2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
holeindalip

Re: 2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

I would say on tracks that are very difficult to overtake and are in a similar situation to which the mercs where in, it is a very viable option. Looks like they have very good deg rates also

iotar__

Chuckjr wrote:Ferrari better get their long running on mediums sorted -- if there are any issues. I've a feeling this is not the last of the races when we see Merc doing ultra-long running on mediums the second half of races...
Yes, it wasn't all strategy & RF as the headlines shouted, Vettel didn't put much pressure on Ham and Rosberg was quick behind him. Other direction: A. no practice, it used to affect them or rather drivers - Spa, Mexico(?). B. Australia is a weird track and tyre range might have been wider than usual, C. it's only one race.

About Alonso: just because Gutierrez had some car some car problems it doesn't mean that there's a connection with the accident and clumsy driving by Alonso is allowed. The word is predominantly.

Speaking of Maldo, Verstappen messes up his strategy, blames the team and whines for team orders. Who's the pure racer now (Singapore)? Toro Rosso a joke organisation that they are immediately put pressure on Sainz jeopardizing their race only because the chosen one wants a cookie for free.

Then the award winning overtaker (for Spa '15 of all the races #-o , e.i. Bottas & Raikkonen) drives into Sainz almost taking the whole team out of GP and spins. Not even an investigation.

dot235

iotar__ wrote:Verstappen messes up his strategy, blames the team and whines for team orders. Who's the pure racer now (Singapore)? Toro Rosso a joke organisation that they are immediately put pressure on Sainz jeopardizing their race only because the chosen one wants a cookie for free.

Then the award winning overtaker (for Spa '15 of all the races #-o , e.i. Bottas & Raikkonen) drives into Sainz almost taking the whole team out of GP and spins. Not even an investigation.
Say what you will, but that's a textbook to-be WDC behavior you are describing here. Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher, Senna even... All did similar things back in the day.
You need to be aggressive on track and persuasive on the team radio and not be afraid of making mistakes from time to time.

PS. F1 is the last place where "almost" could even remotely matter.

Vasconia

I have no doubts about Verstappen´s talent but I have never liked people who use the radio to "cry" and put pressure on the team. Are you a so good overtaker? just do it!, when he tried , there was a moment where both TR drivers could have ended with a DNF.

Verstappen must be the new Senna, no matter what he says and does, people seem to accept everything unconditionally. Sainz should try to do his best, show how good he is and try to find another team. I think that the RB seat is done for Vestappen, no matter what it happens.

dans79

dot235 wrote: You need to be aggressive on track and persuasive on the team radio and not be afraid of making mistakes from time to time.
lol, Max was anything but persuasive! The only thing max accomplished with his pronoid radio antics, is remind everyone he is a spoiled child!
197 104 103 7

Phil

I too wasn't impressed by Verstappen. Petulant child is the word that comes to mind. However, he clearly is very quick. What I don't like is how he came on the radio to basically tell the team to order Sainz to wave him past. Then again, to put that into context, one would have to know what the intra-team rules are. I would have much preferred a driver who came on radio to ask "hey guys, I can go faster. Do I need to pass my team-mate or is there chance you will order him to let me by to achieve the best result for the team?". Calm, measured, calculated and in control. A simple answer would have then made everything clear: 'you have to overtake him' means there are no favors, no cookies, it's up to you to make the move or not.

I also understand Sainz. He is absolutely not in the position to be the good team-mate. He's a racing driver and until the team orders him to let his team-mate past, his goal is to achieve the best possible position for himself; meaning defending from your team-mate and driving your own race. The team to the best of my understanding never ordered him to do that.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

digitalrurouni

So I had hopes for the lap times being more dramatic in the race because the qualifying lap time by Hamilton was just epic. But is it just me or were the lap times in the race pretty much the same as from the race of last year? In MotoGP with brand new tire manufacturer the race was 7 seconds quicker. Just saying. I know 2 different sports but for F1 to be at the pinnacle of motorsports surely going 7 seconds slower on average than qualifying won't count as a good thing. Man I hate the Pirelli tires. In fact I hate it so much I am considering tearing my brand new PZeros off my brand new Porsche Spyder and putting Michelin Supersports on them. UGH!

