2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sgth0mas

Re: 2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

Jonnycraig wrote:COTA incurred massive losses holding the race:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/a- ... ain/npBN9/

Probably the most important point is that they think the Mexican race has and will continue to affect attendances. Unless Bernie is going to step in and underwrite the hosting fees, COTA is headed the same way as Yeongam and India.
Regardless of mexico, COTA was headed downhill with F1. I live pretty close to the track and i had no desire to go to the F1 race this year for the first time. MotoGP and WEC were both more entertaining live.

I also dont support the tax handouts because i dont believe the cost associated with hosting a race is reasonable. $24MM is crazy.

Lastly, i just want to see NASCAR and/or indy racing at cota...so anything to expedite that process is good in my book even if it means losing F1 until its gotten its act together.

The fact that 40,000 people stayed after this race to see elton john shows that he sold almost as many tickets as the race itself. No one cared to watch the other acts.

Nathanael F1

Probably the most important point is that they think the Mexican race has and will continue to affect attendances. Unless Bernie is going to step in and underwrite the hosting fees, COTA is headed the same way as Yeongam and India.
You have to also consider that the weather was not ideal for spectators, so I'm not sure if you can reach a conclusion about future races at CotA. And not just F1 was affected - I heard that an NFL game during the same time had 1/2 the attendance of the F1 race due to the rain.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

sgth0mas

Nathanael F1 wrote:

You have to also consider that the weather was not ideal for spectators, so I'm not sure if you can reach a conclusion about future races at CotA. And not just F1 was affected - I heard that an NFL game during the same time had 1/2 the attendance of the F1 race due to the rain.
I dont think theres an nfl stadium within at least 6 hours of COTA playing a game that weekend. And most nfl stadiums are indoors...not sure where you would have heard the NFL attendence data but its most likely wrong or has no true correlation with cota and local weather.

SectorOne

sgth0mas wrote:Regardless of mexico, COTA was headed downhill with F1.
They had 6,000 less in attendance from last year despite this,
I don´t think it´s a long shot to claim they would have improved on last years numbers had it been perfect weather.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

sAx
sAx

SectorOne wrote:
I don´t think it´s a long shot to claim they would have improved on last years numbers had it been perfect weather.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/l ... -52632.jpg
Memories of Silverstone GP April 2000!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

sgth0mas

SectorOne wrote:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/l ... -52632.jpg
They were absolutely going to have good numbers because of Elton John. They were literally advertising the elton john concert out here with very little mention of the race itself. But having to pay big money for big acts just makes it harder for it to be profitable. I go to COTA quite a bit, but that doesnt mean i think its headed in the right direction. I dont believe its ever made money on F1 or X games. I also dont want my tax money going to these outrageous race fees only to make bernie richer for a show that would be long forgotten if replaced by indy or nascar.

So we have outrageous race fees, and now the need to hire huge acts just to keep attendence up with a formula that will aways lose money. Not just any money, my tax money.

SectorOne

sgth0mas wrote:They were absolutely going to have good numbers because of Elton John. They were literally advertising the elton john concert out here with very little mention of the race itself. But having to pay big money for big acts just makes it harder for it to be profitable. I go to COTA quite a bit, but that doesnt mean i think its headed in the right direction. I dont believe its ever made money on F1 or X games. I also dont want my tax money going to these outrageous race fees only to make bernie richer for a show that would be long forgotten if replaced by indy or nascar.

So we have outrageous race fees, and now the need to hire huge acts just to keep attendence up with a formula that will aways lose money. Not just any money, my tax money.
So you think Bernie gets the race fee only? You do realize it is one way on how the teams get paid?
Higher race fee, more cash for teams.

Do you have any data on how many bought an F1 ticket to watch Elton John?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

komninosm

skoop wrote:i have to say i liked nicos reaction. it showed that he is a human being with real emotions. give him some time and he'll get over it, "man up" and talk it out with lewis. people cry all the time about the drivers being politically too correct and when the drivers show some emotions or make silly jokes everyone hates them. no wonder they're too afraid to be themselves in public.
I haven't liked Rosberg since "that" Monaco stunt, but I feel like the only reason Hamilton didn't get a penalty for pushing him off track at the first corner two GP in a row is that they are teammates. Does a team have to complain to race director before a penalty is handed? If 2 teammates collide can the team call Charlie and say we're fine with it, racing incident?
My sense of justice wants Rosberg to have won this GP :(

komninosm

SiLo wrote:I noticed this as well with Vettel and his gap to Hamilton. When the VSC was deployed Hamilton was 12 seconds ahead. When it was disabled he was only 5 seconds ahead.
Was there a 2nd VSC? IF so why did Hamilton go slower than Vettel?

bdr529

sgth0mas wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote: You have to also consider that the weather was not ideal for spectators, so I'm not sure if you can reach a conclusion about future races at CotA. And not just F1 was affected - I heard that an NFL game during the same time had 1/2 the attendance of the F1 race due to the rain.
I dont think theres an nfl stadium within at least 6 hours of COTA playing a game that weekend. And most nfl stadiums are indoors...not sure where you would have heard the NFL attendence data but its most likely wrong or has no true correlation with cota and local weather.
The Dallas Cowboys played in New York that Sunday night, the bad weather in texas only effected the college games,
But I never understood why they have the race in the middle of football county in October, I know it's way to hot for the summer months but how about right after Montreal they could benefit from the extra press leading up to and after the Canadian GP and use the days in between to get the drivers/teams to go around the states and promote the USGP

dans79

komninosm wrote: My sense of justice wants Rosberg to have won this GP :(
He was on track to, until he screwed it up by getting on the throttle too fast!
197 104 103 7

Jonnycraig

And now the CEO of COTA has left his position...

sgth0mas

Jonnycraig wrote:And now the CEO of COTA has left his position...
No he was asked to leave...this was a board of directors decision

Jonnycraig

COTA has now lost a large chunk of it's state funding...

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/st ... ubt/npKxM/

sgth0mas

Was reading this earlier today. Its sad when a $19MM handout isnt enough to make a race happen.

Im not sad...closer to INDY and NASCAR at COTA!