2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

As for predicting the future, Nikki/Ross and Co all tried to get Lewis in the team as they said they would have a great car. Lewis believed it and they were 100% Correct. Got that spot on if you ask me. It was always tipped to be an engine formula, and the germans are better than the french and italians. The Japanese are catching up.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 18 Jul 2016, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:BTW, Alonso as a current two times WDC accepted equal treatment with a rookie. How many WDC do you think would have accepted equal treatment with a rookie in that same scenario?

But people keep talking about Alonso feeling of entitlement.... I guess that´s easier to accept specially for McLaren fans
If you drive for a team as a double world champion and are joined by a rookie and you wont accept equal treatment, then you are a coward. Feel sorry for Fissi and Jarno now. Poor guys never had a chance.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

flickerf1
flickerf1

NathanOlder wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:BTW, Alonso as a current two times WDC accepted equal treatment with a rookie. How many WDC do you think would have accepted equal treatment with a rookie in that same scenario?

But people keep talking about Alonso feeling of entitlement.... I guess that´s easier to accept specially for McLaren fans
If you drive for a team as a double world champion and are joined by a rookie and you wont accept equal treatment, then you are a coward. Feel sorry for Fissi and Jarno now. Poor guys never had a chance.
Never thought about it like that.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Jolle
Jolle

flickerf1 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Never thought about it like that.
Just compare the reactions of Alonso and Hamilton when it doesn't go their way. Alonso gets nasty. He shames partners over the radio for instance (he could have been fired for that) and Hamilton, who gets grumpy and takes it on the chin (post 2011).

The moment McLaren will be competitive again and VanDoorne is challenging him, we're going to see dark-Alonso again.

Andres125sx

komninosm wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Could it be possible that Alonso's feeling of entitlement and his personality were the basis of this problem?
Yes, and also Pluto and Mars alignment, but there´s no evidence pointing in that direction

Specially when you see they never give him any priority and there was no problem (Alonso accepted equal treatment) until Lewis tried to be considered #1 in Hungary trying to stop first for a second time in a row, instead of the alternating order they all agreed at the beginning of the season.

Basically Mclaren atmosphere was tense (as any team with both drivers fighting for the title) but good until Lewis tried to be #1. But people say it was Alonso demands to be #1 what caused the problems..... based on what? Facts prove the contrary
Your Alonso-fan-bias is showing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _hamilton/
This is funny, first because maybe you think someone´s opinion on some forum prove my bias? How is that? He has an opinion, same as any other.

Second reason it´s funny is because if we believe what he says, he clearly states McLaren signed a contract with Alonso wich included #1 status, but they later failed to accomplish.... but the problem was Alonso?

If what you linked is true, McLaren broke a contract and that was the trigger for later problems. McLaren, not Alonso, if that´s true Alonso only asked for what the team promised and signed in his contract. He didn´t get what his contract specified as they both received equal treatment, Alonso accepted that equal treatment despite his contract.... but the bad guy here is Alonso? #-o
komninosm wrote:It's just completely absurd to claim he's not one of the greats.
Agreee, who said the contrary? :roll:

Probably you missed my numerous compliments to Lewis. Actually, Lewis is my second favourite driver. I´ve always enjoied aggresive drivers, and he surely is fast and aggressive. Problem in 2007 was not Lewis, problem was McLaren who was unable to handle two top driver and if we believe on what you linked, broke a contract to provide equal treatment to a rookie and the current two times world champion. But no, McLaren had no bias toward Lewis, they broke a contract because it´s fun, right?

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:

Agree, but you talk like if Alonso didn´t accept equal treatment. What were you doing in 2007? They got equal treatment as shown with the alternative priority to stop first

mrluke
mrluke

Maybe they breached their contract (and Alonso agreed) because it was the reasonable thing to do at that time.

They did not expect to have two WDC contenders when the contracts were drafted.

Business decisions > contracts.

Contracts just set down on paper what everybody thinks is right at the time they are signed. Things can change, decisions can be revisited.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

Silverstone Onboards: https://vimeo.com/174607578

nevill3

I agree that the ban on unlimited testing has hurt Ferrari most with McLaren feeling the effects too, two great teams who's business model was to spend more money than anybody else to ensure success. Red Bull have that advantage now being able to concentrate their money into developing the Aero and chassis, McLaren's old model of running two design teams diluted their focus so much they couldn't compete with RedBull.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

zeph
zeph

For perspective:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/f1-2014-mclare ... 07-1479245

It was Hamilton and his dad who started pressuring the team through the British press. But no doubt Alonso reacted very badly and it has hurt his career. If he had kept his cool, I believe he would still have been WDC in 2007.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hmm, Dennis disses Hamilton just before re-signing Alonso. Hardly surprising, is it? Dennis is a ham fisted politician at the best of times.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

I don't get it, some wanted Hamilton to be #2 driver as per Alonso contract, then if Alonso did beat Lewis, how would that be an accomplishment for Alonso if he was contracted to beat his teammate?
Long story short; Alonso left Mclaren because he didn't like that he lost to Hamilton, and probably knew he would lose to him the following year. Hamilton was basically champion elect before the china accident and the gear box problems (which i think were FIA induced) in Brazil.
Stats wise Hamilton is a great driver, there is no doubt about that. 3 time WDC and only bettered by Shumacher, Senna and Prost stats wise. In 2 years he may be only second to shumacher. There is no way he can't be considered a great.
For Sure!!

RedNEO

ringo wrote:I don't get it, some wanted Hamilton to be #2 driver as per Alonso contract, then if Alonso did beat Lewis, how would that be an accomplishment for Alonso if he was contracted to beat his teammate?
Long story short; Alonso left Mclaren because he didn't like that he lost to Hamilton, and probably knew he would lose to him the following year. Hamilton was basically champion elect before the china accident and the gear box problems (which i think were FIA induced) in Brazil.
Stats wise Hamilton is a great driver, there is no doubt about that. 3 time WDC and only bettered by Shumacher, Senna and Prost stats wise. In 2 years he may be only second to shumacher. There is no way he can't be considered a great.
Ha, thats just pure speculation about what would have happened in 08 Alonso was already beating him at the end of 07 more than not don't kid yourself. Dont forget before Hamilton lucked into such a dominant car he only had one. Senna and Schumacher and Alonso fought with other teams to earn there's. Only person Hamilton had to beat was rosberg in this Mercedes championship battle. The top drivers would also be wdc's if they had that car and Alonso would be a 5 time wdc by now too so I think it's more the manner in which you earn them that matters but putting Hamilton above Alonso just because he lucked in I think is what casual fans tend to do.

ClarkBT11

RedNEO wrote:
ringo wrote:I don't get it, some wanted Hamilton to be #2 driver as per Alonso contract, then if Alonso did beat Lewis, how would that be an accomplishment for Alonso if he was contracted to beat his teammate?
Ha, thats just pure speculation about what would have happened in 08 Alonso was already beating him at the end of 07 more than not don't kid yourself. Dont forget before Hamilton lucked into such a dominant car he only had one. Senna and Schumacher and Alonso fought with other teams to earn there's. Only person Hamilton had to beat was rosberg in this Mercedes championship battle. The top drivers would also be wdc's if they had that car and Alonso would be a 5 time wdc by now too so I think it's more the manner in which you earn them that matters but putting Hamilton above Alonso just because he lucked in I think is what casual fans tend to do.
Everything you've written is pure speculation to suit your favourite driver. If Alonso was Rosbergs teammate at Mercedes Rosberg might be two time world champion, we don't no because it didn't happen. Mercedes picked Hamilton over Alonso because Diamler knew if Alonso doesn't win he'll take the team down with him. If he could see the big picture and kept his cool he would "probably" have more WDC but he hasn't and he can only blame himself.

Andres125sx

ClarkBT11 wrote:If Alonso was Rosbergs teammate at Mercedes Rosberg might be two time world champion, we don't no because it didn't happen.
Sorry but :lol: :lol: