2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Paul

Re: 2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

Don't think he could've cooled the brakes and continued, looked like the disc disintegrated with quite sizeable chunks flying out of the wheel...

iotar__

Edax wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
evered7 wrote:..... But somehow had to bear the brunt of his unreliable car.
I remember a gentleman last year, who said, a driver is as much responsible for the car failures; as this gentleman knew a mechanic who now works for Williams. Earlier this mechanic was working in a team, where one driver was a rich kid and just used to come drive the car and never bothered about understanding the car and consistently used to have car failures. So the mechanic was of the opinion that the driver should spend more time to understand the failures and take care of them. This statement was made when Lewis was having a lot of failures last year and when people here said Lewis is unlucky, he made this statement. I guess that gentleman still has the same opinion, but for Rosberg's situation this time.

I agree there is a bit of a merit in this, but comparing a rich kid somewhere to a highly motivated, charged and totally involved drivers is absurd. Not that I am saying, Rosberg is responsible for his failures this year. Bad luck seems to have extreme liking for Nico this year.
There is not much you can do about a stuck brake pedal so in that sense I agree. But to call two retirements over a year in F1 count as extreme bad luck. Many a driver would vow for that kind of performance.
So now it's not Rosberg's fault but it is that his cars falls apart #-o and he had "only" 2 retirements which is not unlucky? interesting spin of reality. No:
- two engine failures in Monza which cost him a win or a second place and left him with one reliable engine for seven races
- engine problem at the start of Japan, costing him a win (most likely)
- Russia - brake pedal problems costing him a win
- Bahrain - brakes - cost: 2nd place
- Canada - brakes - lost chance to fight for the win
- wrong tyres prepared in Hungary - costing a win (most likely)
- not a car problem but pitstop strategy in GB - cost: chance to fight for the win
Problems in six out of nine previous races including 3-4 wins is not unlucky and everyone would love it? What a hell?

After re-watching:
- I'm correcting myself Verstappen did nothing wrong at the start, Hulkenberg just spun by himself and caused all the mess. Weirdly stewards didn't even touch it, at least they are consistent, right?
- speaking of Rosberg, how can they justify now not giving anything to Ricciardo in Hungary after penalty to Raikkonen?

Andres125sx

Edax wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
evered7 wrote:..... But somehow had to bear the brunt of his unreliable car.
I remember a gentleman last year, who said, a driver is as much responsible for the car failures; as this gentleman knew a mechanic who now works for Williams. Earlier this mechanic was working in a team, where one driver was a rich kid and just used to come drive the car and never bothered about understanding the car and consistently used to have car failures. So the mechanic was of the opinion that the driver should spend more time to understand the failures and take care of them. This statement was made when Lewis was having a lot of failures last year and when people here said Lewis is unlucky, he made this statement. I guess that gentleman still has the same opinion, but for Rosberg's situation this time.

I agree there is a bit of a merit in this, but comparing a rich kid somewhere to a highly motivated, charged and totally involved drivers is absurd. Not that I am saying, Rosberg is responsible for his failures this year. Bad luck seems to have extreme liking for Nico this year.
There is not much you can do about a stuck brake pedal so in that sense I agree. But to call two retirements over a year in F1 count as extreme bad luck. Many a driver would vow for that kind of performance.

Perhaps with Sainz it was more applicable. He knew he had an overheating brake and kept fighting, whereas he could have yielded to cool his brakes and secure some points.
He was asked to save brakes from lap 20, what proves it was not a driver style problem, but something to do with setup or the cooling ducts the team chose for the brakes.

He said he was saving fuel, tyres and brakes for almost the whole race :wtf: and was quite upset because in his opinion it was his best perfomance of the season so far.

I agree, 7th after the crash, and from 20th place in the grid was absolutely awesome

Edax

Andres125sx wrote:He said he was saving fuel, tyres and brakes for almost the whole race :wtf: and was quite upset because in his opinion it was his best perfomance of the season so far.

I agree, 7th after the crash, and from 20th place in the grid was absolutely awesome
Makes sense, they didn't have a lot of running so it's easy to make a setup mistake. Got the impression from the footage that he was trying to outbrake Nasr when his brakes went, which maybe was a bit too much. Don't know if he would have made it otherwise though.

Anyway agree on his performance. I like the attitude of the new guys like Sainz. While the front runners are complaining about not being able to follow 2 secs behind, they are buzzing around like they are in go carts battling away and still have four round things at each corner at the finish. Hope we have enough teams next year to keep them.

cirrusflyer

If Sainz woul finish, he would get +5 sec for driving on white line while entering the pits at his planned pitstop.
Vettel did the same. It was broadcasted an the stewards did not investigate.
If he would get the same penalty it wouldnt matter since he was a lot more infront of Perez than 5 sec. Is that the reason stewards did not investigate? Or there is other reason?
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

djos

Rikhart wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:Didn't Ricciardo try a similar move on Kimi in Monaco?
https://twitter.com/f1/status/653194615412158468
This photo very clearly shows how Raikkonen had a front wheel alongside, i dont think there is grounds for a penalty.
Are you serious? He's nowhere near far enuf down the inside to avoid a penalty, that move is at best wishful thinking!

