2015 Austrian Grand Prix - 19-21 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moose

2015 Austrian Grand Prix - 19-21 June

Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria
4.326km (2.668mi)
71 laps

Pole 2014:1:08.759 (Filipe Massa)

Qualifying:

Race:

WaikeCU

Re: 2015 Austrian Grand Prix

Since Williams did well last year. I think they could end up with a fight with Ferrari here in Austria. Mercedes would yet again disappear in the horizon.

ChrisF1

Mods, can we un-pin Monaco and put Austria to the top?

Looking forward to this, I was doing a 300 mile bike ride on the Austrian GP weekend so I haven't seen an F1 car on track here since 2003 :lol:

Phil

Yeah, I much enjoyed last years race too. I think Lewis goes well here; And I'm convinced he would have had pole by quite a margin last year if it wasn't for the error in the last corner which had his lap-time erased. I also quite like the altitude changes. Hopefully Ferrari will be a little closer too in terms of pace. Would spice things up a bit!
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

A nice track, one of my favourites, sorrounded by beautiful landscapes.

I dont expect a so fast Williams here but I hope they will battle with Ferrari, as I see Mercedes even stronger than last year I think that they will repeat the result of the last season.

Anyway I pray for a very strong Ferrari and Vettel reaching the second position on qualy, at least this could add some excitement to the race.

evered7

Looking at the results of qualifying and the gap in race distance I have high hopes for Ferrari. They can challenge for the win I think. Williams might be closer to Ferrari than the previous races.

MercedesAMGSpy

A beautiful track. Mercedes will be strong, but I think Vettel will stay with them.

SamH123

Not sure what happened to Raikkonen in Canada, but Vettel was a good match for Hamilton in race pace, generally being slightly quicker than Hamilton when in clear air so maybe Vettel can keep up with the mercs here...

Honda have lots of upgrades, Ron Dennis made a very positive sounding comment on the grid on Sunday, although a power track won't suit them again

Phil

When comparing Vettel to Hamilton in Canada, don't forget that Vettel was on a two stop race, vs. the Mercedes who were on a one stop. Mercedes had to make their tyres last a bit longer, where as Vettel came in fairly early (lap 7), so his stints were were slightly offset with stronger tyres and different stint lengths on an equal heavy car. On the same strategies, I suspect Ferrari might have been close, perhaps a bit slower, but definately not quicker.

I expect the same for Austria. Mercedes on top, but Ferrari close, but not close enough.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

f1316

Agreed that would be great to see vettel with a trouble free weekend to gauge Ferrari's real pace; I think he could give Mercedes something to think about and make it difficult for them to nurse any issues they might have.

My only concern would be that raikkonen had to save quite a lot of fuel in Canada so with another high % full throttle track, they might have to do the same.

Massa beat the pole record last year so wonder how fast they can go this year (albeit the lap record is actually quicker than the pole record - immense pace on light fuel load by Michael that year, back when quali was with race fuel)

George-Jung

Moose wrote: Pole 2014:1:08.759 (Filipe Massa)
Are you seriously? =D>

gray41

Any guesses on this years Pole time?

Into the 1:07s?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

SiLo

Judging by the times from Canada I would say that pole might JUST break into the 1.07's. I'd be more inclined to say very low 1.08. Don't forget its a very short track so any difference in pace is made smaller by shorter lap length.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

Guessing 1:08.2 pole.

This could get very interesting as i´m expecting Williams and Ferrari to be really close in Qualifying and Race.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

tranquility2k4

From memory (and just rewatched qualifying highlights to confirm) Hamilton was about 4 tenths up after Sector 2 on his first lap over Bottas, who ended up just 8 hundredths behind Massa in the end, before running wide at the last corner. Rosberg went faster in sector 3, so one can assume an optimal Merc would possibly have gone 5 tenths faster. Rosberg really wasn't in the zone.

If you then take into consideration that this year's car has a better engine and by now a better car, they could easily be well into the 1:07 bracket, as last year the pole time could have been a 1:08.2 using my logic above.

My prediction is a 1:07.6
Last edited by tranquility2k4 on 09 Jun 2015, 19:33, edited 2 times in total.