2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jordan44

Re: 2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

Nico was extremely lucky it started raining anyway otherwise he'd have been stuck behind the Williams till the end of the race. The so called luck in that race cancelled out. So Nico's still winning on the luck side of things with Monaco.

Juzh

J0rd4n wrote:Nico was extremely lucky it started raining anyway otherwise he'd have been stuck behind the Williams till the end of the race. The so called luck in that race cancelled out. So Nico's still winning on the luck side of things with Monaco.
Nope :!:

dans79

Juzh wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:Nico was extremely lucky it started raining anyway otherwise he'd have been stuck behind the Williams till the end of the race. The so called luck in that race cancelled out. So Nico's still winning on the luck side of things with Monaco.
Sometimes, I wonder if you watch the same races the rest of us do!
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

dans79 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Sometimes, I wonder if you watch the same races the rest of us do!
I am sure Mr. Juzh knew a SHORT CUT that Nico was going to take at the last lap and emerging in front of both the Williams, surprising the whole world. Pity that we couldn't witness that "out of the world" experience as it rained and gave an easy way out. :D :D

Moose

Honestly, I can't wait to see the first person dare to defy the FIA, and cross the line first by going through the pits. It would be an awesomely controversial end to the GP.

Just_a_fan

It would result in not winning the race so would be fairly counter productive.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

iotar__

Without a doubt rain helped Rosberg to overtake two Williams cars but it doesn't mean he wouldn't have overtaken them on track in the dry, that's exactly as theoretical as your "stuck". Maybe he'd have one attempt and made it stick, unlike Hamilton on Massa. Bad pitstop does not have to be unlucky - it can happen on purpose, that's the problem with mixing rain (no influence) and pit decisions (man made).

As for pointless backwards "luck" mathematics why not stop at Monaco and go back to Canada (Rosberg's "extreme" brake problems and 1-2 s only gap to LH), Barcelona (slow Ferrari, the opposite of Bahrain helped not to lose one more place) or Bahrain (Ferrari's pace, brake problems and/or strategy). I don't know who's winning to be honest ;-).

You say it's luck but do you think Williams overtakes would have been as easy for a driver let's say over 1,3 s per lap slower (over because lap times included two overtakes therefore pace difference was bigger). That's not luck unless you think Suzuka '14 was only luck.

Jordan44

Exactly what I expected to come from you. There was no evidence at all to suggest that Rosberg was capable of challenging for an overtake on track of the two Williams. He closed them down and they increased the gap more, much like Lewis in Canada. I forgot Rosberg existed in the dry.

Lewis's 17 point swing in Monaco was the unluckiest thing I have witnessed this season. That's all I'm going to say, we've already been through this argument so there's really no point.

Kingshark

J0rd4n wrote:Exactly what I expected to come from you. There was no evidence at all to suggest that Rosberg was capable of challenging for an overtake on track of the two Williams. He closed them down and they increased the gap more, much like Lewis in Canada. I forgot Rosberg existed in the dry.
If Rosberg's pit stop had been just 0.1 seconds faster, he'd have been ahead of Massa in their race to the exit of the pitlane, and jumped Bottas on his out-lap, and he'd have been 2nd with our without the rain. This just shows how lucky Lewis was with his 2.4 second pit stop and undercut on the Williams drivers.

BOTH of Hamilton's pitstops were of perfect timing and hugely lucky. Both of Rosberg's pit stops were at the worst possible timing and very unlucky. Rosberg was just as unlucky in Silverstone as Hamilton was in Monaco.

Then there's the 3 point loss in Bahrain because of a BBW failure.

GPR-A duplicate2

Kingshark wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:Exactly what I expected to come from you. There was no evidence at all to suggest that Rosberg was capable of challenging for an overtake on track of the two Williams. He closed them down and they increased the gap more, much like Lewis in Canada. I forgot Rosberg existed in the dry.
If Rosberg's pit stop had been just 0.1 seconds faster, he'd have been ahead of Massa in their race to the exit of the pitlane, and jumped Bottas on his out-lap, and he'd have been 2nd with our without the rain. This just shows how lucky Lewis was with his 2.4 second pit stop and undercut on the Williams drivers.

BOTH of Hamilton's pitstops were of perfect timing and hugely lucky. Both of Rosberg's pit stops were at the worst possible timing and very unlucky. Rosberg was just as unlucky in Silverstone as Hamilton was in Monaco.

:D :D :D :D
Not sure which race you were watching. Hamilton's first stop where he jumped Williams, was slower than that of Rosberg's first pit stop. Williams screwed up their first stop to Massa and an EXCELLENT PIT STOP for Rosberg allowed Rosberg to come closer. AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE TO THINK ROSBERG WAS "AS UNLUCKY AS HAMILTON IN MONACO". That is the worst crap I have heard here.

Phil

Kingshark wrote:Rosberg was just as unlucky in Silverstone as Hamilton was in Monaco.
That's a very strange definition of luck. As far as I remember, Hamilton lost 17 points to Rosberg in Monaco (-10 from 1st to 3rd, but Rosberg equally gained 7 points by inheriting the win from 2nd, so the net win/loss is 17 points) in a race that was dominated like no other in a long time.

In Silverstone, Rosberg was never within a shout of an actual overtake vs his team-mate, much less anywhere close to being in 1st position. As you rightly put it; His pitstop wasn't good enough to allow him to pass the Williams in dry conditions (and yes, indeed it was even better than Lewis's, as it has mostly been this and last year), hence why Rosberg himself said there was no passing the Williams. The rain is precisely the reason that allowed him to get by. That is fortunate circumstance right there. Rosberg had it in Monaco and Silverstone. In the former he gained 17 points relative to his WDC competitor, in Silverstone, he cut the loss by 6 points (finished 2nd instead of 4th). To even compare this with Monaco... :wtf:

Perhaps one can attribute an entire GP to 'luck'. Lucky that a meteorite didn't come crashing down and wipe out Hamilton. Lucky that the Williams even made the GP a challenge. Lucky that Hamilton was in the lead to benefit from an undercut relative to Rosberg who didn't, though that luck was 'made' on Saturday by Lewis, just like Rosberg made his own luck in Austria by beating his teammate in QF... so in the end, perhaps we should be more careful when applying the term luck to arbitrary situations that are rather... predictable. Rain and unpredictable changing surface conditions are not quite the same.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

F1NAC

GPR-A wrote:
Kingshark wrote:

:D :D :D :D
Not sure which race you were watching. Hamilton's first stop where he jumped Williams, was slower than that of Rosberg's first pit stop. Williams screwed up their first stop to Massa and an EXCELLENT PIT STOP for Rosberg allowed Rosberg to come closer. AND YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE TO THINK ROSBERG WAS "AS UNLUCKY AS HAMILTON IN MONACO". That is the worst crap I have heard here.

Where the hell disappeared Ferrari's pitstop speed :cry:

Jordan44

I think they changed the mechanism and the lack of experience with it is showing in their pitstop times.

PlatinumZealot

Kingshark wrote:

Kingshark, don't be like Nico now, why won't you remove that sanitary napkin from over your eyes?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vasconia

J0rd4n wrote:I think they changed the mechanism and the lack of experience with it is showing in their pitstop times.
Why did they change it if it was working so well?

Err, its not the right time to create the post related to the Hungarian GP?