2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

Yes and the weight of the engines. Remember when a 690kg car was fueled for half the race and was like a barge blocking out everyone in the turns..haha..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SectorOne

Great to see some amazing corners again, Copse, Maggots-Becketts complex and Stowe.

Will be interesting to see the gap to Ferrari as well. I´m guessing 8 tenths to a second in Qualifying given no shenanigans.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Miguel

PlatinumZealot wrote:Yes and the weight of the engines. Remember when a 690kg car was fueled for half the race and was like a barge blocking out everyone in the turns..haha..
690 kg or 605 kg? AFAIK, the 690 kg limit only existed last year.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

f1316

SectorOne wrote:Great to see some amazing corners again, Copse, Maggots-Becketts complex and Stowe.

Will be interesting to see the gap to Ferrari as well. I´m guessing 8 tenths to a second in Qualifying given no shenanigans.
So you think Ferrari were closer to the pace on a power hungry track than a flowing track of fast corners? Or is it the increased length of this track that you think will make the quali gap increase?

I wonder. Pace difference in first two sectors of Barcelona in quali was only about a tenth and a half, after which Ferrari lost a huge amount of time in the slower stuff of S3. I still think that the largest part of Ferrari's deficit is in slow corners (and the way out of them) and tend to think of silverstone as not having so much of them, but perhaps that's a false impression.

Jordan44

Merc clearly have a better chassis still based on what we've seen so far, especially in low corners, Ferrari's advantage comes from having a closely matched engine and potentially better engine over a long-run. So yes their closer pace is on power tracks WHERE the track is hot so they don't overheat their tyres.

It could be an issue for Ferrari in the long-term. Their performance in slow corners may be built into the DNA of this car's concept, will be interesting to see if they can tackle it.

Moose

f1316 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Great to see some amazing corners again, Copse, Maggots-Becketts complex and Stowe.

So you think Ferrari were closer to the pace on a power hungry track than a flowing track of fast corners? Or is it the increased length of this track that you think will make the quali gap increase?

I wonder. Pace difference in first two sectors of Barcelona in quali was only about a tenth and a half, after which Ferrari lost a huge amount of time in the slower stuff of S3. I still think that the largest part of Ferrari's deficit is in slow corners (and the way out of them) and tend to think of silverstone as not having so much of them, but perhaps that's a false impression.
Correct - Ferrari have so far had the smallest gap at tracks with extremely long straights. My impression is that the Merc is no better at all on a straight than the Ferrari, slightly better in high speed corners, and much better in low speed corners.

Jordan44

According to Sky there's rain forecast on Sunday. That means a dry race then.

GPR-A duplicate2

Moose wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Correct - Ferrari have so far had the smallest gap at tracks with extremely long straights. My impression is that the Merc is no better at all on a straight than the Ferrari, slightly better in high speed corners, and much better in low speed corners.
The only low speed corner that was there in Austria was turn 2 and to some extent turn 3, but otherwise a flowing track. Based on above conclusions, this should have suited the Ferraris and they should have been kicking Merc's a$$. Well, in the race though, Merc simply disappeared leaving the Ferrari (the faster one) behind. Vettel doesn't hesitate to admit that there is "A BIG GAP", but people here, man :o :o :o

Silent Storm

Rosberg has said it before that W06 is good in high speed corners. So don't expect Ferrari to be close here.

Honestly I don't expect Ferrari to be close anywhere in any kind of track whether low speed or high speed that Merc is fast everywhere.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

ian_s

the only time Ferrari can get close is with high temperatures.

high temperatures and England are mutually exclusive!

Just_a_fan

Supposed to be a heat wave next week. Which means it'll probably snow... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moose

GPR-A wrote:
Moose wrote:
f1316 wrote:So you think Ferrari were closer to the pace on a power hungry track than a flowing track of fast corners? Or is it the increased length of this track that you think will make the quali gap increase?

The only low speed corner that was there in Austria was turn 2 and to some extent turn 3, but otherwise a flowing track. Based on above conclusions, this should have suited the Ferraris and they should have been kicking Merc's a$$. Well, in the race though, Merc simply disappeared leaving the Ferrari (the faster one) behind. Vettel doesn't hesitate to admit that there is "A BIG GAP", but people here, man :o :o :o
You seem to have misread what I said.

SectorOne

f1316 wrote:So you think Ferrari were closer to the pace on a power hungry track than a flowing track of fast corners? Or is it the increased length of this track that you think will make the quali gap increase?

I think Ferrari are closer in horsepower then downforce if that makes sense.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

Miguel wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Yes and the weight of the engines. Remember when a 690kg car was fueled for half the race and was like a barge blocking out everyone in the turns..haha..
690 kg or 605 kg? AFAIK, the 690 kg limit only existed last year.
I meant after the fuel is added. It was 2009 when you could see the fuel weights after qualifying. That was a nice little time for f1, even though the Brawns were dominant.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Spoutnik

f1316 wrote:

The Ferrari is faster on slow corner and strait line, for example they always beat the Merc on the sector one at Sepang, but the Merc take the advantage in the second and the difference is make in the last sector only. But I think the Merc has overall better traction.
The gap in qualy with the extra power of the Merc (strat.1) will be one of the bigger of the season on low temperature I think !