2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
justmoi

Re: 2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

dot235 wrote:
Were are probably talking about different parts of the race.

Mercedes attempted to undercut Vettel with the pitstop.
They almost made it as Rosberg was sitting right behind Vettel's gearbox.
Then Vettel started steadily opening the gap. It kept increasing until the red flag.

If not red flag, there is no way on earth Mercedes could have gotten 1-2. Not only because of that gap, but their tires would be completely gone with some 3 laps to go making it very easy to overtake them even on this track.

no red flag = ~7sec in Vettel's favor + bigger Merc tyre deg (or converted strategy) = Vettel retakes the lead comfortably before the checkered flag.
No. We're talking about the same part of the race.

I'll stay out of the speculation what couldhave happened one way or other. Who's to know really. But Seb did not steadily build a 7 second gap to Rosberg on pace. At that part of the race Rosberg was held up by Lewis on very old supersofts for several corners while Seb sprinted off. He lost nearly two seconds behind Lewis. And clearly backed off when the safety car came out, leading to your 7 seconds gap

And I think you have got the strategy Mercedes were doing with Rosberg (softs) wrong at that part of the race.

But calm down. More races to come

giantfan10

wrong topic oops
Last edited by giantfan10 on 25 Mar 2016, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

SectorOne

Ricciardo´s brake duct decided to leave the car:

21:49

https://vimeo.com/160170429

I guess you could call it a break duct ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:Ricciardo´s brake duct decided to leave the car:

21:49

https://vimeo.com/160170429

I guess you could call it a break duct ;)
How did those brakes hold out till the end lol?

dren

giantfan10 wrote:
dren wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: Everything after "IF" is pretty much your best guess at what would have happened based on what team you root for. Lol
No, it is quite frankly based on the performance of the cars. If it was based on what team/driver I prefer, Button would have lapped the field 5 times over.
And how exactly did u figure out the race pace of the front running cars? when do you compare them? first stint on same compound when vettel was in clean air? second stint on different compounds? third stint(Vettel) on different compounds? is this purely based on qualifying? If there wasn't a red flag...... if.. if ... if...
You can find graphs of race pace and tire choice; James Allen has a nice one on his website. If you noticed, I also said they had the tire advantage based on the tires Ferrari and Mercedes used in qualifying. In a 'clean' race, Ferrari never had a chance.
Honda!

giantfan10

dren wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
dren wrote:
No, it is quite frankly based on the performance of the cars. If it was based on what team/driver I prefer, Button would have lapped the field 5 times over.
And how exactly did u figure out the race pace of the front running cars? when do you compare them? first stint on same compound when vettel was in clean air? second stint on different compounds? third stint(Vettel) on different compounds? is this purely based on qualifying? If there wasn't a red flag...... if.. if ... if...
You can find graphs of race pace and tire choice; James Allen has a nice one on his website. If you noticed, I also said they had the tire advantage based on the tires Ferrari and Mercedes used in qualifying. In a 'clean' race, Ferrari never had a chance.
james allen has drafts for this dream scenario you are touting? i'm done with this nonsense .. the race is over and mercedes won... the end
only thats not good enough for some the regular masses now need to be convinced that Mercedes was dominant and were sandbagging and coulda woulda shoulda if this or that happened. as far as i'm concerned track position is god in F1 and Vettel had it then there was a red flag and because of a Ferrari blunder during that red flag Mercedes was handed a gift.... thats what happened.. the end #-o

dot235

justmoi wrote: No. We're talking about the same part of the race.

I'll stay out of the speculation what couldhave happened one way or other. Who's to know really. But Seb did not steadily build a 7 second gap to Rosberg on pace. At that part of the race Rosberg was held up by Lewis on very old supersofts for several corners while Seb sprinted off. He lost nearly two seconds behind Lewis. And clearly backed off when the safety car came out, leading to your 7 seconds gap

And I think you have got the strategy Mercedes were doing with Rosberg (softs) wrong at that part of the race.

Wait. It's not Seb's problem that he managed to overtake Lewis much more easily than Rosberg ever could. Is it? =D>

Seb was faster and was able to overtake and drive away while Nico was stuck and trailing due to being on slower tires. End of story.

justmoi

dot235 wrote:
justmoi wrote: No. We're talking about the same part of the race.

Wait. It's not Seb's problem that he managed to overtake Lewis much more easily than Rosberg ever could. Is it? =D>

Seb was faster and was able to overtake and drive away while Nico was stuck and trailing due to being on slower tires. End of story.
Could depend on what part of the track they met. Rosberg passed Lewis easily enough when they got to the straight.

Anyway I don't care about that. Was just showing you the hole in your 7 seconds theory.

You do seem to be carried away with the whole Ferrari Mercedes thing. Like I said many more races to come. I hope you don't get disappointed.

I'll stay out of the very wild speculations.

dot235

justmoi wrote:
I'll stay out of the very wild speculations.
Good for you. So do I. :)
A speculation of Mercedes being as fast on mediums as Ferrari on supersofts (not even just the softs) is indeed quite wild.

PlatinumZealot

Can anyone confirm if Kimi lost his engine?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

evered7

PlatinumZealot wrote:Can anyone confirm if Kimi lost his engine?
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk ... in-682029/

As per this link posted on the SF16-H thread, No he did not lose the engine.

f1316

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet (there are 40 pages here, so apologies if I missed it) but some interesting points on the pace of the cars:

- pole was, to my reckoning, the fastest ever lap of the circuit; 1:23.837 vs. Previous best of 1:23.919 by Vettel in 2010 (2004 pole obviously slower because of fuel)

- Again, eras with refuelling aren't good comparison for race pace (so obviously nowhere near lap record) but compare fastest lap of 1:28.997 by Riccardo - certainly not in the fastest car- to Webber's fastest of 1:28.358 in 2010.

All of this shows that these cars are indeed fast.

Obviously this isn't a track full of fast corners, so we'll see a bigger gap to all time records elsewhere, but nonetheless these are the cars due to get 4 seconds faster next year, at which time we'll see fastest ever laps at many tracks (if not lap records still due to no refuelling).

F1NAC

Pole wasnt the fastest ever lap. You missed that impressive pole from Vettel in 2011 1:23.529

f1316

F1NAC wrote:Pole wasnt the fastest ever lap. You missed that impressive pole from Vettel in 2011 1:23.529
Ah, good point. Didn't even occur to me that 2011 could be faster than 2010 without DDD. At most circuits it's the opposite (despite EBD).

Anyway, still shows one lap pace pretty rapid.

Edit: if we therefore think that 2011 cars were ultimately even faster than 2010 on this circuit - and race pace even more of a fair comparison because first year with Pirellis - you can see fastest race laps almost identical (1:28.947 by Massa 2011; 1:28.997 by Riccardo this year). Both set by someone in the 3rd fastest car.

dans79

2011 had the benefit of unlimited DRS usage. I think this years pole would have been faster if unlimited drs was allowed as well.
197 104 103 7