Shame tho as Kimi is usually better than that.
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

It's about the white line on pit entry, not the white line which Vettel seemed to cross inside the pits. Stewards are very strict on pit entry as a lot of accidents have happened in the past were suddenly a driver cut across the track and dived into the pit lane, either collecting or confusing other drivers while doing so.

djos

Silent Storm wrote:Raikkonen and Bottas incident.. For some reason I find it similar to Ricciardo on Raikkonen in Monaco. https://twitter.com/iceman7news/status/ ... 2795996160
Then you need to go back and watch it again, Ricciardo actual got his car fully along side at Monaco!
"In downforce we trust"

Jordan44

iotar__ wrote: So now it's not Rosberg's fault but it is that his cars falls apart #-o and he had "only" 2 retirements which is not unlucky? interesting spin of reality. No:
- two engine failures in Monza which cost him a win or a second place and left him with one reliable engine for seven races
- engine problem at the start of Japan, costing him a win (most likely)
- Russia - brake pedal problems costing him a win
- Bahrain - brakes - cost: 2nd place
- Canada - brakes - lost chance to fight for the win
- wrong tyres prepared in Hungary - costing a win (most likely)
- not a car problem but pitstop strategy in GB - cost: chance to fight for the win
Problems in six out of nine previous races including 3-4 wins is not unlucky and everyone would love it? What a hell?

After re-watching:
- I'm correcting myself Verstappen did nothing wrong at the start, Hulkenberg just spun by himself and caused all the mess. Weirdly stewards didn't even touch it, at least they are consistent, right?
- speaking of Rosberg, how can they justify now not giving anything to Ricciardo in Hungary after penalty to Raikkonen?
Canada: The brakes overheated because he was in turbulent air on a heavy breaking track. Nothing to do with luck. Maybe he should have beat Lewis if he didn't want to suffer.
Hungary: The same tyres Nico was heard on the radio requesting
Great Britain: Not beating Lewis to pole left him with second priority again over strategy.
Japan: The team even came out and said the overheating engine was entirely Nico's fault

I dream of the day when you give Lewis credit for his performances and simply admit he was better when it mattered. Yes at the moment Nico has had more issues, but would Lewis still be leading the title without them? Yes, for sure.
Last edited by Jordan44 on 11 Oct 2015, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

cirrusflyer

ME4ME wrote:It's about the white line on pit entry, not the white line which Vettel seemed to cross inside the pits. Stewards are very strict on pit entry as a lot of accidents have happened in the past were suddenly a driver cut across the track and dived into the pit lane, either collecting or confusing other drivers while doing so.
It was on pit entry. He put cars FL wheel on blue painted tarmac, only then he went in the narrow road to the pits. Then again he turned right to pit alley. At that time he crossed white line on right side. But rest did the same since that turn is in the pits.
I carefuly watched Kimi. He did not went over that line one lap later. I am talking about white line and next to it blue painted part of the track before fence starts.
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

ringo

This race was not a bad one at all. Lots of racing in it, and passing attempts.
For Sure!!

MercedesAMGSpy

You can talk about reliability all day, but Lewis destroyed Rosberg in quali this year and in the races we see the same pattern. Reliability isn't the reason Rosberg is losing this championship.

By the way I think this is the best race this circuit can produce when it's dry, so it wasn't too bad. Just a shame Rosberg had to retire.

max_speed

Andres125sx wrote:Engineer: Fernando, Massa is behind you, fight him
Alonso: I love your sense of humor!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
this will be one of the best of all time.

Hail22

A remix till your heart's content.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

wickedz50

djos wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:Raikkonen and Bottas incident.. For some reason I find it similar to Ricciardo on Raikkonen in Monaco.
https://twitter.com/iceman7news/status/ ... 2795996160
Then you need to go back and watch it again, Ricciardo actual got his car fully along side at Monaco!
This was an easy call to blame Kimi because he was coming from behind. The video clearly shows a gap available where Kimi could sneak in before Bothas slammed it closed. On another day or if this was not the last lap then definitely both of them would have been more considerate to each other. The desperation showed on both.
Wondering if Kimi should have waited 2 more corners for his move on Bothas. Was there a clean chance available to him? A bad judgement cannot be called a rash move and in no way takes away the driving ethics of Kimi away.