2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: 2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

Juzh wrote: 100 kg fuel.
That is a fair point. I did not consider that at all. But towards the tail end of the race one would think the cars would get faster and faster and they do...but not fast enough. Didn't the older era cars routinely match or get awfully close to their qualifying lap times during the race even with their low fuel payloads?

Phil

George-Jung wrote: I feel you man! I do not buy Red Bull... :D
Pfff. Meanwhile, I now have lots of tattoos, started to like bling, cool sun glasses.................. :D :oops: :D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

George-Jung
George-Jung

Phil wrote:
George-Jung wrote: I feel you man! I do not buy Red Bull... :D
Pfff. Meanwhile, I now have lots of tattoos, started to like bling, cool sun glasses.................. :D :oops: :D
I totally respect that.. you're still rising :wink:

djos

digitalrurouni wrote:. Man I hate the Pirelli tires. In fact I hate it so much I am considering tearing my brand new PZeros off my brand new Porsche Spyder and putting Michelin Supersports on them. UGH!
I generally agree with your sentiment and wouldn't normally even consider Pirelli's, however I had to replace the continental tires on my 3 (big mistake, tires were terrible) and I got offered a deal I couldn't refuse on some Pirelli P1 tires.

I was pretty hesitant but the deal was too good to pass up as I could return them too if I was unhappy, anyway to my great surprise they are the best tires I've ever had on a car, even in the wet the grip is just really confidence inspiring.

Added bonus, non F1 fans look incredulous when I tell them I have Pirelli's on my 3! :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Back on topic: max is an amazing talent but his whining on Sunday was just at full spoilt brat levels and a real turn off, he needs to STFU and just drive the dam car!
"In downforce we trust"

dot235
dot235

Phil wrote:Maybe we would have seen better times if Hamilton hadn't been stuck behind traffic for most of the race and then on a strategy that meant he had to make his mediums work for ~39 laps. Same for Rosberg, he too was limited by most of Ferrari's pace and by the time he was in clear air, he too was on a strategy that meant he needed to conserve his tires. Though I still think that the pace on mediums was very very impressive directly compared to the Ferrari of Vettel.

Vettel pulled away easily by 7 sec. before the red flag. But stopping the race meant it all went to waste.
And as for the 2nd stint on SS, Vettel needed to extend that as much as possible to make the third stint on S possible and not be forced to use M so there was a great deal of tyre management, he was basically nursing the tyres. On his final couple of laps of that stint he was actually quite a bit slower than Rosberg due to worn out tyres. Now on 3rd stint on S he was absolutely flying catching Rosberg by more than 1sec a lap.

Besides, Vettel stopped 1 time more than Rosberg and lost 7 sec. of advantage due to red flag, yet he finished only 9.6sec. later than Rosberg and probably lost those 2.6sec due to crappy last pitstop (not to mention his venture offtrack). Magic!

Phil

Bear in mind that Rosberg never showed his true pace when running on equal tires. He was stuck behind Kimi, so of course Vettel was able to build a bit of a gap. That gap was nothing extraordinary though - 7 secs is effectively 3.5 seconds between cars. Rosberg clearly dropped back a bit after he realized he wasnt going to easily pass him on track, yet the gap was sufficient enough to comfortably undercut him in the pits.. When you re-watch the race, note how close Rosberg actually got to Vettel when Vettel came out after covering Rosberg. Yes, they covered Vettel, not Kimi, but evidently by the gap to Vettel, Kimi never stood a chance once Rosberg pitted, that much was evident.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dot235
dot235

Phil wrote:Bear in mind that Rosberg never showed his true pace when running on equal tires. He was stuck behind Kimi, so of course Vettel was able to build a bit of a gap. That gap was nothing extraordinary though - 7 secs is effectively 3.5 seconds between cars. Rosberg clearly dropped back a bit after he realized he wasnt going to easily pass him on track, yet the gap was sufficient enough to comfortably undercut him in the pits.. When you re-watch the race, note how close Rosberg actually got to Vettel when Vettel came out after covering Rosberg. Yes, they covered Vettel, not Kimi, but evidently by the gap to Vettel, Kimi never stood a chance once Rosberg pitted, that much was evident.

I got a bit confused with the stints and actually wrote that wrong.

I was meaning to say that Vettel build that 7sec gap at the start of the 2nd stint when he came out of the pits only just in front of Rosberg. Rosberg was as close as he can be directly behind Vettel yet only several laps later he was already trailing by 7sec. Therefore he managed to keep up in the later phases mostly because it was crucial for Vettel to make the SS tires last. There is no question Ferrari on SS is much much faster than Mercedes on M. It's silly to suggest otherwise.

TheScrutineer
TheScrutineer

djos wrote:Back on topic: max is an amazing talent but his whining on Sunday was just at full spoilt brat levels and a real turn off, he needs to STFU and just drive the dam car!
Teenage angst. Didn't he apparently slam Franz Tost's door after the race, like his bedroom after a telling off? No one doubts his pace only his character at his age.

komninosm
komninosm

Was there booing fans in the podium ceremony? Were they booing Hamilton? Why?

komninosm
komninosm

Juzh wrote:Hamilton so lucky he's got that mercedes, otherwise he gets eaten by the field in seconds. Average. It doesn't matter how much you screw up yourself, car will ultimately carry you to the podium.
Do you really have to hate on Hamilton in every other post you make?
Calling a 3 times F1 champion (and various other title) average doesn't make you appear any smarter. :roll:

Phil

komninosm wrote:Was there booing fans in the podium ceremony? Were they booing Hamilton? Why?
I got that feeling too, although i have no idea why. He wasnt even the winner too. Either way, it's extremely uncalled for and i expect more from the Australian fans - well any fans really.

With booing like that, regardless who it is aimed at, you got to wonder if the podium interviews are too good for the fans at the track, if they cant even show a little respect.
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

komninosm wrote:Was there booing fans in the podium ceremony? Were they booing Hamilton? Why?
Perhaps they were booing Vettel; after his time with Webber perhaps Aussies don't like him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:
Perhaps they were booing Vettel; after his time with Webber perhaps Aussies don't like him.
That's much more likely, some of the stuff mark documented in his book didnt show Vettel in the best light - he still hasn't been forgiven for denying Mark his last win in Multi21-gate.
"In downforce we trust"

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

It could also have to do with the selfie Hamilton took when riding a motorcycle. Safety minded fans and all.