2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

COTA has now lost a large chunk of it's state funding... http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/st ... ubt/npKxM/
Another short-lived success story in F1 races. So the reason is that half the audience was from Mexico and they have now their own GP that by brilliant Ecclestone's design 1. exists at all 2. is too close in time and space. My respect for the state of Texas - they are smart to adjust to that and governments paying for it is the only reason scams like formula 1 exist.

Look at Monza: millionaire drivers encouraging a government to subsidize even bigger profits of international corporation so crowd can have a fake entertainment at their own expense. If that's not an allegory of modern world I don't know what is :-).

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:Another short-lived success story in F1 races. So the reason is ...

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

The cut in funding has nothing to do with the weather this year.

It has everything to do with the F1 weekend costing 3 times more every year than any other event in Texas, despite being a hugely niche activity.

Texas can get 3 NASCAR weekends for a total of $3.3m, yet an F1 weekend costs $30m.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Good post johnny...i didnt realize the magnitude of the difference between f1 and other racing events. Its absurd that the motogp race can be had 28 times over for the price of F1. Motogp and WEC were better overall events than F1 when it comes to value.

I can imagine the state may get a little more revenue if it were in dallas because there is more to do there that costs money.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Cota now 4 months late in payment for the 2015 race. In a standoff with the local government over who will pay:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/ ... ndprix_sfp

Definitely has to be genuine questions over whether there will be a 2016 race.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

this is the stuff that is killing F1 even more than the cost of a F1 team.

it's absolutely rediculous. here we have a great location, a great track, finally a race in the states,
and now its going down the dumpster due to the excessive fees bernie wants. insane!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ME4ME

To be fair, he was promised $25M annually until 2021. If the organizers and the state aren't able to pay him, then it's on them. I do think for the good of F1 and it's US fanbase, Bernie should be flexible if any re-negotiating would be needed.

XRayF1
XRayF1

Renegotiation will not happen.
Simply because others will pop up and demand the same deal to be made.
No way Mr B can show the softer side of him.

Andres125sx

ME4ME wrote:To be fair, he was promised $25M annually until 2021. If the organizers and the state aren't able to pay him, then it's on them. I do think for the good of F1 and it's US fanbase, Bernie should be flexible if any re-negotiating would be needed.
F1 fees are around 10 times more expensive :wtf: than any other racing series fees. If you think F1 is 10 times better than any other racing series then you may agree with Bernie´s fees. I don´t, and I think that is one of the main problems for F1, excessive fees wich force orgainzers to increase ticket prices, audience go down, and sponsors interest go down too because less people is watching. Both for track organizers and TV channels.

But Mr E doesn´t care about this, if he get his fees it´s ok for him, if F1 die in some seasons that´s not his problem, his only problem is his bank account and keep it with at least 10 digits...

Bernie´s face should be put toghether with the definition of greed, I only hope F1 can survive Bernie.

ME4ME

Andres125sx wrote:F1 fees are around 10 times more expensive :wtf: than any other racing series fees. If you think F1 is 10 times better than any other racing series then you may agree with Bernie´s fees. I don´t, and I think that is one of the main problems for F1, excessive fees wich force orgainzers to increase ticket prices, audience go down, and sponsors interest go down too because less people is watching. Both for track organizers and TV channels.
I didn't express any such opinion. I said nothing about if the fee is reasonable or not :wink:

My point is: If the organizers agreed to a deal, then they should stick to their word. If they thought it didn't make sense to pay such amount of money for F1 to visit one weekend each year, then they never should have agreed in the first place.

It doens't make sense to blame Bernie in this case. He is employed by CVC an his sole purpose is to make as much money as possible, for his sake, for CVC's sake and for the F1 teams who all get a share of the earnings. He might milk F1 to the extent where it becomes unpopulair as a sport, but it's his job. The reason for F1's viewer decline is arguably more about what happens on-track and all the gimmicks introduced lately, then the deals Bernie makes with race organizers.

RicME85

It's daft, surely it's better to have a lower more manageable fee that will definitely line the pockets each season rather than high fees that last a season or two then disappear.

SteveRacer

If the fees were lower, the previous tracks on the schedule could still afford them and Texas would have never got the date.

RicME85

So? Was a general point not an Austin only point.

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote: Image

Texas can get 3 NASCAR weekends for a total of $3.3m, yet an F1 weekend costs $30m.
College Football got $10 million, so how much of it did the state get back?

SteveRacer

RicME85 wrote:So? Was a general point not an Austin only point.
The fact is there are over 20 races on the schedule with tracks that are able to pay these fees. There are some that come and go because they have big dreams and cannot live up to the contracts they signed. So if they lower the fees, who takes the cut? CVC?