Phil

Maybe we would have seen better times if Hamilton hadn't been stuck behind traffic for most of the race and then on a strategy that meant he had to make his mediums work for ~39 laps. Same for Rosberg, he too was limited by most of Ferrari's pace and by the time he was in clear air, he too was on a strategy that meant he needed to conserve his tires. Though I still think that the pace on mediums was very very impressive directly compared to the Ferrari of Vettel.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

bdr529

digitalrurouni wrote: Man I hate the Pirelli tires. In fact I hate it so much I am considering tearing my brand new PZeros off my brand new Porsche Spyder and putting Michelin Supersports on them. UGH!
That seems a little odd, the car comes equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires already,
and you replaced them with Pirelli PZeros??,
I guess you can do anything you want't when it comes to imaginary money and cars :D

digitalrurouni

bdr529 wrote: That seems a little odd, the car comes equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires already,
I guess you can do anything you want't when it comes to imaginary money and cars :D

Not in the states!

Juzh

digitalrurouni wrote:So I had hopes for the lap times being more dramatic in the race because the qualifying lap time by Hamilton was just epic. But is it just me or were the lap times in the race pretty much the same as from the race of last year? In MotoGP with brand new tire manufacturer the race was 7 seconds quicker. Just saying. I know 2 different sports but for F1 to be at the pinnacle of motorsports surely going 7 seconds slower on average than qualifying won't count as a good thing. Man I hate the Pirelli tires. In fact I hate it so much I am considering tearing my brand new PZeros off my brand new Porsche Spyder and putting Michelin Supersports on them. UGH!
100 kg fuel.

bdr529

digitalrurouni wrote:
bdr529 wrote: That seems a little odd, the car comes equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires already,
Not in the states!
Thanks for the PM and to clarify for the other readers digitalrurouni is speaking of the Boxster and not the 918

As mentioned quite a few times over the last couple of years, the Pirelli tires made for Formula 1 should not be confused with their street tires, Pirelli were ask to make a tire that conformed to a set of performance standards by formula 1, and were not allowed to make the best tire they could, unlike Michelin or Bridgestone were able to back in their day. If Pirelli tires were that bad you would't think that a company like Porsche would chose them as their OEM tire for one of the production cars

Just_a_fan

digitalrurouni wrote: In fact I hate it so much I am considering tearing my brand new PZeros off my brand new Porsche Spyder and putting Michelin Supersports on them. UGH!
Makes one wonder how you can afford the Porsche if you're so stupid as to think that Pirelli F1 and Pirelli road tyres have anything in common... #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

digitalrurouni

@Just_a_fan - I guess hyperbole (if I am not using the term incorrectly) does not play well in this forum. Of course i know F1 product != road going car product. Point is I am so frustrated with F1 being ruined because of these egg shell tires. It's really turning me off of Pirelli as a manufacturer. I know that they were asked by the powers at be to make such tires. I know all that. It was just a way to demonstrate my frustration is all. But your comment does give me a whole lot of insight into your personality for sure.

@bdr529 - Yep Boxster Spyder.

George-Jung

digitalrurouni wrote:@Just_a_fan - I guess hyperbole (if I am not using the term incorrectly) does not play well in this forum. Of course i know F1 product != road going car product. Point is I am so frustrated with F1 being ruined because of these egg shell tires. It's really turning me off of Pirelli as a manufacturer. I know that they were asked by the powers at be to make such tires. I know all that. It was just a way to demonstrate my frustration is all. But your comment does give me a whole lot of insight into your personality for sure.

@bdr529 - Yep Boxster Spyder.
I feel you man! I do not buy Red Bull... :D