2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ripper

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

Yesterday during the race Marc Gené on italian Sky said that Raikkonen was losing more or less 0.5 second to Rosberg on first sector (straight, slow corner, straight) and gaining more or less the same amount on time on sector two. Detuned engine on Raikkonen (or lack of hybrid power deployment) and Rosberg saving tyres in the other sectors?

Is there a website that shows laptime for each lap splitted in three sectors?

Juzh

ripper wrote:Yesterday during the race Marc Gené on italian Sky said that Raikkonen was losing more or less 0.5 second to Rosberg on first sector (straight, slow corner, straight) and gaining more or less the same amount on time on sector two. Detuned engine on Raikkonen (or lack of hybrid power deployment) and Rosberg saving tyres in the other sectors?

F1 live timing has it.

F1ern

ripper wrote:Yesterday during the race Marc Gené on italian Sky said that Raikkonen was losing more or less 0.5 second to Rosberg on first sector (straight, slow corner, straight) and gaining more or less the same amount on time on sector two. Detuned engine on Raikkonen (or lack of hybrid power deployment) and Rosberg saving tyres in the other sectors?

I was watching the sector times and it is true. Most of the laps Ferrari lost a lot of time around 0,5 sec in sector 1 and gaining in sector 2 then loseing again 1-2 tenths in sector 3.

Then in a few laps Kimi could match Merc times in sector 1.

Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
ripper wrote: F1 live timing has it.
If you pay £20 a year. It used to be free but FOM are cutting out the freeloaders...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:Evil? it was a first lap incident, the stewards were too hard.
Just like the Grosjean of 2012? I had posted pictures a few pages earlier. Look at that. He came from too far behind and his turning angle was never there to clear the apex. There is something called presence of mind. To understand the race situation, the cars in front and back and then to go for calculated moves. If anything, it was blind ambition to get past a Mercedes, instead of intelligently working through the race. This was a track where overtaking is so easy and even if Bottas would have overtaken Lewis, it was a matter of a lap or two for then to lose that position. Somewhere Bottas is losing his racing skills. Look at last year too.
Vasconia wrote:Another mistake by Lewis, I think he is quite dependant from teams instructions.

Rosberg is doing a great job, he surely knows how to manage a race.
Like Monza & Japan 2014, USA 2015? If anything, Rosberg is yet to prove he can overtake Lewis from behind in a race and win.
Vasconia wrote:The lack of radio messages is helping him, he is better than Lewis doing stars and managing the strategy/fuel/tyres and other things use.
Starts like Spa and Abu Dhabi 2014, Spanish GP & US GP 2015? And yeah, Lewis always messed up those 22 races that he won in the last 2 years. :lol:
It is in fact good that Lewis had those poor results, otherwise, with the kind of form he is in qualifying, if he gets great starts, the championship would be over half way through the season.

WaikeCU

Still haven't quite seen what Hamilton is capable of in a race this season. Only bad thing at the moment is his starts, which is a general Mercedes issue, because Rosberg is also hampered by that, but somehow Hamilton hasn't figured out how to deal the most with it. That's two races already where Hamilton has to deal with damage on his car that has influence on the performance of his W07. In Melbourne, he lost elements of his front wing after having slight contact with Rosberg and in Sakhir, he got quite some damage on his bargeboard and floor after contact with Bottas.

Wolff has already said that it's not really a software issue, but more a hardware issue. So they are asking Daimler to develop a new clutch to solve the problem. It's not a driver issue if you can look at it that way. I still believe the Ferrari's, Williams and even Toro Rossos are quicker off the line than Mercedes at the moment.

Regarding Lewis being very calm to this: I don't know either way he's calm and mature because he knows that the gap towards Rosberg is absolutely nothing since the season is still very long OR he has just lost genuine interest in the sport because of the direction F1 is going into right now and how it is managed at the moment.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Evil? it was a first lap incident, the stewards were too hard.
Just like the Grosjean of 2012? I had posted pictures a few pages earlier. Look at that. He came from too far behind and his turning angle was never there to clear the apex. There is something called presence of mind. To understand the race situation, the cars in front and back and then to go for calculated moves. If anything, it was blind ambition to get past a Mercedes, instead of intelligently working through the race. This was a track where overtaking is so easy and even if Bottas would have overtaken Lewis, it was a matter of a lap or two for then to lose that position. Somewhere Bottas is losing his racing skills. Look at last year too.
Vasconia wrote:Another mistake by Lewis, I think he is quite dependant from teams instructions.

