2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

I believe the drivers usually get a warning when a VSC is about to end. I think it was 30 seconds or so before hand.
#AeroFrodo

SiLo

Diesel wrote:
SiLo wrote: Only problem is people seem to keep losing out/gaining during the VSC when by definition they shouldn't do. Barring pitstops of course.
Not really. Its the leaders choice to let the cars catch up, he could maintain his gap if he wanted. The VSC then ends at a random moment, so obviously if you are close to cars in front, you might benefit from this if you react quicker. I believe this is what Rosberg was able to do, he saw the green flag before RIC did and managed to catch him off guard.
I thought the flags get displayed on their dash? So they would all appear at the same time.
Felipe Baby!

i70q7m7ghw

SiLo wrote:
Diesel wrote:
SiLo wrote: Only problem is people seem to keep losing out/gaining during the VSC when by definition they shouldn't do. Barring pitstops of course.
Not really. Its the leaders choice to let the cars catch up, he could maintain his gap if he wanted. The VSC then ends at a random moment, so obviously if you are close to cars in front, you might benefit from this if you react quicker. I believe this is what Rosberg was able to do, he saw the green flag before RIC did and managed to catch him off guard.
I thought the flags get displayed on their dash? So they would all appear at the same time.
Yes, but reaction time still plays a part, and you might not be staring at the dash at the right time. You might also try to anticipate it, which Rosberg might have done successfully.
pob wrote:The VSC rules need looking at, maybe the yellows should be kept out for about two marshal posts once the VSC has been withdrawn. As it stands at the moment a driver may as well gamble on going early if there is a chance of overtaking as the only thing that will happen if he does go too early is to have to give the place back.
Well actually, if you overtake under a yellow (VSC conditions), I believe that's a slam dunk drive through penalty.

I don't really see the issue, Rosberg made the most of the restart, just like a normal SC restart and was able to mug Ricciardo who was caught napping. It's a bit similar to what Schumacher did at Monaco on the last lap all those years ago.

ringo

I think for every corner for each track, there should be a speed limit when the VSC is deployed.

This speed limit will be displayed for each corner, and obvious these displayed speeds will be slower than racing speeds.
So the straights would also have their limits. This way everyone circulates basically at the same pace.
For Sure!!

mrluke

ringo wrote:I think for every corner for each track, there should be a speed limit when the VSC is deployed.

This speed limit will be displayed for each corner, and obvious these displayed speeds will be slower than racing speeds.
So the straights would also have their limits. This way everyone circulates basically at the same pace.
This sounds like a lot of hard work for no benefit.

djos

Jonnycraig wrote:Ricciardo being schooled by Kvyat and then jumped on the vsc restart.
And how'd that work out in the end JC?

Oh that's right, Ricciardo ended up kicking his butt (until hulk damaged his car) and then Kyvatt crashed with an unforced error.

As usual your little vendetta against Ricciardo leaves you looking silly.
Last edited by djos on 29 Oct 2015, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Facts Only wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Do you know what understeer is? it is when you have the wheels locked over but the car does not follow them. now, look at the on board from Hamiltons car...he does not have the wheels locked over. His steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, showing that he was NOT trying to steer into the corner, let alone have understeer.
Have you ever driven a competition car? Or even a decent car at the limit? You dont just put more lock on when you have understeer, that makes it much worse.

This is why they have experienced drivers as the stewards and not random people from the internet who dont know how to drive fast but still think they know better than lewis Hamilton when it comes to driving an F1 car in the wet.
Exactly right FO, some people need to learn about tire slip angles before they post!
"In downforce we trust"

djos

WaikeCU wrote:There's something I don't get with the VSC. No disrespect, but the VSC is a great idea as it is. The problem is, it's deployed incorrectly, because speeds are limited but not completely. Hence why Ricciardo lost a position to Rosberg. When the VSC period ended, the Mercedes and Red Bull cars were bunched up, whereas before the VSC even began, there were gaps between them. Can't they use the pit limiter to limit the speeds, so everyone is basically going equally as quick during the VSC period? If I recall correclty, at the moment they just slow down to a certain speed and that's it.
I have to agree, I think the problem is that the rules don't enforce the max target time as the pace to maintain and Hamilton was able to back the field up bringing Rosberg back into play.
Last edited by djos on 29 Oct 2015, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

turbof1 wrote:I believe the drivers usually get a warning when a VSC is about to end. I think it was 30 seconds or so before hand.
Iirc Ricciardo said he didn't get the VSC ending warning which was why he was so surprised - not sure if this is a team error or FiA system failure?
"In downforce we trust"

ChrisF1

Diesel wrote:I don't really see the issue, Rosberg made the most of the restart, just like a normal SC restart and was able to mug Ricciardo who was caught napping. It's a bit similar to what Schumacher did at Monaco on the last lap all those years ago.
Isn't the issue actually that Hamilton backed the pack up by driving slower than the delta, allowing Rosberg to gain 4-5 seconds, and Vettel to gain 5-6 seconds.

Rosberg can be a baby about it all he wants, but (deliberately of not) Hamilton did him a huge favour by driving slower than the delta.

How is the VSC supposed to work when a driver backs the field up knowing the others cannot overtake him. If Hamilton had been second he wouldn't have backed the field up, he would have been precisely on the delta to try and catch the leader.

AnthonyG

Giving a driver a min time during VSC would be dangerous imo. Not because of backing off, but because of safety reasons.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

i70q7m7ghw

Wait wait wait wait. So we are saying that the whole VSC regs need an overhaul just because 1 driver got caught napping on the restart? I think some people need to get some perspective...

It's the lead drivers choice if he want's to go slower than the delta time and lose his lead. If it had gone the other way and backfired and put the Red Bulls in to the lead, you would all be applauding the VSC. It's no different to a standard SC restart, the lead driver typically backs the pack up in that situation too. I really don't understand the calls for an overhaul. One driver got an inconsequential advantage which had no effect on the final result.

The VSC has been implemented beautifully, and I think it should simply be left alone. It's a fantastic way to deal with a hazard without disrupting the whole race with a lengthy safety car period. It's one of the few rule changes in recent times that has done something really positive for the sport.

Jonnycraig

COTA incurred massive losses holding the race:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/a- ... ain/npBN9/

Probably the most important point is that they think the Mexican race has and will continue to affect attendances. Unless Bernie is going to step in and underwrite the hosting fees, COTA is headed the same way as Yeongam and India.

Jonnycraig

turbof1 wrote:I believe the drivers usually get a warning when a VSC is about to end. I think it was 30 seconds or so before hand.
No, it's left to race engineers to inform them that VSC is ending, and then the driver should return to full speed the second they see a green flag/light board.

The issue of course is the nonsense of giving drivers a delta time to drive to, rather than just sticking them on the pitlane limiter like WEC does and counting them down to green.

But then in WEC, if your brakes or tyres get cold, it's tough luck, rather than F1 where it's the biggest disaster to ever affect anyone, as F1 drivers couldn't dare be expected to use their experience and talent to handle 2/3 corners with sub optimal brake and tyre feel.

skoop

i have to say i liked nicos reaction. it showed that he is a human being with real emotions. give him some time and he'll get over it, "man up" and talk it out with lewis. people cry all the time about the drivers being politically too correct and when the drivers show some emotions or make silly jokes everyone hates them. no wonder they're too afraid to be themselves in public.
Diesel wrote:....
well said, that's exactly how i see it.