2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cuky

Re: 2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

Moose wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
dans79 wrote:Since Lewis was out first this time, I assume he gets to make the call at Monaco. And based on last year, I would make sure I was out first.
Not sure but i think they are taking turns. So Hamilton had Spain, Rosberg gets Monaco, Hamilton gets Canada etc.
They take turns to decide - usually they opt to be second. That suggests that Rosberg had the choice in Spain, not Hamilton.

As for making the track easier by moving a barrier back and adding a kerb instead, that doesn't sound like it makes things easier to me. Instead, the drivers will still have to clip the wall there (and on the exit), only now they'll have to do it while being destabilised over a kerb. That sounds harder, not easier.

Not really. This is how that right part of chicane looked last year

You see that barrier is ending right on the apex.

This year in Formula E barrier was moved back and instead on apex there was a kerb

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:Depends on the track.
In the majority of the track they were. I even remember Michael saying that he deciced to return because the cars were slower. In his 40s he thought he wasnt able to drive the 2004 cars.

PlatinumZealot

Cuky wrote:
Moose wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

Not really. This is how that right part of chicane looked last year
http://i61.tinypic.com/2qwlbmd.png

You see that barrier is ending right on the apex.

This year in Formula E barrier was moved back and instead on apex there was a kerb
http://i60.tinypic.com/2cr6jcw.png
That change alone will add three tenths of a second to the lap time if drivers ride straight over that curb.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TheRMVR

PlatinumZealot wrote:Kimi runs good at Monaco but so does Vettel. He hasn't qualified close to Vettel since the year began. 8 tenths down on average. I give him 2 tenths close to Vettel here in Qualy.
I don't think Vettel particularly likes Monaco. I remember an interview with him saying something along the lines of not feeling comfortable there. His results support that, having only won once. Twice beaten by Webber and last year outqualified by Ricciardo. If there is a track where I expect Kimi to beat Vettel in quali it is here and at Spa.

TheRMVR

iotar__ wrote:Not true Red Bull people were making Senna comparisons (as they did with Vettel, a pattern), Jr compared himself to Alonso and Toro Rosso engineer that conveniently didn't work with Vettel ;-) made "best I've ever seen" very recently. So not "some people" but planned marketing by association. He's very young and has a lot of time.
It's not just planned marketing. Martin Brundle actually said it on live TV, so did Eddie Jordan. To be honest I do not think the comparisons are made because of a similar style or attitude, 'Senna' in this context just means very very talented.

There is a hype around young Verstappen, but to some extend I get it. He is so calm and controlled in the car. Look at his overtakes, absolutely stunning under braking for a guy driving his 2nd race in F1 and only his 2nd season in a formula car. I recently watched some of his races in Formula 3 and that's where you see his talent come to life. The way he dominated races, his overtakes and controlled manner immediately reminded me of a young Hamilton. Outclassing the entire F3 field in his debut year, at the age of 16. He just has that 'thing' you can't put a label on. I am equally impressed with Sainz jr. He made a few rookie mistakes like the spin in (I think) Malaysia, but overall they seem equally matched. The season is long however, but boy does STR have an exiting line-up!

iotar__

TheRMVR wrote:It's not just planned marketing. Martin Brundle actually said it on live TV, so did Eddie Jordan. To be honest I do not think the comparisons are made because of a similar style or attitude, 'Senna' in this context just means very very talented.

There is a hype around young Verstappen, but to some extend I get it. He is so calm and controlled in the car. Look at his overtakes, absolutely stunning under braking for a guy driving his 2nd race in F1 and only his 2nd season in a formula car. I recently watched some of his races in Formula 3 and that's where you see his talent come to life. The way he dominated races, his overtakes and controlled manner immediately reminded me of a young Hamilton. Outclassing the entire F3 field in his debut year, at the age of 16. He just has that 'thing' you can't put a label on. I am equally impressed with Sainz jr. He made a few rookie mistakes like the spin in (I think) Malaysia, but overall they seem equally matched. The season is long however, but boy does STR have an exiting line-up!
- there is a hype surrounding every single Red Bull program driver, for some drivers bigger (Vettel) but the hype is consistent and programmed. Which TR line up wasn't exciting?

- with Verstappen it's about age and records. I think that's one reason they pushed his debut and skipped GP2. His argument that GP2 would stall his career is absurd, as long as you perform it won't and his Toro Rosso seat was guaranteed anyway. It doesn't hurt Vandoorne. It would affect the hype if he was outpaced by Vandoorne, Ghasly, Lynn, etc but RB shelters drivers from competition and Sainz is an unknown benchmark

- a driver can be a genius at 17 in F3, dominant in WSbR (like Magnussen) at 19 and only good in F1 at 21. Last season it was Kvyat, labelled impressive talent by pundits like Brundle after every race in which he didn't do anything special, his 2015 season is no surprise, same with Verstappen now. If he's that good fine, it should show on track.

TheRMVR

iotar__ wrote:
TheRMVR wrote:It's not just planned marketing. Martin Brundle actually said it on live TV, so did Eddie Jordan. To be honest I do not think the comparisons are made because of a similar style or attitude, 'Senna' in this context just means very very talented.

