2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

Impossible, the tires will be so slow by the end of the race that even if they had lapped the field prior, they'd still lose.
Saishū kōnā

SiLo

I really think those starts Ferrari made will continue and that's a good reason why they didn't run again in Q3 in Aus. However, if they hadn't gotten in front, there is no way they had the pace to win the race outright without mistakes from Mercedes (either on track or strategy wise).
Felipe Baby!

giantfan10

SiLo wrote:I really think those starts Ferrari made will continue and that's a good reason why they didn't run again in Q3 in Aus. However, if they hadn't gotten in front, there is no way they had the pace to win the race outright without mistakes from Mercedes (either on track or strategy wise).
they didnt run again in Q3 because they planned on running SS SS S in the race and needed to save a brand new set of SS . i doubt it had anything to do with how they thought they would start.
Mercedes was 1-2 in the race so there is no real need for all the speculation and added guesses to prove to someone that they coulda woulda done this or that if..........
anyway Bahrain... 4 tenths was the gap in qualy last year and vettel split the Mercs.
interesting to see what the gap is this year

Fulcrum

Surely the lack of another run was a function of:

1) Not having a realistic chance of getting on the front row.
2) Not being threatened from behind.
3) Assuming Nico and Lewis would run again.

If one or more of these points were not valid, it would have been a poor strategic move. The fact they got great starts was simply a bonus, you can't bank on that sort of thing happening repeatedly.

basti313

Fulcrum wrote:Surely the lack of another run was a function of:

If one or more of these points were not valid, it would have been a poor strategic move. The fact they got great starts was simply a bonus, you can't bank on that sort of thing happening repeatedly.
Absolutely true. And one can not blame the new Q format for that, Ferrari just had no chance to beat the Mercs (nearly one second on Ham and half a second on Ros, who did a safety lap) and no thread at all from behind. The Ferraris would not have done a second run in the old format as well.
Don`t russel the hamster!

giantfan10

the Mercedes were never going to run again after their second run... they had no new SS sets left

basti313

giantfan10 wrote:

the Mercedes were never going to run again after their second run... they had no new SS sets left
He is talking about their second run...
Don`t russel the hamster!

godlameroso

Aaaaand just like I predicted, rain in Bahrain. Don't worry though, GP will be quite dry, but cool, for the desert.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1

SiLo wrote:I really think those starts Ferrari made will continue and that's a good reason why they didn't run again in Q3 in Aus. However, if they hadn't gotten in front, there is no way they had the pace to win the race outright without mistakes from Mercedes (either on track or strategy wise).
I think if there werent for Kvyat problem on the start and reapited warm up lap, mercedes would not have clutch problem as they did,so i expect a better start for them in Bahrain
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

giantfan10

GoranF1 wrote:
I think if there werent for Kvyat problem on the start and reapited warm up lap, mercedes would not have clutch problem as they did,so i expect a better start for them in Bahrain
Where did this supposed. Clutch problem come from? All the cars did a second lap and had the exact same issues to deal with.. why is it that the 2 time in a row constructor champion with the most dominant formula 1 car ever not able to produce a clutch that cab start efficiently after 2 warm up laps? Not 2 starts under full load. We will find out in Bahrain if they are just slower starters than Ferrari or if it was just driver error

SiLo

I'm not sure if it was a clutch thing. But I did read reports from Horner that said he thinks that Ferrari have some kind of trick to getting great starts and that if they have the second row tied up, they won't really need to make second runs to get pole as they can nick it at the start, just like the Renaults used to.
Felipe Baby!

FW17

They could have collaborated with Yamaha and Ducati MotoGP teams, both having great acceleration in comparison to Honda

holeindalip

Who doesnt have better acceleration than Honda lol sorry had to

dans79

giantfan10 wrote: Where did this supposed. Clutch problem come from? All the cars did a second lap and had the exact same issues to deal with.. why is it that the 2 time in a row constructor champion with the most dominant formula 1 car ever not able to produce a clutch that cab start efficiently after 2 warm up laps? Not 2 starts under full load. We will find out in Bahrain if they are just slower starters than Ferrari or if it was just driver error
Or how about the two time Champions, got caught out by the radio ban, and the drivers had to guess how much to adjust the clutch settings. If i had to guess, Merc's clutch is more sensitive to temperature changes that others. They had bad starts last year almost every time they had to do an additional formation lap.
197 104 103 7

Chene_Mostert

dans79 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: Where did this supposed. Clutch problem come from? All the cars did a second lap and had the exact same issues to deal with.. why is it that the 2 time in a row constructor champion with the most dominant formula 1 car ever not able to produce a clutch that cab start efficiently after 2 warm up laps? Not 2 starts under full load. We will find out in Bahrain if they are just slower starters than Ferrari or if it was just driver error
Or how about the two time Champions, got caught out by the radio ban, and the drivers had to guess how much to adjust the clutch settings. If i had to guess, Merc's clutch is more sensitive to temperature changes that others. They had bad starts last year almost every time they had to do an additional formation lap.
Why don't they fix it?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake