2015 Belgian Grand Prix - 21-23 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2015 Belgian Grand Prix - 21-23 August

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Mercedes still don't know what happened during the starts, their different reasons explanation is laughable, so I expect another horrible start.

Only postive is that they can overtake the cars in front of them in Spa.
I think people need to watch the Silverstone and Hungary starts again and pay attention to the entire field. The Mercs starts were just average. It just so happens that the two cars behind got amazing starts two races in a row.
Felipe Baby!

Phil

I thought it was well established? 2 races ago; The track was rather dusty and the Williams had more grip. Last race, because they needed to do the warm-up lap again due to someone being out of position, the clutches ran hot and weren't optimally set up anymore.
auto motor & sport wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 54879.html

Da stellt sich die Frage: Hat Mercedes ein Startproblem? "Wir machen es nicht absichtlich. So viel steht fest", bedauerte ein Ingenieur. "Aber man kann es so sehen. Unsere Starts sind zu wenig konstant. Wir hatten zuletzt Probleme mit der Kalibrierung der Kupplung." Oft reicht schon eine kleine Unregelmäßigkeit aus, um das komplizierte Zusammenspiel der Kräfte beim Start durcheinander zu bringen.

Teamchef Toto Wolff verrät, was Hamilton aus der Bahn geworfen hat. "Die zweite Formationsrunde hat die Kalibrierung der Kupplung zerstört. Sie wurde viel zu heiß und ist deshalb durchgerutscht." Spitzfindige Beobachter werden sagen: Felipe Massa hat Hamilton den Sieg geklaut. Es war der Brasilianer, der für den Abbruch des ersten Startversuchs gesorgt hatte. Er stand nicht richtig in seiner Startbox.
Rough translation: The calibration was off due to the 2nd formation lap. Clutch was too hot and didn't grip enough.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

wickedz50

Schuttelberg wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Williams will be having some of the points meant for ferrari in the tow coming races. Might put a big dent in Vettel's mathematical chances at least.
Very bold prediction. I'll actually bet on Vettel beating the Williams drivers even if the Ferrari is slower. Reason? Massa is not as strong in the race. Bottas is quite average in qualifying. And I'm not betting against Vettel when he's an under dog in the championship again after 2010, 2012. Not for getting 3rd at least. I still think he can get Rosberg for 2nd in the championship.
I agree about Vettel's attitude when he is an underdog and hungry for a win.. Williams ( Massa and Bothas) good car but horrible conversion ratio because of the quality of drivers. Williams beating Ferrari at Spa maybe only if BAD LUCK with the car. Ferrari needs a good qualifying performance (lock the 2nd row ) jump one of the Mercs at start and Williams will create a pile at the first corner.
Throw some mud at me if the Ferrari's are out of the podium this weekend.

godlameroso

They say this is a power circuit, but is it really? If you can carry more speed through the end of Radillon, you can carry more speed up the hill. Red Bull proved this until 2013. I think Mercedes advantage is in sector two and three, because that's where the low to mid speed corners are. I don't think Mercedes is better than Ferrari or Red Bull in the really fast stuff like Pouhon or the very next turn.
Saishū kōnā

f1316

godlameroso wrote:They say this is a power circuit, but is it really? If you can carry more speed through the end of Radillon, you can carry more speed up the hill. Red Bull proved this until 2013. I think Mercedes advantage is in sector two and three, because that's where the low to mid speed corners are. I don't think Mercedes is better than Ferrari or Red Bull in the really fast stuff like Pouhon or the very next turn.
I'm thoroughly confused now about where Mercedes biggest strengths really are. Barcelona sector times vs Ferrari made it seem as if it was all low speed - vettel only a tenth off in first two sectors but losing out massively in sector three.

But since then we've seen a relatively stronger Ferrari in Monaco and Hungary than in Silverstone or indeed high power tracks like Canada or Austria. This would lead one to believe that it's high speed where they excel.

Probably, the answer is they're generally stronger on all fronts and setup/updates are making it hard to isolate the differences. But will definitely interested to see if what you say turns out to be true as this may clarify things a bit.

ChrisF1

COuld it instead be purely the way the tyres worked on those weekends then, as we know the Ferrari is very sensitive in getting the most from the tyres.

