2015 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2015 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

AnthonyG wrote:Nico's engine was down on power during the start, Wolf comfirmed it.
he also hinted that it might be Nico's fault because of something he did on the formation lap.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121058
"The initial getaway was good for both cars but Nico had a little bit of an issue with a hotter power unit," said Mercedes boss Wolff.

"When it kicked in after a couple of seconds, he didn't have the same power as Lewis.

"This is temperature-related. That was showing up on the formation lap."

Wolff said Mercedes is unsure what caused the problem but he suggested it could be down to the way the driver prepares the clutch and engine on the formation lap.

"It is important to get the clutch and engine into the right temperature window," he said.

"The driver manages that in the installation lap. So they are different procedures.

"Both of the drivers have worked on that. Today, that lap triggered different temperatures in the power units."
197 104 103 7

AnthonyG

That explanation is so vague in many ways.

Must have been quite a difference for so little temprature difference, and I can't imagine a reason why they'd want Rosberg not to run engine at full power the first two corners.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Moose

AnthonyG wrote:That explanation is so vague in many ways.

Must have been quite a difference for so little temprature difference, and I can't imagine a reason why they'd want Rosberg not to run engine at full power the first two corners.
I think you're underestimating how narrow the effective temperature ranges for these engines are.

Even Martin Brundle comments that sitting on the grid for too long can lead to heat soak in the engine, and starting down on power (even when he was racing in the V12 days). Nico sat on the grid for a good few seconds longer than he needed to.

bosyber

Moose wrote:

I think you're underestimating how narrow the effective temperature ranges for these engines are.

Even Martin Brundle comments that sitting on the grid for too long can lead to heat soak in the engine, and starting down on power (even when he was racing in the V12 days). Nico sat on the grid for a good few seconds longer than he needed to.
Do I recall correctly that Hamilton took quite a bit of time to line up behind Pole sitter Rosberg at the end of the warm-up-lap? Might have been the thing that won him the race lead then?

dans79

bosyber wrote:
Moose wrote:

Do I recall correctly that Hamilton took quite a bit of time to line up behind Pole sitter Rosberg at the end of the warm-up-lap? Might have been the thing that won him the race lead then?
That is correct.

I consider that to be part of any good driver repertoire, nothing like taking advantage of your opponent before the race even starts. :D
197 104 103 7