Rosberg is doing a great job, he surely knows how to manage a race.
Like Monza & Japan 2014, USA 2015? If anything, Rosberg is yet to prove he can overtake Lewis from behind in a race and win.
Vasconia wrote:The lack of radio messages is helping him, he is better than Lewis doing stars and managing the strategy/fuel/tyres and other things use.
Starts like Spa and Abu Dhabi 2014, Spanish GP & US GP 2015? And yeah, Lewis always messed up those 22 races that he won in the last 2 years. :lol:
It is in fact good that Lewis had those poor results, otherwise, with the kind of form he is in qualifying, if he gets great starts, the championship would be over half way through the season.
The comparison between 2012s incident and this one it out of placed. I admit it was Bottas´s mistake but he was his only chance to overtake Lewis, look at his car´s poor race pace. Anyway I dont understand why Perez didnt receive the same penalty.

I have said "manage a race" , I was not speaking about overtaking. I know that Nico has yet to show he is able to overtake Lewis.

Man, after the radio ban Nico has showed better skills to prepare the starts or manage situations like his problems with brakes.

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote: Regarding Lewis being very calm to this: I don't know either way he's calm and mature because he knows that the gap towards Rosberg is absolutely nothing since the season is still very long OR he has just lost genuine interest in the sport because of the direction F1 is going into right now and how it is managed at the moment.
Come on, if he is not able to show some calm and maturity after having won 3 WC, when is going to show it? anyway lets wait one or two races more and we will see if he can remain calm.

The gap is not so important and if he improves his starts he should be able to win again.

Juzh

Aral wrote...This link has been removed as it is a potential breach of F1 copyright.

lebesset

if you look carefully rosberg didn't have a good start either , no more than average at best
but with hamilton having a bad start , vettel missing , and kimi having a bad start rosberg looked good !
if vettel had been there with a reasonable start and kimi hadn't messed up HIS start then it would have been a ferrari 1-2 into the first bend as in OZ !
clearly the mercedes clutch system has a problem which is why they are working on a replacement
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Godius

Vasconia wrote:
GPR-A wrote:So, the Ferraris are cooking the PU. The issues were evident in Winter Testing and now the issues are badly impacting them in races. 2 Failures in 2 Races. The Haas doesn't have any issues, which means, the Ferrari packaging is sucking.
And what happened to the LIGHTENING Ferrari starts? :D
And once again, the Mercedes of Lewis got a slow start.
Bottas, the evil of the night. :twisted:
What the hell is wrong with Force India and Williams? Are they using a 2015 Merc PU?
That Haas is flying in the hands of Grosjean.
Evil? it was a first lap incident, the stewards were too hard.

Well, Kimi made a mistake so we cannot compare his start with the previous race. Vettel was busy cooking something with his PU...

Race was quite fun, Saturdays s*ck but race have been good. Another mistake by Lewis, I think he is quite dependant from teams instructions.

Haas and Grosjean are doing an amazing job, its not only the Ferrari PU, it seems tha Dallara has done a good job too.

Vandoorme did a great race and McLaren is looking better, Bahrein is a fast track and when I saw the Belgian overtaking other cars I smiled.

Verstappen did a a great race, too bad that Perez ruined Sainz´s chances of doing a great race.

Rosberg is doing a great job, he surely knows how to manage a race. The lack of radio messages is helping him, he is better than Lewis doing stars and managing the strategy/fuel/tyres and other things use.
I've rewatched the race and noticed that Sainz was blocking and moving under braking a lot when he was defending at the start of the race (first couple of laps). Last year a couple of people were complaining about that as well (Button in the US comes to my mind).

But these were the first couple of laps so a penalty was not needed in my opinion, I think the penalty given to Bottas was too harsh as well.

henra

Vasconia wrote: Come on, if he is not able to show some calm and maturity after having won 3 WC, when is going to show it? anyway lets wait one or two races more and we will see if he can remain calm.

The gap is not so important and if he improves his starts he should be able to win again.
This.
Not much to add. There is absolutely no reason for him to panic.
I could understand if Seb got a bit unnerved by wasting two major chances, knowing he won't have too many more. Yes there will be the odd win for him but it's clear the Merc is still the faster car so the Ferraris will have to use their opportunities. For Seb there would have been slight chances of up to two wins in these two races yet he has got just one third place on his account by now. He basically lost any realistic chances for WDC by now already.
For Lewis on the other absolutely nothing is lost, yet.

ChrisDanger

Not much point in getting angry/irritated anyway. It's just a waste of energy, is negative, and has you looking back instead of forward.

Vasconia

Well, I hope that Vettel will have more chances to win. I still think that the gap between both teams is not that big. Moreover, Ferrari´s package needs more to be at 100%, some realiabilty issues are preventing the team to improve as much as they would like.

PlatinumZealot

NL_Fer wrote:Lewis would have burnt his tyres with the crippled aero.
He did. His stint on mediums was shorter than the others on softs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