2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gandharva

2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

Official Website:
https://www.bakucitycircuit.com/

Track layout:

THE CIRCUIT FROM A TYRE POINT OF VIEW:
• As this is a street circuit, with new asphalt, low grip and high track evolution is expected.
• Wear and degradation might be quite low, which is why a medium spectrum of tyres is chosen.
• Overtaking is tricky with a narrow track, which means that qualifying and strategy is vital.
• As teams have no knowledge of the track, we would expect a lot of running in free practice.
• Very high top speeds are expected on the long 2.2-kilometre straight along the esplanade.
• Baku will also be the second-longest lap of the year (6.003km) after Spa.

Baku City Circuit - Onboard with Gulhuseyn Abdullayev:

Vasconia

Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

The cornes look awful but I hope we can see at least some overtakes after that super long straight. I like the section where you can see the castle, I expect some incidents there.

Perhaps high temperatures will create a greater degradation than expected. I hope so because 1 stop races s*ck so hard!.

oT v1

corners 12-20 look like they'll be great to watch, wtf at 7/8/9 haha. Should be an 'interesting' weekend to watch but this track has a very weird identity. Shame they cant change their gear ratios for the 2.2km straight :( :( :(

I'll go for Ham/Vet/Rai
The Power of Dreams

Roman

Thanks for starting this. I am excited about this race!

Qualifying and race are at 5 pm local time, which should translate to 3 pm CET, so one hour later than "normal" european races.

Weather forecast right now is Sunshine and 33 °C for Sunday. So rather hot.

The sprint to turn one will be rather short so Q will be crucial. On the other hand the main straight is very long so DRS overtakes should even be possible between Mercs. Therefore I also expect rather low downforce setups despite the tricky part around the castle.

Predictions? Well, I guess its gonna be Merc - Ferrari and RB - Toro Rosso, Williams, McLaren, Force India - Rest

Vasconia

Temperatures around 27-29 degrees for this weekend.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/az/baku/2 ... cast/27103

Phil

We're on CEST currently. :P But yes, race start is at 3pm CEST time. :twisted:

BTW; watching that video - it seems the buildings are that close. Isn't that a potential security risk? Can't have people throwing down stuff? I don't think Monaco or Singapore are that close to the track?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

sAx
sAx

Vasconia wrote:...... I like the section where you can see the castle, I expect some incidents there......!.
Don't get a a particularly good feeling about a castle turret forming the apex of a corner....surely not?
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

ChrisDanger

sAx wrote:Don't get a a particularly good feeling about a castle turret forming the apex of a corner....surely not?
In the Azerbaijan? Really?? thread, it was speculated that at the time of the video the track was incomplete. These have surfaced as being probable solutions. (The lower one looks like an actual photograph.)

justmoi

What great odds can I get on us getting a brand new lap record at this race? :wink:

ME4ME

I was excited about this race when the information came about that they'd drive past the castle. But looking at recent videos of the track, I have low expectations. I forsee lots of tyre issues, drivers complaining it's like driving on ice etc. Hopefully there is at least a good fight for the win.

erlik

To me it looks like accident in castle section may block the track completely. Not sure if there would be a crane close enough.

Jolle

Lots of opportunities to have some major pile ups after the first corner!

Cold tires, heavy fuel, low grip and a few drivers who want to make a point, all on two straights with 90degree corners. I foresee some T-boning in turn 2 and definitely in turn 3.

I call for the installment of the "Coppa Maldonado"

graham.reeds

My predictions. 1 red flag, 1 safety cars, 3 VSC and a lot of grumpy drivers moaning about how bumpy the track is.

As for the race results, Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull with either a Williams or Force India in 4th. Also a Manor will be in 11th.

graham.reeds

graham.reeds wrote:My predictions. 1 red flag, 1 safety car, 3 VSC and a lot of grumpy drivers moaning about how bumpy the track is.

As for the race results, Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull with either a Williams or Force India in 4th. Also a Manor will be in 11th.

mclaren111

Thank Goodness Maldonado is not driving anymore :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: