The NON-Mercedes crash Spanish GP Thread

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: The NON-Mercedes crash Spanish GP Thread

I can't remember Alonso doing that overtake, but i do remember Schumacher in the rain.

WaikeCU

ThumbsUp wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Max's overtake of the Ferrari in the first couple of corners (just before the unmentionable thing happened) was pretty special. On a track where overtaking is so difficult, that move actually gave him the win, in effect. Very mature move for one so young and reminiscent of a couple of the current top drivers in their early days in F1.
Max mentioned he watched some previous starts of several years and did the same as Alonso did a few years ago. Don't know which year it happened though. But it was a great move. It was his move to victory.
NL_Fer wrote:I can't remember Alonso doing that overtake, but i do remember Schumacher in the rain.
This...

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

It was Alonso in 2013. Not the best quality though. This is exactly the one Max did.

His engineer said something like. It would be nice if you could pull this off. And he did it!

giantfan10
giantfan10

The Ferrari lost traction in the beginning of turn 3 allowing verstappen and sainz to get by.....thats all that happened .seems as if max sneezes then he has the best sneeze ever....
you can see the Ferrari losing traction in the video posted. there was nothing special or fantastic about it.
seems fashionable now to overhype everything about Verstappen.
as far as the race he did nothing special. red bull handed him the win when they tried a 3 stopper with Ricciardo that didnt work. its common knowledge that passing is next to impossible when you have 2 cars that are competitive in barcelona Maldonado one of the worst drivers in F1 won the Spanish GP with arguably the most complete driver in F1 unable to pass.
Max does get kudos from me for keeping his head down and not making any mistakes in his win with a faster car on his tail.
did he deserve the win?? yes... was it some oustanding drive worthy of all this overblown hype? nope

Vasconia

What is so remarkable is to make such a perfect race in your firs weekend with a "new" team and being only 18 years old!:

1. Overtaking the Ferraris.
2. Not making mistakes.
3. Acting like a mature driver during the race.
4. Resisting Raikkonen´s during 20 laps.

I have no been the biggest Max fan but I cant deny those facts. I still think that Vettel should have won this race but Ferrari´s strategy was sh*t.

basti313
basti313

giantfan10 wrote: did he deserve the win?? yes... was it some oustanding drive worthy of all this overblown hype? nope
You are right. But the "big" thing he did was to keep his tires perfectly together. He had constant pace until each time he had to change the tires. Always only the last lap before the inlap dropped slightly in pace. So he really used everything of his tires. This is something really remarkable as he did not drive the car before.
Vasconia wrote:I still think that Vettel should have won this race but Ferrari´s strategy was sh*t.
How that? 1-Stop? Ferrari never had the pace advantage to overtake Ves. Vet was far away from overtaking Ves in the second stint with 3laps tire advantage, 3more laps in the last stint would not have been enough.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Vasconia

Who knows, I know it wasnt easy but I can expect Vettel trying harder than Kimi, for sure.

Andres125sx

Couldn´t watch the race til yesterday...

Awesome Max, not a single mistake with Kimi right behind him the whole race despite his lack of experience. But makes me wonder about RBR... Did they really split their strategies to fight Ferrari? Or did they do something similar to Abu Dabhi 10 when they used one of their cars to clear up the way to their favourite? In Montmelo overtaking is too dificult to consider a three stops strategy better than a two stopper, so I´m suspicious about their strategy...

Carlos did an awesome race also, specially the start, overtaking BOTH ferraris (at the outside!!) and one Williams, wich added to both Mercedes retirement made him jump from his 8th position on the grid to 3rd on first lap. Awesome start, but he obvisously couldn´t keep that position for too long, so 6th is probably the best he could do, he even beated one Williams

I still can´t understand what Ferrari did with Seb.
Last edited by turbof1 on 18 May 2016, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed comment on the mercedes incident

basti313
basti313

Vasconia wrote:Who knows, I know it wasnt easy but I can expect Vettel trying harder than Kimi, for sure.
Well he did not make a single attempt in the second stint....so...you go for 3-Stop as you proved you can not overtake on track. Pretty much the same for Ric...he showed that he is slower on the prime than Ves who managed his tires perfectly....so he goes for 3-Stop.
Andres125sx wrote:Did they really split their strategies to fight Ferrari? Or did they do something similar to Abu Dabhi 10 when they used one of their cars to clear up the way to their favourite?
I would not compare it to Abu Dhabi. Ric was simply too slow on the Medium. To fight Ferrari the only chance was to get him out of the way as the Ferraris could not overtake Ves in free air. Both RedBulls on 2-Stop would have ended up in Vet catching Ves because of dirty air of Ric and Ric because he was slow.
Don`t russel the hamster!

iotar__

Magnussen - Palmer, from F1fanatic,

-watch is quickly before FOM takes it down. I was cleaning my bookmarks and they're blocking fan made videos too (Kubica crash Canada). Legal department justifies its existence and Ecclestone preparing for digital age.

- as you can see unlike the [censored] it's a clear penalty and not a racing incident where both contributed and both continued, tyres and grip/speed difference means nothing, looks like anyone who gets close to Palmer gets a penalty, he is Whiting's new Button ;-)

-Vestappen on Vettel was not even close to Alonso '13, only last part similar but A. two cars, speed and thus difficulty B. Vettel slowing down and taking a different line helped, later part (outside) was still difficult

krisfx
krisfx

giantfan10 wrote:The Ferrari lost traction in the beginning of turn 3 allowing verstappen and sainz to get by.....thats all that happened .seems as if max sneezes then he has the best sneeze ever....
you can see the Ferrari losing traction in the video posted. there was nothing special or fantastic about it.
seems fashionable now to overhype everything about Verstappen.
as far as the race he did nothing special. red bull handed him the win when they tried a 3 stopper with Ricciardo that didnt work. its common knowledge that passing is next to impossible when you have 2 cars that are competitive in barcelona Maldonado one of the worst drivers in F1 won the Spanish GP with arguably the most complete driver in F1 unable to pass.
Max does get kudos from me for keeping his head down and not making any mistakes in his win with a faster car on his tail.
did he deserve the win?? yes... was it some oustanding drive worthy of all this overblown hype? nope

It's funny, because if you mention the win by Vettel in the "Toro Rosso" (Designed by Newey and probably quicker than the RB), everyone goes ballistic. As soon as anyone hypes Verstappen, who's rise to F1 is probably the quickest ever, it's "overblown". A purposeful attempt at "going against the grain" for a lot of people here at the moment for no apparent reason other than to "look good" (to whom I'm not sure).

Fans should be celebrating refreshing drivers that are here on talent and not just $35m of oil money...

Vasconia

basti313 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Who knows, I know it wasnt easy but I can expect Vettel trying harder than Kimi, for sure.
Well he did not make a single attempt in the second stint....so...you go for 3-Stop as you proved you can not overtake on track. Pretty much the same for Ric...he showed that he is slower on the prime than Ves who managed his tires perfectly....so he goes for 3-Stop.
Perhaps my brain is playing with me, but I don remember Vettel being so closed for some many laps as Kimi was. Vettel is more agressive and I am quite sure that he could have tried to overtake Max. But its only my theory so it doesnt matter...

hollus

In all justice, overtaking was possible. Both attemps failed by the tiniest of margins. Ricciardo had a good look at Vettel equipped only with a tire advantage, while Raikkonen, with engine advantage, was this close to getting Max twice. If Ricciardo's move on Vettel had worked, he'd probably gone on to catch the leaders and, with his tire advantage, pass Raikkonen thanks to dirty air and then pass Max with DRS.
Raikkonen could not pass Max due to inferior downforce before the last corner and Ricciardo could not pass Vettel due to an inferior engine. With the right combo, passing was on, IMO.
Rivals, not enemies.

Vasconia

hollus wrote:In all justice, overtaking was possible. Both attemps failed by the tiniest of margins. Ricciardo had a good look at Vettel equipped only with a tire advantage, while Raikkonen, with engine advantage, was this close to getting Max twice. If Ricciardo's move on Vettel had worked, he'd probably gone on to catch the leaders and, with his tire advantage, pass Raikkonen thanks to dirty air and then pass Max with DRS.
Raikkonen could not pass Max due to inferior downforce before the last corner and Ricciardo could not pass Vettel due to an inferior engine. With the right combo, passing was on, IMO.
Do you mean having a Mercedes, dont you? :mrgreen:

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

Vasconia: you can't use the M-word in this thread! :wink:

I can't believe people think RBR gifted the race win to Max over Daniel. Pirelli said the 3 stop strategy was the fastest. Why would Ferrari give Kimi the better strategy? Or is Vettel the 2nd driver now? Don't think so.

Max did a great job by not making any mistakes, he looked after his tires better then the others and he was focusd all race through. And by overtaking Vettel at turn 3 he actually won the race.