2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121

Re: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

PlatinumZealot wrote:Vettel had a tyre blow out didn't he?
It was a great performance by Vettel, until pirelli bubble exploded.

TAG

Juzh wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
What proved the risky strategy wich put him in that good position was not that good. Ok, it almost worked, but that almost is a big difference in F1 :wink:

I applaude the effort tough, that´s exactly what Ferrari had been missing for many seasons, they were way too conservative
Wasn't a "risky" strategy at all when you consider pirelli's recommendations for the tire (as in it should go on for much longer than it did) and the fact Vettel's lap times weren't bad whatsoever.
We had the argumen... erm, I mean the discussion last year. Plenty. Vettel's exceeding the track limits in his attempts to get fast curb banger of the day award had something to do with the 'splosion.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Juzh

TAG wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: What proved the risky strategy wich put him in that good position was not that good. Ok, it almost worked, but that almost is a big difference in F1 :wink:

I applaude the effort tough, that´s exactly what Ferrari had been missing for many seasons, they were way too conservative
Wasn't a "risky" strategy at all when you consider pirelli's recommendations for the tire (as in it should go on for much longer than it did) and the fact Vettel's lap times weren't bad whatsoever.
We had the argumen... erm, I mean the discussion last year. Plenty. Vettel's exceeding the track limits in his attempts to get fast curb banger of the day award had something to do with the 'splosion.
Cool story. Tell it again.

ChrisDanger

Juzh wrote:
TAG wrote:
Juzh wrote: Wasn't a "risky" strategy at all when you consider pirelli's recommendations for the tire (as in it should go on for much longer than it did) and the fact Vettel's lap times weren't bad whatsoever.
Cool story. Tell it again.
Pirelli blamed it on the curbs.

Ohnowait... Pirelli make crap tires that explode randomly because they are so damned incompetent and their rubber is so fragile which is not what the FIA asked for.

Andres125sx

Juzh wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
What proved the risky strategy wich put him in that good position was not that good. Ok, it almost worked, but that almost is a big difference in F1 :wink:

Wasn't a "risky" strategy at all when you consider pirelli's recommendations for the tire (as in it should go on for much longer than it did) and the fact vettel's laptimes weren't bad whatsoever.
I´m not going to discuss about this again, but when you see the driver who put more laps on those tires (medium) was Perez with 22, while Vettel tire exploded with 28 laps (almost a 30% more), and also notice he was the only one trying a 2 stopper while the rest went for 3 or 4 stops, sorry but their strategy actually was risky.

When you try something nobody else bother to try, you´re assuming risks. If nobody else tried it there must be a reason, and that was teams didn´t think tires would last for that long, while Ferrari and Vettel thought they could, assumed that risk, and lost

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/08/24/w ... re-mix-up/

ME4ME

Andres125sx wrote:I´m not going to discuss about this again, but when you see the driver who put more laps on those tires (medium) was Perez with 22, while Vettel tire exploded with 28 laps (almost a 30% more), and also notice he was the only one trying a 2 stopper while the rest went for 3 or 4 stops, sorry but their strategy actually was risky.

When you try something nobody else bother to try, you´re assuming risks. If nobody else tried it there must be a reason, and that was teams didn´t think tires would last for that long, while Ferrari and Vettel thought they could, assumed that risk, and lost

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/08/24/w ... re-mix-up/
So much for not discussing it.

Anyway there is a big difference between the tyre not lasting performance-wise and the tyre not lasting at all (exploding). It's simply not acceptable, nor was it a unique occurance. This year it happened to people again, not least Vettel himself.

PlatinumZealot

Vettel kept driving over the curb leading onto the straight. He destroyed the tyres himself. It was actually caught on video - many times he cut over the curbs. It is a style of his to ride curbs quite hard.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:Vettel kept driving over the curb leading onto the straight. He destroyed the tyres himself. It was actually caught on video - many times he cut over the curbs. It is a style of his to ride curbs quite hard.
Very valid reason for a tyre blowout indeed. I guess all is fine then.

Except the tire which exploded was a right rear which is the one not exposed to the majority of the kerbs. Not the ones people usually run over anyway (eau rouge, and the one leading onto the back straight).

Kerb excuse is nonsensical.

cooken

Just in case anyone has forgotten where most of the corner cutting happens - top of Radillon: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/did-formu ... 1725993395

Note that the right rear is indeed exposed to curbs here, even though it is a left hander.

Shrieker

cooken wrote:Just in case anyone has forgotten where most of the corner cutting happens - top of Radillon: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/did-formu ... 1725993395

Note that the right rear is indeed exposed to curbs here, even though it is a left hander.
This year they should put A WALL where the white line at the corner exit is...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Andres125sx

Shrieker wrote:
cooken wrote:Just in case anyone has forgotten where most of the corner cutting happens - top of Radillon: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/did-formu ... 1725993395

With sharp knifes and electrified :roll:

They can control it if they want without any dangerous thing like a wall, but they actually need the will to control it as they did in Hungary

sosic2121

Andres125sx wrote:
Shrieker wrote:

With sharp knifes and electrified :roll:

They can control it if they want without any dangerous thing like a wall, but they actually need the will to control it as they did in Hungary
Or maybe plant some grass.

cooken

Every time they go off deduct a point from the WDC.

strad

Pirelli make crap tires that explode randomly because they are so damned incompetent and their rubber is so fragile
I try hard to not be like so many on here but I can't help it,,,That's just plain dumb.
Pirelli is hardly incompetent. They make excellent tires and have since1872, longer than Michelin who came along after Avon/Cooper.
Incompetent indeed!
I have to ask since it's come up so many times: What do you run? The cheapest you can get? That's what many self proclaimed experts on here have said before.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:I try hard to not be like so many on here but I can't help it,,,That's just plain dumb.
Pirelli is hardly incompetent. They make excellent tires and have since1872, longer than Michelin who came along after Avon/Cooper.
Incompetent indeed!
I have to ask since it's come up so many times: What do you run? The cheapest you can get? That's what many self proclaimed experts on here have said before.
While I love the Pirelli P1's on my Mazda (waaaay better than the Continentals I had previously), I do immensely dislike the F1 Tires Pirelli have produced. As Mark Webber has pointed out, you cant race flat out every lap like you could with the Bridgestone's and Michelin's before it.

I'd have been ok if Pirelli made tires that expired after 20 laps BUT could be raced hard till they fell off a cliff. They could probably do it safely by using a very hard layer just under the racing rubber. so drivers could get back to the pits without being on the "canvas".
"In downforce we trust"