferrari upgrades a failure...
No he didn't. Hamilton never made a comment about his tyres being destroyed due to the dirty air. He constantly broke into the 2 second dirty air barrier. Hamilton's problem was struggling to pass a car quicker in a straight line around a circuit where overtaking is traditionally difficult. Not the same at all.
Chuckjr wrote:This formulae is completely jacked. Another meaningless championship second year in a row.
I fail to see how it's meaningless. It's always been the idea that F1 mechanics try and build the fastest car and dominate the competition. Quit moaning. If you don't like it don't watch.
Last edited by Jordan44 on 11 May 2015, 20:00, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisDanger

J0rd4n wrote:Quit moaning. If you don't like it don't watch.
+1 =D>

Manoah2u

ChrisDanger wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:Quit moaning. If you don't like it don't watch.
+1 =D>
x10 =D>
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

jericho

I was just watching Ted's notebook, and I was wondering who Franz Tost is speaking to in this clip. Is it Jos Verstappen, or someone else? Doesn't seem to be a happy conversation... https://youtu.be/WrjVlJGi2mo?t=2m41s

Jordan44

jericho wrote:I was just watching Ted's notebook, and I was wondering who Franz Tost is speaking to in this clip. Is it Jos Verstappen, or someone else? Doesn't seem to be a happy conversation... https://youtu.be/WrjVlJGi2mo?t=2m41s
From the back that is almost certainly Jos the Boss.

jericho

Mmmmm, he isn't happy!!!!

henra

Vasconia wrote: I still dont understand why Sebastian was so slow with the hard tyres, because they worked well with Kimi. He was slower than Mercedes, his teammate, both Williams, and in some laps even than some of the other cars. Terrible.
Well, once Lewis got past him via the undercut with fresher Medium Tyres there was simply nothing to gain for him by pushing. Would have just put strain on the engine and the rest of the car plus his Fuel usage was a bit too high at that time. My conclusion: He was possibly just in Cruise Mode.

GPR-A duplicate2

henra wrote:
Vasconia wrote: I still dont understand why Sebastian was so slow with the hard tyres, because they worked well with Kimi. He was slower than Mercedes, his teammate, both Williams, and in some laps even than some of the other cars. Terrible.
Well, once Lewis got past him via the undercut with fresher Medium Tyres there was simply nothing to gain for him by pushing. Would have just put strain on the engine and the rest of the car plus his Fuel usage was a bit too high at that time. My conclusion: He was possibly just in Cruise Mode.
On a tight circuit, offering none to limited opportunities for overtaking (unless vast difference in tyre life), Lewis' chance of winning the race was gone as soon as he fell behind Vettel. In Monza last year though, a similar situation, he fell back to 4th, but came back due to the overtaking opportunities the track offers. Back then he managed to beat the equal car, but here he had no chance to beating a much slower car in front and had to rely on undercut. His only chance was to extend his second stint on hards to the end of race, which was not permissible, even if he would have wished. That would have either given him a win, the chances of which were remote, or he would fallen back to 3rd or even 4th.

Vasconia

henra wrote:
But Sebastian was very slow too before the undercut. What is more, this undercut was posible because Sebastian lost a lot time in the second stint. This is what I was talking about. And that problem lasted the entire stint which has nothing to do with traffic (I didnt see the others so affected by the traffic)

On the other hand it is obvious that when he lost the second position there was no reason to push anymore.

raymondu999

Vasconia wrote:
henra wrote:
But Sebastian was very slow too before the undercut. What is more, this undercut was posible because Sebastian lost a lot time in the second stint. This is what I was talking about. And that problem lasted the entire stint which has nothing to do with traffic (I didnt see the others so affected by the traffic)

On the other hand it is obvious that when he lost the second position there was no reason to push anymore.
I wonder though - could it be that the Ferrari actually is better off putting primes mid-race? With it's kind tyre action, maybe a light-fueled Ferrari isn't working the primes as hard as it should? Anyone have quali data to support/disprove me?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

Anyone got any testing info, Autosport doesn't seem to be covering it, Crash.net has live updates but no lap times.
Saishū kōnā