2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

That Toto, just call him TalkTalk from now on.

What if indeed both cars had the wrong map calibration and indeed both drivers were experiencing derates. Maybe Rosberg tried to solve the problem and switched to another engine mode, but it made the derates worse? Toto says it was counter intuitive. So Rosberg turns his dial and the engineer reports the problem is getting worse, so Rosberg turns the dial back to the old position and turns it even further back to solve the problem.

We will never know the real deal.

Phil

If that were the case, then I suspect Nico would not have had the pace advantage that Lewis didn't.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ds.raikkonen

I know its a late post for this topic now, but is there any data to suggest that Ferrari should ve pit Rai early on? I was streaming the race online and the bandwidth was nt great, so could nt notice any graining on the fronts (may be a few lock-ups). After going through a few posts in this thread, seems they were struggling with the rear tyres?
Seb had the confidence to continue and ignored the teams call to pit, Kimi should ve done the same (in hindsight). He had good race pace and could ve fended off Perez in the end to get a podium, made the tyres last for 43 laps! Though Perez drove brilliantly and deserved a podium anyway (perhaps 2nd had it not been for the FP3 shunt). Hope his form continues throughout the season.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

GrayGreat

I don't think it was anything to do with the tire deg of Ferrari. Ricciardo was struggling with rear tires and RedBull pit him early. Ferrari basically went to cover their drivers against Ricciardo and decided to convert from 1 stop to 2 stop. After stopping Kimi, they realized the deg was low on Softs so ultimately decided to stretch the stint to the end.

basti313

GrayGreat wrote:I don't think it was anything to do with the tire deg of Ferrari. Ricciardo was struggling with rear tires and RedBull pit him early. Ferrari basically went to cover their drivers against Ricciardo and decided to convert from 1 stop to 2 stop. After stopping Kimi, they realized the deg was low on Softs so ultimately decided to stretch the stint to the end.
Not really. It rather looks they had good knowledge about the tires. Kimi's tires only dropped off in the last four laps, very strong in the last lap. So they just went for the earliest possible pitstop on a 1-Stop. If they would have planned for 2-Stop the pace after the pitstop would have been much higher. You can not go for 2-Stop, drive slow and decide later if you really do 2-Stop.
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313

Phil wrote:If that were the case, then I suspect Nico would not have had the pace advantage that Lewis didn't.
This is still the puzzling thing...was Ham really so slow or did he have further engine problems? The derating on his screen is good documented by teamradio. This is not the solution for the slow pace.
Don`t russel the hamster!

komninosm

I'm amazed that over a week later it still is very unclear what the exact problem was for Hamilton (and I guess Rosberg).
I mean other than generalities like wrong map calibration and derates, what exactly happened and why? Did some engineer go on the car software after Friday practice (which had no problems) and changed some settings to wrong types or what?
(Nor do I understand how Hamilton said it got fixed on its own and then he turned the engine down for the last 8 laps, how was it auto-fixed?)

And on the subject of radio bans it's even more ridiculous than team orders. This will lead to using code:
Driver: If I do A will it fix problem?
Team: I cannot comment on that issue (code for no)
or
Team: I cannot comment on that setting (code for yes)
or whatever sillyness.
But more importantly, the whole reason for banning radio stuff was because some people didn't like it when drivers were told everything how to drive by their team, like "now go setting 2b now go 4e now go 3a and don''t ask why"... It was not about correcting a single problem that wasn't even the driver's fault.
Like it should be OK for a team to tell their driver to avoid setting 31-C on the calibration maps because an engineer broke the software yesterday and that setting is not working, please set any other mode. Or whatever. F1 keeps going retarded.

Xwang

Why didn't Hamilton stop to the box to change the wheel with another with the correct settings?

SameSame

If they figured out the issue before the pit stop that would be a genius move

Xwang

If it was the only problem and with the huge advantage that Rosberg has shown, switching to a two stop strategy woth freshier tyres and correct settings would be a good move too, or not?

SameSame

Toto said the issue cost him about 3 tenths a lap so if that was the case and judging by how far off Raikkonen he was it might have been risky cutting back through the field to finish in the same position. Maybe that's a clue that the issue didn't cost him massive time otherwise they could have done that? Or they were hoping he lucked into the setting and they waited to long for that and missed the window for an aggressive two stop (because he lost too much time playing the one stop and not pushing enough)?

Edit: http://m.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/340949 ... e-problem/
It was around his pit stop so maybe it was too late for a two stop by then

3jawchuck

Well, it is none of our business, so I guess they won't tell unless pushed on it.

digitalrurouni

Not sure if this was shared but I read that Hamilton lost his performance as was evident in qualifying because of changes made to the car.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/techn ... rs-792989/

According to that it had to do with managing heat. Wonder what the changes were that made such a big difference to affect him and not Rosberg at all. My theory is since he was messing up under braking, they changed the brake ducts and he was losing temps possibly? Or they turned down the ERS system to not harvest as much to reduce heat? That would maybe stress the braking a bit more and so making him more prone to lockups?

iotar__

digitalrurouni wrote:Not sure if this was shared but I read that Hamilton lost his performance as was evident in qualifying because of changes made to the car.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/techn ... rs-792989/

According to that it had to do with managing heat. Wonder what the changes were that made such a big difference to affect him and not Rosberg at all. My theory is since he was messing up under braking, they changed the brake ducts and he was losing temps possibly? Or they turned down the ERS system to not harvest as much to reduce heat? That would maybe stress the braking a bit more and so making him more prone to lockups?
- Normal set up and performance changes that happen at every GP amplified by new track, conditions (temperature) its development and layout? I'm not sure if dramatic brake ducts changes are possible. Brake balance, suspension, wings adjustments etc. yes.
- He crashed in Q (no set up/pace problems there? ) which may affect you later and was not quick in the race, happens. Starting position, traffic, competition (Perez) - you don't jump him after pitstop it's difficult later (race stages and one-stopper), then engine problems, still 0,2 s per lap :), and how he dealt with them made it look worse. He starts 2nd as he should have and it's Merc 1-2 regardless of any other factors. "Turned down the ERS system" - didn't happen.

I think it's working backwards from results. Changes to the car between FP and Q/R happen at every race, how about one driver coped with it and was simply better and the other didn't? Leading helps like in Canada (compare Rosberg-Bottas to Hamilton-Perez). Saying that he lost performance is all wrong, especially "car performance".