2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
henra

Re: 2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

f1316 wrote: Bottas had the choice to give space and avoid an accident; not saying he should have done, the corner was his, but you always have a choice.
I'm quite sure Bottas didn't even know what hit him in the first moment. He surely didn't expect an attack there otherwise he would have blocked the line earlier. Instead he went for optimum line for carrying Speed through the turn probably to prepare for an attack on the next straight.
It was clearly Kimi's fault but this is a very rare occurence for him and so I wouldn't crucify him. He simply had a stupid Moment. Honestly: Who of us has never had one?

efuloni

I just wanted to say that we all praise Max for his debut year, but lets not forget that Nasr drives a Sauber (and we all know that is the third worst car in the grid) and is ahead of Maldo and Sainz, right behind the lil senna.

May be Sauber can get a little miracle and be ahead ot them in the WCC?

Silent Storm

A different angle to the Kimi Bottas incident.. 0:04 how could Bottas not see Kimi there, it was not a dive from Kimi he was right there.. Bottas kept the door open like he did with Rosberg last time. Racing incident IMO. https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status ... 6860830720
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

dans79

Silent Storm wrote:A different angle to the Kimi Bottas incident.. 0:04 how could Bottas not see Kimi there, it was not a dive from Kimi he was right there.. Bottas kept the door open like he did with Rosberg last time. Racing incident IMO.
https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status ... 6860830720
look at the video I posted earlier. When Bottas had slowed the car enough to make the turn, and started to turn towards the apex, Kimi is still well behind, it's a total dive bomb.
197 104 103 7

MercedesAMGSpy

efuloni wrote:I just wanted to say that we all praise Max for his debut year, but lets not forget that Nasr drives a Sauber (and we all know that is the third worst car in the grid) and is ahead of Maldo and Sainz, right behind the lil senna.

Yes, let's completely forget that the Ferrari engine is much stronger than the Renault one in this engine dominated formula....

Max is doing great for a guy who was karting in 2013.

Sevach

Silent Storm wrote:A different angle to the Kimi Bottas incident.. 0:04 how could Bottas not see Kimi there, it was not a dive from Kimi he was right there.. Bottas kept the door open like he did with Rosberg last time. Racing incident IMO.
If he takes a wide line Kimi T-bones him, Raikkonen was in no mans land at an angle he could never make the corner, Rosberg was fully alongside at an adequate speed.

foxmulder_ms

How do you know that? He might have had better brakes than Bottas. It is an aggressive move by Raikkonen but I still think it is borderline. If it wasn't penalized I wouldn't be surprised. I am not surprised now either.. :D

Sevach

Speed, angle and distance between cars.

NathanOlder

foxmulder_ms wrote:How do you know that? He might have had better brakes than Bottas. It is an aggressive move by Raikkonen but I still think it is borderline. If it wasn't penalized I wouldn't be surprised. I am not surprised now either.. :D

Kimi locked up and was taking a line that was way too tight , he was never going to make the corner without being outside the white line on the exit.
IMO he locked up because he realised he made a mistake and was trying to stop the car from hitting Bottas, which he couldn't do.
Have we heard from Kimi since he was given the penalty ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

efuloni wrote:I just wanted to say that we all praise Max for his debut year, but lets not forget that Nasr drives a Sauber (and we all know that is the third worst car in the grid) and is ahead of Maldo and Sainz, right behind the lil senna.

Come on, Maldonado and Sainz have a great collection of DNF. A lot of potential points which have been lost...

I can understand, only partially, the praise for Verstappen, but Sainz is doing an awesome job, just look to his race on Sunday. Perhaps the fans love the "bad boys" like this guy, Hamilton or Senna... but they should be fair with other drivers who do a job which is as good as the other ones.

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
look at the video I posted earlier. When Bottas had slowed the car enough to make the turn, and started to turn towards the apex, Kimi is still well behind, it's a total dive bomb.
I have seen similar movements in the past, with for example Ricciardo, if the other guy leaves some space or its simply scared the overtake works and the other guy becomes a hero. If not, a collision is unavoidable.

Vasconia

max_speed wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Engineer: Fernando, Massa is behind you, fight him
Alonso: I love your sense of humor!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
this will be one of the best of all time.
This is another way(and a much better one) to say "our PU sucks guys, I cant fight". :D

Incidents, crashes and overtakes. This is what fans like. It was a nice race.

Andres125sx

I´ve just realiced, if it was not because of the car (mechanical problems) Carlos Sainz would have scored points in 7 of last 8 races :shock: but his car failed in 5 of them. Only in Monza he didn´t score, what is understandable, but even so he almost do it finishing 11th.

Ok maybe Spa is a bit optimistic, but he was 10th in the grid when his car lost power in formation lap and was forced to start from the pit-lane. All the rest have been retirements when he was in top 10. Impressive

OTOH, in same 8 last races Max didn´t score in Sochi, didn´t score in Monza, and DNF in Silverstone because of a driver mistake wich sent him to the gravel. Not saying that´s bad at all, it is a very good perfomance for a rookie of his age, but it should put some perspective to Carlos perfomance, as he´s a rookie too but is suffering a lot of mechanical problems wich does not allow him to score as consistently as he´s deserving.

Sochi has been the best example of the season, awesome perfomance fighting for 7th position when he was 20th in the grid due to the accident, only to retire 8 laps before the end with mechanical problems :x

ThumbsUp

Andres125sx wrote:I´ve just realiced, if it was not because of the car (mechanical problems) Carlos Sainz would have scored points in 7 of last 8 races :shock: but his car failed in 5 of them. Only in Monza he didn´t score, what is understandable, but even so he almost do it finishing 11th.

Ok maybe Spa is a bit optimistic, but he was 10th in the grid when his car lost power in formation lap and was forced to start from the pit-lane. All the rest have been retirements when he was in top 10. Impressive

OTOH, in same 8 last races Max didn´t score in Sochi, didn´t score in Monza, and DNF in Silverstone because of a driver mistake wich sent him to the gravel. Not saying that´s bad at all, it is a very good perfomance for a rookie of his age, but it should put some perspective to Carlos perfomance, as he´s a rookie too but is suffering a lot of mechanical problems wich does not allow him to score as consistently as he´s deserving.

Sochi has been the best example of the season, awesome perfomance fighting for 7th position when he was 20th in the grid due to the accident, only to retire 8 laps before the end with mechanical problems :x

Hello Andres125sx, Max did score in Sochi due to Alonso's penalty (Kept cutting the corners). He also had damage to the car that wasn't his fault at all. First turn with the Hulk had a flat tire and went really slowly back to the pits. So he had to start from the back again. Just to put it a little in perspective.

Also Sainz was told to cool the brakes as you mentioned in lap 20 or so, so he knew there was an issue. Offcourse it's good that he kept pushing, but after the first spin with the brake issue he knew he had to retire because of brak problems he had only 3 brakes left as it looked. Then he spins it again and that is a rookie mistake aswell. He did had a great race but ruined it himself by over pushing the brakes and himself.

I do think both of them are equaly good. On the otherhand I think Max is getting slightly better in the second half of the season. :wink:

Edit: It is also a nightmare to compare these 2 on a single race, because both had have there share of issues per race. And there aren't that much races they had without both having issues.

Edit2: There are if I'm correct only 3 races where they both had no issues: Malaysia, Spain, Canada (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Sevach

Vasconia wrote: This is another way(and a much better one) to say "our PU sucks guys, I cant fight". :D
I'm looking forward to Alonso finding alternative ways to tell Honda how much they suck, the guy is on fire :lol: