The NON-Mercedes crash Spanish GP Thread

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mikeerfol

Re: The NON-Mercedes crash Spanish GP Thread

Wynters wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:
Wynters wrote:
Has anyone tracked down what caused Alonso's loss of power?
Apparently the engine went into fuel cutoff mode http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... gp-737899/
Thank you. At least it's likely that they won't need to replace any parts. Slow progress from Honda, but definitely progress. I'm interested to see how they do in Monaco as, with the increased reliability compared to last year and with some decent aero, a double points finish may not be too unlikely.
Yup, hopefully a double Q3 and points finish is on the cards.

NL_Fer

I think circuit de Catalunya needs a reinstall of the old last corner, taken in 5th at 240kph without a chicane in front. That was a killer. Maybe a bigger runout on start of thr main straight and go with it.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Can someone please start the Monaco GP thread. Practice is on thursday remember.
It starts next week Thursday.
Oh... never mind. but still a good idea to start the thread now.
Some time ago it was usual to open the thread just a few days after the previous race. I support your idea.

basti313

NL_Fer wrote:I think circuit de Catalunya needs a reinstall of the old last corner, taken in 5th at 240kph without a chicane in front. That was a killer. Maybe a bigger runout on start of thr main straight and go with it.
But was this not even more of a killer in regard to overtaking? Shouldn't they rather put something like a sharp 90° or (if enough space) a hairpin instead of the last corner to produce more overtaking chances?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sevach

basti313 wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:I think circuit de Catalunya needs a reinstall of the old last corner, taken in 5th at 240kph without a chicane in front. That was a killer. Maybe a bigger runout on start of thr main straight and go with it.
But was this not even more of a killer in regard to overtaking? Shouldn't they rather put something like a sharp 90° or (if enough space) a hairpin instead of the last corner to produce more overtaking chances?
The current design is awful, the chicane is so tight it allows the guy in front to kill the speed and gain in the acceleration, plus cars were still struggling with doing the final corner behind another.
At least the original was a really good final sector to watch onboard lol.

Plus in this DRS age, the bigger effect from entering the DRS zone at almost 300 might be enough.

ChrisDanger

It just seems suspicious, Mercedes taking each other out and then Verstappen winning his first ever "top team" race. So I'm just leaving this here...

BanMeToo

lol. what.

edit: this is my favorite conspiracy theory ever lol. no one add any words or explaination to it, just that picture by itself is the theory lmao

NL_Fer

So what if Redbull kept both drivers on a two stop and Vettel tried the three stop. Vettel would probably run a longer 3rd stint to create a bigger offset for the final stint and catch them with 1s per lap. He would be behind the leaders with 10 laps to go. If the degradation was any higher they were sitting ducks. That is what Redbull though.

But degradation was far less and why was Vettel so slow on his last stint? Yes his tyres were only a few laps fresher, but he wasn't any faster then Kimi and Max.

2nd scenario, what if Verstappen was put on a 3 stop? Vettel had to pull the same undercut like he did on Riciardo and ruin his last stint. And even if he still was faster, he would again ended behind the leaders with worn medium tyres.
Last edited by NL_Fer on 19 May 2016, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDanger

BanMeToo wrote:lol. what.

edit: this is my favorite conspiracy theory ever lol. no one add any words or explaination to it, just that picture by itself is the theory lmao
I'm not saying I honestly think it's the case. It's more that it's just an interesting possibility.

BanMeToo

I thought you posted it just as a nonsense joke :cry: . I dnt actually understand what you're saying

ChrisDanger

BanMeToo wrote:I thought you posted it just as a nonsense joke :cry: . I dnt actually understand what you're saying
The connection is with wrestling, in which results and incidents are regularly pre-planned.

Vasconia

NL_Fer wrote:So what if Redbull kept both drivers on a two stop and Vettel tried the three stop. Vettel would probably run a longer 3rd stint to create a bigger offset for the final stint and catch them with 1s per lap. He would be behind the leaders with 10 laps to go. If the degradation was any higher they were sitting ducks. That is what Redbull though.

But degradation was far less and why was Vettel so slow on his last stint? Yes his tyres were only a few laps fresher, but he wasn't any faster then Kimi and Max.

2nd scenario, what if Verstappen was put on a 3 stop? Vettel had to pull the same undercut like he did on Riciardo and ruin his last stint. And even if he still was faster, he would again ended behind the leaders with worn medium tyres.
It was quite weird to see how slow was Seb in comparison to Ricciardo, even with the difference between the laps done by each tyres. Any explanation from Ferrari?

NL_Fer

He was also faster on his second stint, running his first set of mediums. Thos were only 5 laps fresher and we was closing in on VES.

What if what if what if... he ran behind the Bulls with ultra tire saving, running his mediums for 30 laps till 45, then switching for hot last stint on softs. Vettel could have pulled it of i think.

giantfan10

Vasconia wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:So what if Redbull kept both drivers on a two stop and Vettel tried the three stop. Vettel would probably run a longer 3rd stint to create a bigger offset for the final stint and catch them with 1s per lap. He would be behind the leaders with 10 laps to go. If the degradation was any higher they were sitting ducks. That is what Redbull though.

It was quite weird to see how slow was Seb in comparison to Ricciardo, even with the difference between the laps done by each tyres. Any explanation from Ferrari?
I think Ricciardo was pushing with newer tires and Vettel was in tire saving mode. He also knew that Ricciardo would not be able to pass on that track. In my best guesstimation Vettel knew he wasnt going to challenge kimi and max for the win during the final stint so it made no sense killling his tires trying to catch them when it was uncertain if the tires would hit a cliff or not

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

I think Ricciardo was pushing with newer tires and Vettel was in tire saving mode. He also knew that Ricciardo would not be able to pass on that track. In my best guesstimation Vettel knew he wasnt going to challenge kimi and max for the win during the final stint so it made no sense killling his tires trying to catch them when it was uncertain if the tires would hit a cliff or not
Well I have my doubts because Ricciardo almost overtook Vettel so it was quite risky strategy by the German. Daniel seemed to have the pace to catch the two front runners, but anyway it would be almost imposible to overtake them.