2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

I think I have noticed that Mercedes alternate the extra set of the Hardest compound between drivers, so in the early practice sessions they can use each driver to get data from two different compounds. I think this is what they are doing but I do not have the data to look at regarding previous practice sessions to confirm it. Has anybody else noticed this?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

PlatinumZealot

It has been confirmed by the drivers. They alternate weekends where on driver tests the hardest tyre. In this case it is Nico's turn, so he has an extra medium tyre and HAM has an extra soft. After they test these the tyre counts are even.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

I cant wait to see how many new parts Merc decide to go for on the 44. Very interesting.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

Given Vettel's struggles so far and Spa being like spinach to Kimi's Popeye, wonder if he'll come out on top here and keep going with the general off kilter feeling of the scuderia's season. The fantasy leagues demand answers to these questions.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

sosic2121

TAG wrote:Given Vettel's struggles so far and Spa being like spinach to Kimi's Popeye, wonder if he'll come out on top here and keep going with the general off kilter feeling of the scuderia's season. The fantasy leagues demand answers to these questions.
It seems that while Kimi maybe lacks one lap pace, he's much better with tires and has more performance at the end of the stints.
In Germany RB was faster than Ferrari. Can Ferrari overturn this?

godlameroso

Spa has lots of fast flowing corners, that's where all the time is. You can make up lots of time in sector two, sector one and two are tough, last year even Mercedes was running out of ERS at the top of Kemmel. The problem is in the race, where you aren't allowed to use DRS, that kills you. The uphill running also takes it's toll on fuel. Most teams will be marginal at the end of the race, with at least 4 laps of fuel saving having to be spread out through the race in order to make it.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

TAG wrote:Given Vettel's struggles so far and Spa being like spinach to Kimi's Popeye, wonder if he'll come out on top here and keep going with the general off kilter feeling of the scuderia's season. The fantasy leagues demand answers to these questions.
Kimi's was absolute dogshit last year in spa. Had no pace whatsoever.

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:Most teams will be marginal at the end of the race, with at least 4 laps of fuel saving having to be spread out through the race in order to make it.
Out of interest, just where did you take this exact number from?

godlameroso

A comment I heard last year about the Mercedes, I can't remember where.
Saishū kōnā

Sonador

I think Mclaren Honda wil strugle with fuel consumption in the race, but i am realy looking forward to see how they go in Belgium.

Also curious if Hamilton takes a penalty in Spa or Monza?

TAG

Juzh wrote:Kimi's was absolute dogshit last year in spa. Had no pace whatsoever.
And somehow he managed to finish way ahead of Vettel. :P
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

Vettel had a tyre blow out didn't he?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Sonador wrote:I think Mclaren Honda wil strugle with fuel consumption in the race, but i am realy looking forward to see how they go in Belgium.

Also curious if Hamilton takes a penalty in Spa or Monza?
They thought they were going to struggle in "power" tracks like Sochi and do good in twisty tracks like Monaco. There's a minimum of a fuel upgrade for Spa, that may help a little, at least enough to get 7-10th on merit, and more if things play into their hands. There's still more to come, no one is going to develop the aero on their cars, the shapes are set for the season. There's still plenty of things that you can develop this year that transfer over to next year. For instance the shapes, and techniques for guiding and manipulating airflow is a general principle. In a sense all the data you gather from the different iterations can guide further developments. McLaren has been experimenting being extremely efficient with their airflow for almost two seasons now, this may pay dividends next year, when cars will not only have more downforce but also the drag to go along with it.
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

PlatinumZealot wrote:Vettel had a tyre blow out didn't he?
What proved the risky strategy wich put him in that good position was not that good. Ok, it almost worked, but that almost is a big difference in F1 :wink:

I applaude the effort tough, that´s exactly what Ferrari had been missing for many seasons, they were way too conservative

Juzh

Andres125sx wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Vettel had a tyre blow out didn't he?
What proved the risky strategy wich put him in that good position was not that good. Ok, it almost worked, but that almost is a big difference in F1 :wink:

I applaude the effort tough, that´s exactly what Ferrari had been missing for many seasons, they were way too conservative
Wasn't a "risky" strategy at all when you consider pirelli's recommendations for the tire (as in it should go on for much longer than it did) and the fact vettel's laptimes weren't bad whatsoever.