2015 Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City, Oct 30 - Nov 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2015 Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City, Oct 30 - Nov 1

zeph wrote:These cars can do all of that. But the tires won't let them.

That, and they need to be mindful of fuel flow and consumption.
True, you can't curb ride like Berger used to, when you are constantly lifting and coasting to mind the fuel consumption. Curb riding means you are pushing as well, but nowadays you can't push or you'll just wear the tires down too soon.

i70q7m7ghw

WaikeCU wrote:

True, you can't curb ride like Berger used to, when you are constantly lifting and coasting to mind the fuel consumption. Curb riding means you are pushing as well, but nowadays you can't push or you'll just wear the tires down too soon.
I think the best example of the weakness of the tyres is Bottas in qualifying in Austria last year. He was on a mega lap, but lost time in the final sector. When asked afterwards he said the tyres wouldn't last the whole lap, so because he was pushing 100% in the first half of the lap, he lost performance from the tyres in the second half. What kind of Formula is that? Tyres that can't even be pushed to the limit for a single hot lap...

I feel Mexico suffered a bit, because everyone was going for a 1 stop, which meant managing the tyres in both stints. The SC helped nullify that a bit.

Moose

Diesel wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:

I think the best example of the weakness of the tyres is Bottas in qualifying in Austria last year. He was on a mega lap, but lost time in the final sector. When asked afterwards he said the tyres wouldn't last the whole lap, so because he was pushing 100% in the first half of the lap, he lost performance from the tyres in the second half. What kind of Formula is that? Tyres that can't even be pushed to the limit for a single hot lap...

I feel Mexico suffered a bit, because everyone was going for a 1 stop, which meant managing the tyres in both stints. The SC helped nullify that a bit.
That's historically, exactly the kind of thing F1 has had. In fact, historically, we had qualifying tires, that deffinately could not get peak performance for a whole lap.

Tire performance degrades over time, this has not changed for decades.

ME4ME

Wow. Thank you. That was great!

iotar__

Diesel:
I think the best example of the weakness of the tyres is Bottas in qualifying in Austria last year. He was on a mega lap, but lost time in the final sector. When asked afterwards he said the tyres wouldn't last the whole lap, so because he was pushing 100% in the first half of the lap, he lost performance from the tyres in the second half. What kind of Formula is that?
Excuses for mistakes in qualifying, being slower and missing the pole by Bottas are hardly a healthy indication of tyre characteristics. "He said it" so that's it? Interestingly enough every other driver not saying anything means nothing here. Some fine details of working range/performance that applied to everyone turned into usual poor drivers limited by evil equipment. Do you really believe it was tyres' fault not his? Same as Raikkonen collision in Mexico. (<- look, on topic!)

As for "historically" argument I suggest checking what Trulli thought about grooved tyres that needed to be punished and "didn't belong in F1". Do you think it was healthy that tyres started working after 5 laps with sub par performance before that? Another problem that didn't exist in the good old past: cars "too easy to drive". Tell that to Vettel. After re-watching I now know where made up ideas of brake by wire problems mentioned here originated - F1 expert Brundle's head.

BTW don't forget WRC and their wet ones that don't work, their tyre saving, their tyres not lasting but for 20 km not 1:09 on one lap in Austria. It seems that modern motorsport tyre horrors are not limited to F1. I thought rallying unlike F1 was a real sport for real men pushing 100% :cry:.

Manoah2u

imagine that, castration through rubber. :wtf: :mrgreen:

sad tho, that we're actually robbed of true F1 potential through artificial tire wear.
like having olympic runners wear sneakers that whose rubber soles wear really fast just so other less olympic runners have a chance at usain bolt.

add to that the possibility for another olympic runner thats less olympic to use a magic asterix potion if he's within fart distance of the guy in front of him that'll gain him a extra boost so he can pass him and take the win - artificially.

it's too crazy for words.

what's next, nitro boost in F1? a throttle pedal limiter which allows a driver only to push the pedal for a certain amount of pressures during a race and if he exceeds it he'll get a limit of 90% throttle if he's in the top 3 and has a gap more than 20 seconds on the car behind him so we get artificially controlled 'excitement' guaranteeing battles?

Like K1-fighting but putting goose-feathered pillow gloves and shoes around the stronger opponent.
A deploy-a-parachute on a motogp driver when a competitor is getting too far behind.
electric power aid on the tour de france bikes if they're within a wheels distance of their frontrunner.
cappuchino on a square in venice made out of powder milk and insta-solve coffee powder.
like beer without alcohol.
like cola without cafeine.
like a fake leather jacket.
like fake gucci shoes.

it's absurd.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

iotar__

Reason for the second Mercedes' stop, Hamilton's high(er) tyre wear:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 41950.html