- there is a hype surrounding every single Red Bull program driver, for some drivers bigger (Vettel) but the hype is consistent and programmed. Which TR line up wasn't exciting?

- with Verstappen it's about age and records. I think that's one reason they pushed his debut and skipped GP2. His argument that GP2 would stall his career is absurd, as long as you perform it won't and his Toro Rosso seat was guaranteed anyway. It doesn't hurt Vandoorne. It would affect the hype if he was outpaced by Vandoorne, Ghasly, Lynn, etc but RB shelters drivers from competition and Sainz is an unknown benchmark

- a driver can be a genius at 17 in F3, dominant in WSbR (like Magnussen) at 19 and only good in F1 at 21. Last season it was Kvyat, labelled impressive talent by pundits like Brundle after every race in which he didn't do anything special, his 2015 season is no surprise, same with Verstappen now. If he's that good fine, it should show on track.
I don't really need the RB marketing team to show me that he's good. You can just watch his races. None of the former RB/STR drivers ever had this much hype around him, not even Vettel. I guess some people need to see a driver in a grand prix winning car in F1 before they can spot talent. I do agree with you that he will have to show it in F1 too, luckily he has plenty of years ahead of him to show that. Monaco will be an interesting comparison between Sainz and Verstappen.

SectorOne

TheRMVR wrote:I guess some people need to see a driver in a grand prix winning car in F1 before they can spot talent. I do agree with you that he will have to show it in F1 too, luckily he has plenty of years ahead of him to show that. Monaco will be an interesting comparison between Sainz and Verstappen.
I´m sure he´s talented but does his current hype translate to what we have seen yet?

Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna etc they all came into the sport with a bang.
There was no question about their talents behind the wheel. Not just "yea he´s talented that kid" but rather "this guy is one of the best drivers of his era" type talent.

Verstappen? Well some good overtakes in China, that´s it basically.
Sainz has so far outraced and outqualified him and impressed me more.

I hope i get to see more of whatever you guys are seeing but right now i don´t see the X-factor of Verstappen.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach

Vasconia wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
f1316 wrote:1;15.9 pole time last year; we've seen less of an improvement in lap time than expected this year but I suspect the super softs/lack of wind might bump this up again.

Could we therefore see something approaching 2004's 1:14.4? I wouldn't rule it out.

Obviously this is one of the few tracks where 2004 doesn't represent the zenith of lap time, but would still be nice to see current f1 cars lapping close to the cars of f1's fastest era.
The 2010 cars were probably the fastest cars F1 has ever seen.
I would say that the 2004 cars were the fatest ones. Beautiful cars with V10 engines... =P~
2010 were faster around corners, on most tracks the power gap between the 3.0 V10 putting out 940+ horses over the 770 V8s was enough to make up the difference.

TheRMVR

SectorOne wrote:I´m sure he´s talented but does his current hype translate to what we have seen yet?

Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna etc they all came into the sport with a bang.
There was no question about their talents behind the wheel. Not just "yea he´s talented that kid" but rather "this guy is one of the best drivers of his era" type talent.

Verstappen? Well some good overtakes in China, that´s it basically.
Sainz has so far outraced and outqualified him and impressed me more.

I hope i get to see more of whatever you guys are seeing but right now i don´t see the X-factor of Verstappen.
It's 3 - 2 in qualy, still a bit early for a verdict. He is not being outraced by Sainz Jr. to be fair though. Verstappen has lost at least 6 points due to his two engine failures. In China he was on P8 with two laps to go and in Australia on P9 while just getting the harder compound tires out of the way. Realistically that could've ended in P6 or P7. So he is in fact outracing Sainz Jr. at the moment. But like I said, there is a long way to go and Monaco will definately be an interesting comparison.

ME4ME

I honestly think both Toro Rosso drivers have done what can be expected from them thus far. Both have been pretty solid in qualifying, especially in Spain, showing the ultimate pace of the car. Verstappen has shown some great overtaking moves in the races, and Sainz has been pretty consistent. They just need more time to shine, and a better car for it to be recognized by people as a great result.

While talking rookies: Great start of the season so far by Nasr and Stevens as well. Not very impressed by Merhi, I didn't think very highly of him to begin with, he was kind of messy last year in free practice with Caterham. Ericsson is in his second year, but should do better.

ChrisDanger

Sorry I don't have a source (I think I may have heard it on Sky) but apparently Stevens has a different and faster car than Merhi's. I'm not sure what exactly is different, but comparisons may not be fair for this reason. Maybe someone has more detail on this?

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:Sorry I don't have a source (I think I may have heard it on Sky) but apparently Stevens has a different and faster car than Merhi's. I'm not sure what exactly is different, but comparisons may not be fair for this reason. Maybe someone has more detail on this?
The difference between both drivers is too big right now so it must be something. Merhi was more than angry in the last race.

On the other hand, Ericsson is doing a better job this season, apart from the stupid mistake in one race, he has done solid races.

Mesteño

You must take into account that Mehri is not a paying driver, for example in Barcelona he had to let Stevens overtake him with no reason.

http://formula1.autobild.es/noticias/ro ... anero-5163