GPR-A duplicate2

f1316 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:They say this is a power circuit, but is it really? If you can carry more speed through the end of Radillon, you can carry more speed up the hill. Red Bull proved this until 2013. I think Mercedes advantage is in sector two and three, because that's where the low to mid speed corners are. I don't think Mercedes is better than Ferrari or Red Bull in the really fast stuff like Pouhon or the very next turn.
I'm thoroughly confused now about where Mercedes biggest strengths really are. Barcelona sector times vs Ferrari made it seem as if it was all low speed - vettel only a tenth off in first two sectors but losing out massively in sector three.

But since then we've seen a relatively stronger Ferrari in Monaco and Hungary than in Silverstone or indeed high power tracks like Canada or Austria. This would lead one to believe that it's high speed where they excel.

Probably, the answer is they're generally stronger on all fronts and setup/updates are making it hard to isolate the differences. But will definitely interested to see if what you say turns out to be true as this may clarify things a bit.
Our friend has an answer.... Posted in Hungary thread.

On a serious note, how would one know if Merc is faster or not in sections like Pouhon? Because, last year, RB10 ran with a thin rear wing to enhance the performance on straights, whereas Mercs almost always preferred a high downforce setup even on circuits like Spa and Monza. Even this year, other than Hungary, there is no evidence to say RB is a match through any of the faster corners. Last year, in Sector 2 of Spa, Merc of Nico did 59.3 seconds in qualifying and Vettel did 60.0 and RB11 is isn't exactly better than RB10 and neither is W06 is vastly better than W05. Again this year, RB11 has to compromise on their downforce to accommodate straight line speed, so you won't see them matching Merc on Pouhon. It's a fact that, Merc PU is still ahead in terms of power generation compared to Ferrari and Ferrari have to think of compromising power vs downforce for this circuit and if they choose to concentrate logically on power and compromise on downforce (not to the extent of RB), they aren't going to be a match for Merc either on Sector 2. So, you will never get a good answer for the question of where Merc is faster. When you have a class of the field PU, there is every opportunity to add a lot of good/bad downforce and still be ahead and that is what Merc is doing so far.

The one catch for Mercs "NOW" is, what if they have another poor start with new rules, then to cover that aspect off, they need to concentrate on power as there is no guarantee that they can disappear from start line. Their setups in practice, would tell if they are believing so and if they do, then there is reason to believe they would compromise on downforce and might just be slower than W05 and inline with a F15T, but an RB11 isn't going to be a match here.

As for where the real difference is in terms of performance difference between W06 and F15T, I doubt if we would ever find concrete answers.

godlameroso

What I've seen is that Mercedes is much better at tracing a line through corner entry, better line into the corner gives you a much better exit. Just being 10cm closer to a tight apex can mean carrying 8kmh more on exit, or just under a car length, and this advantage grows on the straight. This is magnified in a corner combination, as in sector 3 at Silverstone.
Saishū kōnā

krisfx

AnthonyG wrote:Wouldn't really count on it, it's been bone dry and warm in Belgium so far apart from a few thunderstorms in the evening,
When we went to Spa it was baking hot most of the weekend and just as the race finished there was a completely bonkers thunderstorm, which left us stuck in our car for a bit. I think the weather at Spa is too unpredictable to call even a couple of days pre race.

godlameroso

It's very random and the fact the circuit is so big, at best you can get trends. I will say this, it will rain this weekend, but it should be a dry race, maybe practice 1 & 3 will be wet if at all.
Saishū kōnā

f1316

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10596

So is this sauber going to the Canada spec PU or a sign that Ferrari are bringing the new unit forward to Spa?

Sniffit

f1316 wrote:http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10596

So is this sauber going to the Canada spec PU or a sign that Ferrari are bringing the new unit forward to Spa?
It is the Canada spec PU. Sauber did not switch it then as it was introduced out of the planned cycle.

PlatinumZealot

Yes I would say so.
Left over engines that Ferrari won't use. Sauber get them at reduced price probably.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316

Thanks both. I've read that Mercedes might be bringing upgraded PU to Belgium but so far only that Ferrari will wait til monza. Then again, Arrivabene already pulled that trick once this season by saying no tokens would be used for Canada (turned out to be a lie) so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Just wondering if both teams are trying to cover off the other.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Yes I would say so.
Left over engines that Ferrari won't use. Sauber get them at reduced price probably.
Ok lol.