2015 Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City, Oct 30 - Nov 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2015 Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City, Oct 30 - Nov 1

It would be nice if drivers could call their own strategy at Mercedes. It would make it a bit more exciting rather than knowing the guy in front will put first and will most likely come out ahead because of the undercut. They should each have their own strategist, unfortunately that won't happen because it may be a detriment to the team in certain cases.
Felipe Baby!

TAG

Vasconia wrote:Both cars have a great advantage so it was very logic to change the tyres in order to avoid any problem at the end of the race(and a probably safety car, which it did happen). With the same strategy it was in Hamilton´s hands to attack Nico but he couldnt. He always reacts like a child complaining and demanding additional info when its clear why they were changing the tyres because its not the first time.
I heard lot of drivers complaining about tire strategies. I heard Rosberg yelling back at his engineer, I heard drivers trying to pin their flat tires on others. Interestingly enough, had Hamilton stayed out a few more laps as he wanted to and come back in for softs to finish the race, the Safety car would have given him the victory. He had a win taken away from him in Monaco; Checo went 40 some odd laps one the mediums. It's the responsibility of a champion driver to question.

Things sometimes go a different way, accept it and move on. Why focus so much of your energy into wishing things were different?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jonnycraig

djos wrote: Had it not been a first corner incident, Vettel would have got done for avoidable contact due to not leaving racing room.
djos wrote:Ricciardo was half way down the inside at the apex of the corner when Vettel came across at him, if it wasn't a 1st corner incident Vettel would have been pinged for it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The irony being Ricciardo avoided a DT because it was the first corner.

Jordan44

iotar__ wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The track is nice but the race was not that good, too bad the it didnt rain.

Well deserved victory by Nico who truly showed his strengths and this time he resisted the pressure. Well done!

I dont understand Lewis attitude. Both cars have a great advantage so it was very logic to change the tyres in order to avoid any problem at the end of the race(and a probably safety car, which it did happen). With the same strategy it was in Hamilton´s hands to attack Nico but he couldnt. He always reacts like a child complaining and demanding additional info when its clear why they were changing the tyres because its not the first time.
I believe everyone made mistakes at a certain stage during the race. Rosberg also got off track at a certain point, might have even gained some time or lost some, but on the same lap Hamilton ran wide on to the kerb going into the stadium section, so it basically evened out. I think on a track like this, it's crucial to maintain a gap going onto the main straight, in which Rosberg did.
What mistakes from "everyone"? That was as dominant a win as you can get. At no stage in the race was Hamilton even close, he got a gift from SC that erased a 2,5(?) second gap and wasn't even close again, game over after one lap. Now he has the nerve to claim that he "thought" he had more pace? Pathetic excuses after the race, excuses after qualifying, that's your "driving doing the talking" I guess.

It could have been a classic close season at least between two drivers, the rest remains rubbish. Rosberg has the pace in Q and in the races but no support from the team in the form of decision making and reliability

Bottas vs Raikkonen was not much different to Maldo - Perez Hun, the latter even cleaner one is no reaction the other a drive-through, brilliant consistency. Why the hell did they tell quicker Vettel to slow down and let Hamilton past but when a snail pace Stevens doesn't get out of the way in Canada it's OK? F1 is a remote controlled scam on every level that's why.
Most dominant win as you can get despite the gap only being 4.3 seconds at max? Yeah okay :lol: I personally feel this track is very difficult to follow at in the second sector, which means you can't make much inroad into a driver's lead, so it was won on Saturday. We'll see as time goes on. You contradicted yourself early by saying Spain and Austria were more dominant. What Lewis did in Monza this year was unheard of. First in P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2, Q3, pole, fastest lap, every lap led and race win. And he won by 25 seconds. But of course, you being the troll you are, would ignore this.

Rosberg has been strong in the last four races and has suffered bad luck, but up until this point, he's been second tier all the way. It could also have been a close season if Nico performed better in the 7 races where they both had equal footing. Last year up until Singapore Hamilton had lost as many points as Nico has at this stage through bad luck, even more actually if you consider qualifying. Yet still, at that point Lewis was still firmly in the title hunt and less than 25 points behind. Yet Rosberg ended up being 53 points adrift. Hm, that's a funny one, oh yeah, Lewis had a commanding lead before bad luck even came into it. :o

And come on... that last sentence. Unbelievable. The pace makes no difference at all, Vettel breached the regulations. He ignored blue flags. After Hamilton cleared him, Vettel could have unlapped himself, but guess what? The Mercedes pulled away.

I can see the frustration in you. Your favourite driver has been beaten three years in a row by his team-mate, therefore it must be a scam. :lol:
Last edited by Jordan44 on 02 Nov 2015, 19:03, edited 5 times in total.

WaikeCU

iotar__ wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The track is nice but the race was not that good, too bad the it didnt rain.

Well deserved victory by Nico who truly showed his strengths and this time he resisted the pressure. Well done!

I dont understand Lewis attitude. Both cars have a great advantage so it was very logic to change the tyres in order to avoid any problem at the end of the race(and a probably safety car, which it did happen). With the same strategy it was in Hamilton´s hands to attack Nico but he couldnt. He always reacts like a child complaining and demanding additional info when its clear why they were changing the tyres because its not the first time.
I believe everyone made mistakes at a certain stage during the race. Rosberg also got off track at a certain point, might have even gained some time or lost some, but on the same lap Hamilton ran wide on to the kerb going into the stadium section, so it basically evened out. I think on a track like this, it's crucial to maintain a gap going onto the main straight, in which Rosberg did.
What mistakes from "everyone"? That was as dominant a win as you can get. At no stage in the race was Hamilton even close, he got a gift from SC that erased a 2,5(?) second gap and wasn't even close again, game over after one lap. Now he has the nerve to claim that he "thought" he had more pace? Pathetic excuses after the race, excuses after qualifying, that's your "driving doing the talking" I guess.

