2015 Belgian Grand Prix - 21-23 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisF1

Re: 2015 Belgian Grand Prix - 21-23 August

Pirelli have concluded their investigation in Vettel's tyre, and will reveal the findings at Monza.

Afterburner

Let me make a prediction, Vettel's tyre fail was due to high wear and the nature of the track, lots of high kerbs, and Vettel lapping too hard over the kerbs for too many laps!

Pirelli recomendations from now on:
- don't run over the kerbs,
- maximum number of laps with a set of tyre must be less than 15 laps.

Afterburner

Jonnycraig wrote:Tyre cut by debris.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... owout.html
Diagonal reading leads to half truths...

"full investigation has found the failure was caused by a cut to the tyre, likely from a piece of debris or one of the circuit’s curbs."

It's embarrasing for pirelli, their tyres can't handle F1 standards.

Moose

The tire being damaged does make a lot of sense. After all, it was revealed afterwards that the other 3 tires appeared to be in a good state of wear, and the rear right tire is not one that takes a lot of load at Spa.

That said, the "by debris" bit is the bit I'm not completely sure of. We've had a bunch of people asserting that their tires have appeared to be cut after runs. Could it be that certain high speed & downforce circuits (Spa, Silverstone, Korea, Japan) load the tires in a certain way, and that that can cause the rubber to split? That would explain a whole lot of failures that the Pirellis have at generally similar types of circuit.

ChrisF1

Pirelli must be praying for something to distract from the tyre conversation this weekend. The majority of people here all said that it couldn't have been wear issues, and it seemed strange for Pirelli to come out and state it was the cause before investigating it.

GPR-A duplicate2

Can someone lock this thread please? For the last few pages, its just the nonsense of PIRELLI. OR may be create a seperate PIRELLI thread and leave the people to crib there.

Phil

Afterburner wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Tyre cut by debris.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... owout.html
Diagonal reading leads to half truths...

"full investigation has found the failure was caused by a cut to the tyre, likely from a piece of debris or one of the circuit’s curbs."

It's embarrasing for pirelli, their tyres can't handle F1 standards.
I agree. They should use these tires in the future:

#-o
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jonnycraig

Moose wrote:That said, the "by debris" bit is the bit I'm not completely sure of. We've had a bunch of people asserting that their tires have appeared to be cut after runs. Could it be that certain high speed & downforce circuits (Spa, Silverstone, Korea, Japan) load the tires in a certain way, and that that can cause the rubber to split? That would explain a whole lot of failures that the Pirellis have at generally similar types of circuit.
Think you're being a bit naive there Moose old chap. 'Cut by debris' is a very wide ranging statement and is vague enough to cover any eventuality. Don't forget, every tyre at Silverstone 2013, was allegedly 'cut by debris/kerbs'...

i70q7m7ghw

The solution is easy then. Don't run over debris.

I think the point has been missed here. Punctures happen, but it is NOT acceptable for a tyre to blow-out in this way. How many times did we see a michellin or bridgestone tyre explode? I can't think of any times...

The tyres should be deflating when punctured, not exploding! It seems the tyre construction is so weak that when it's compromised it fails catastrophically.

aral

Does anyone seriously believe that Pirelli will say anything other than "cut by external source" ? Vettels tyre did not indicate any deflation prior to the tread parting company with the carcase. The on board video clearly shows the start of the failure being the delamination of the side wall and tread. It would be impossible to ascertain if there had been a cut in the tyre, just as it would have been impossible to say the same about Rosbergs tyre. It is all about damage limitation. Dont blame the team, dont blame the tyre...blame an unidentified cause.

Afterburner

Never saw a slow puncture on a Pirelli, weird thing uh?

rssh

Afterburner wrote:Never saw a slow puncture on a Pirelli, weird thing uh?
Japanese GP 2012 Lewis Hamilton had a slow puncture.

I know it is going far off-topic but are pirelli using the kevlar belt or steel belted tyres nowadays

SilverArrow10

They changed to Kevlar after the Silverstone debacle in 2013
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

piast9

So if cutting the tyre on the curbs was really the issue there would not be a Vettel tyre blow if only the existing rules about exceeding track limits were observed. My prediction for Monza - FIA will say (again) that from now on the exceeding the track limits will be punished due to the safety reasons and in few races time they will forget about them (again).