2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

Vasconia wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Actually, Lewis was in front up to turn 1.
He did a good start, but Alonso did a better one. Once again the Spaniard is much better doing this sort of starts.
I don't think both of them really had a proper F1 style start, they more or less drove of. With a P1 car and a top 10 car, still being dead last at the first corner is just being careful. The moment it was clear that there was debris on track, they almost stopt to avoid it. They knew that taking risk at the start/first corner (because it's so wide with different lines) would almost certainly end in tears.

WaikeCU

Vasconia wrote:
He did a good start, but Alonso did a better one. Once again the Spaniard is much better doing this sort of starts.
That's Alonso's intelligence/genius. That's why he's one of the smartest drivers out there. If you go past Fernando into turn 1, he'll make sure you're back behind into turn 2. Also forcing you into taking a different line approaching a turn, so he can take the optimal line, which leads to better drive off corner. Also regarding taking risks, he'll make sure he survives starts, because it can always be hectic and chaotic because of the field bunching up. It's not all about seeing a gap and diving into it. Damaging your car is damaging your chances in a great race result.

Andres125sx

ChrisDanger wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Probably people didn´t notice, but Alonso went from 22th grid position to p4 only at lap 10 :wtf:

Obviously he was lucky with the incidents, but even so that´s a really impressive recovery =D> =D> =D>
Apparently Hamilton only really properly overtook four cars to get to the podium (the rest were crashes/strategy).
Did you notice I was talking about Alonso, not Hamilton? :roll:

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
I don't think both of them really had a proper F1 style start, they more or less drove of. With a P1 car and a top 10 car, still being dead last at the first corner is just being careful. The moment it was clear that there was debris on track, they almost stopt to avoid it. They knew that taking risk at the start/first corner (because it's so wide with different lines) would almost certainly end in tears.
A lesson some dutch didn´t learn yet

skoop

ChrisDanger wrote:It could be wrong, but although only three crashed, many more were slowed, and these were obviously not counted amongst those 4 overtakes.

I was merely reinforcing the benefit the race's two big incidents had on the champs at the back.
according to AMuS ham overtook 5 cars: Hulk 2x, Alonso, Ocon and Kvyat

Juzh

skoop wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:It could be wrong, but although only three crashed, many more were slowed, and these were obviously not counted amongst those 4 overtakes.

I was merely reinforcing the benefit the race's two big incidents had on the champs at the back.
according to AMuS ham overtook 5 cars: Hulk 2x, Alonso, Ocon and Kvyat
From 2nd to last on the grid to finish 3rd. :wtf:

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Just going on the fact that the Ferrari's crashed into each other before the Red Bull was even hit. The difference in lines between Vettel and Kimi was so great, I feel that if Max wasn't there, there was still a good chance Seb's chop would have caught Kimi's front wing.
Probably you´re missing this
Kimi Raikonnen wrote:After the start, at the first corner, Sebastian didn't see that there was another car on the inside: he expected me to turn but I couldn't, so I found myself stuck in the middle with nowhere to go
http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/featu ... -team.html
If you look at the point of contact, Seb was taking the normal racing line, even without Max there the contact was almost certain. The difference in angles between Seb and kimi was huge, kimi wouldn't have simply been able to just turn to the right to avoid it. Just before the contact , kimi went to full lock, and it did nothing as Seb was coming fast. Im a fan of none of the drivers involved, but its clear it was all on Seb, and it was lucky Max was involved as he is taking some of the the spotlight off of the Ferarri pair.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

http://picpaste.com/Screenshot_2016-09- ... RZrnq8.png

http://picpaste.com/Screenshot_2016-09- ... TXIYxa.png

Here are 2 shots to help you
Its almost like Seb was so fixated on Rosberg. Going for a switch back to get a run down the hill and up to the kemmel
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote: Seb was taking the normal racing line
False, and the first picture you linked show in perfectly :roll:

Compare Rosberg and Vettel lines, Seb is on a much wider line to let Kimi take the corner over the kerb

NathanOlder

Look at Sebs line. If Kimi took the inside line (like Rosberg) they still make contact. So like you said, seb was trying to push kimi onto the kerb. Big mistake, cost the tifosi big points. Maybe he will learn soon.
If Seb was alongside Rosberg they would have made contact if Seb was on the line he took. Showing he didnt leave enough room
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle

La Source at the start is always tricky. Because it's wide and many possible fast lines, it's suicide to think you can steer to the apex from a wide line. Kimi did what he could and Verstappen wasn't dive bombing or anything. VES was alongside Kimi before they both went for the corner and gave each other just enough space.
After that frustration took over unfortunately.

sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:Look at Sebs line. If Kimi took the inside line (like Rosberg) they still make contact. So like you said, seb was trying to push kimi onto the kerb. Big mistake, cost the tifosi big points. Maybe he will learn soon.
If Seb was alongside Rosberg they would have made contact if Seb was on the line he took. Showing he didnt leave enough room
If there was no max, kimi would be on the kerb, and there would be plenty of space. Seb almost made it as it is.
I wonder if they passed the corner 3 wide what would happen on the corner exit...

Jolle

sosic2121 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Look at Sebs line. If Kimi took the inside line (like Rosberg) they still make contact. So like you said, seb was trying to push kimi onto the kerb. Big mistake, cost the tifosi big points. Maybe he will learn soon.
If there was no max, kimi would be on the kerb, and there would be plenty of space. Seb almost made it as it is.
I wonder if they passed the corner 3 wide what would happen on the corner exit...
Just google Belgium GP start for 2015, where Vettel dives to the inside of a Williams on the curb of La Source while there is another car alongside.

https://youtu.be/pdzYxZdmlAo

rscsr

sosic2121 wrote:
normally it should be Vettel, Räikkönnen and then Verstappen, due to the higher speed you could be carrying with the bigger corner radius.

NathanOlder

sosic2121 wrote:
He didnt "almost make it" the cars came together with a big difference in line/angle.
Kimi couldn't take the kerb as he had a car inside him, vettel couldnt take his line because (just like kimi) he had a car inside him, but Seb did jack about it and turned in regardless. He screwed up and drove into his team mate. And thats a fact.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.