It could have been a classic close season at least between two drivers, the rest remains rubbish. Rosberg has the pace in Q and in the races but no support from the team in the form of decision making and reliability

Bottas vs Raikkonen was not much different to Maldo - Perez Hun, the latter even cleaner one is no reaction the other a drive-through, brilliant consistency. Why the hell did they tell quicker Vettel to slow down and let Hamilton past but when a snail pace Stevens doesn't get out of the way in Canada it's OK? F1 is a remote controlled scam on every level that's why.
Chill out bro. Don't over analyze everything. I haven't even said anything about Hamilton being way faster than Rosberg. Both cars were similar paced. Only one car was in front of the other. That was the biggest difference. The gap between both cars were well managed by the leading car. Whenever Hamilton went a few tenths faster, Rosberg answered the lap after, by going even faster himself. So Rosberg just did what he had to do.

A dominating win would be leading the race from the start till the end with a gap of +10 seconds on the second car, which this isn't the case.

F1NAC

I'm surprised that stewarts didnt penalise vettel for cutting the corner at stadium section

ojlopez

A small video of the main straight during qualy

zeph

F1NAC wrote:I'm surprised that stewarts didnt penalise vettel for cutting the corner at stadium section
Maybe they figured he had penalized himself enough?

Jonnycraig

F1NAC wrote:I'm surprised that stewarts didnt penalise vettel for cutting the corner at stadium section
What would've been the point, he ended up 50 seconds off the lead, and didn't finish the race anyway..

turbof1

Jonnycraig wrote:
What would've been the point, he ended up 50 seconds off the lead, and didn't finish the race anyway..
In principle he could have gotten a penalty for it. Other drivers always have kept themselves on the track when very slowly limping back to the pits. Vettel probably counted on mercy and reason from the stewards. He did got it, but I don't feel it's right to count on mercy.

I also don't see how it is relevant he did not finish the race. At that point there was nothing contributing to him crashing into the barriers, so it's not a point of consideration.

But ok, it seems reasonable that he tried to cut away a bit from a devastating disadvantage. However, I hope they adjust the rules and protocols for it. They did so last time in 2012, when he cut all the corners at the Indian GP during the outlap in qualifying.
#AeroFrodo

basti313

turbof1 wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
In principle he could have gotten a penalty for it. Other drivers always have kept themselves on the track when very slowly limping back to the pits. Vettel probably counted on mercy and reason from the stewards. He did got it, but I don't feel it's right to count on mercy.
I do not remember every driver going back to the pits with a blown tire...just Ham 2014 in Spa and Ros 2015 in Hungary. Both have been cutting whenever possible. Dunno why we need mercy and a rule change now because Vet was cutting. :?
Don`t russel the hamster!

turbof1

basti313 wrote: I do not remember every driver going back to the pits with a blown tire...just Ham 2014 in Spa and Ros 2015 in Hungary. Both have been cutting whenever possible. Dunno why we need mercy and a rule change now because Vet was cutting. :?
I do not recall that they did. However, if they did they fall under the same category as Vettel: unwise to count on mercy for essentially breaking the rules by cutting corners. I do remember a lot of situations were drivers did follow the track all the way through, although it's possible that run offs like grass, gravel and speed bumps could have prevented them doing so.

I also don't believe it's an issue now because Vettel was cutting. The sole reason why is that we only got to know because Vettel was called towards the stewards. Else we wouldn't have learned about it. I think the same was with Hamilton and Rosberg since I don't recall video footage of them cutting the corners. Nobody bothered with it afterwards, so it didn't got brought to attention.
#AeroFrodo

sgth0mas

turbof1 wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:

I also don't see how it is relevant he did not finish the race. At that point there was nothing contributing to him crashing into the barriers, so it's not a point of consideration.

But ok, it seems reasonable that he tried to cut away a bit from a devastating disadvantage. However, I hope they adjust the rules and protocols for it. They did so last time in 2012, when he cut all the corners at the Indian GP during the outlap in qualifying.
Not all drivers have kept themselves on track. I forget the race it happened in this year but one of the Mercs were all over the place after a puncture. Its a wild assumption that all drivers slowly limp back within track boundaries except vettel.

dans79

The point is, you are to keep your self on track.

It's up to the stewards to decide if extenuating circumstances make it ok for you to leave the track.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

Not all drivers have kept themselves on track. I forget the race it happened in this year but one of the Mercs were all over the place after a puncture. Its a wild assumption that all drivers slowly limp back within track boundaries except vettel.
If you read my previous comments, I have never claimed all drivers did so:
turbof1 wrote:In principle he could have gotten a penalty for it. Other drivers always have kept themselves on the track when very slowly limping back to the pits. Vettel probably counted on mercy and reason from the stewards. He did got it, but I don't feel it's right to count on mercy.
Big difference :wink: .

I do not recall myself (it could be I missed it) that a Merc did so, but given you confirmed what basti said, I don't see any reason not to accept that. It does not change my mind about it: corner cutting is not there to gain advantages or to reduce disadvantages. If you have to cut the corner, it means you had to take evasive actions to guarantee safety. I'm not out on targetting Vettel about this; I'm targetting the practice which he, the Merc drivers and probably others did.
#AeroFrodo