2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Vettels mistake at Malaysia was stupid, but the storm surrounding him isn't deserved. Neither is his points deficit to Raikkonen. Vettel has almost been let down by his machinery as much as Hamilton, Singapore being the very latest ocation. He also lost potential victories in Australia and Canada.

He seems to want to force results by taking bigger risks at the start, which isn't working out. He should calm down and relax, but other than that all things are good.

PlatinumZealot

Vettel is making to manny rookie mistakes of late. It is just unlike a four time champion to have so many first lap incidents.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pierce89

Vasconia wrote:Just to mention that Nico was last in the first lap and he was able to finish fourth, overtaking several cars , including a great overtake to Kimi which I will never understand why he received a penallty. This is the racing we love.

Just erase Nico and put another name we all imagine, and there would be tons of fans praising "the true champion" recovery in this race.

Almost no one rates Nico at the same level of Lewis or Fernando. But its good to give value to the good things he does.
I agree 100%
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:Just to mention that Nico was last in the first lap and he was able to finish fourth, overtaking several cars , including a great overtake to Kimi
Yes awesome race, but considering he´s driving a Mercedes not as much as going from last to 7th with a McHonda :mrgreen:

Vasconia wrote:including a great overtake to Kimi which I will never understand why he received a penallty. This is the racing we love.
I must disagree with this. He went into the corner way too fast, lost the apex, and hit Kimi.

That´s pretty common in MX, using the rider you want to overtake as a camber/rut so you enter the corner faster than usually and use him as a support, and probably make him crash. But this is F1 not MX. Deserved penalty IMHO

DelaRosa said he earned the position, but as an exception I will disagree with him here. He earned the position because he entered the corner way too fast, without Kimi at the outside he would have never taken the corner, he´d have gone wide

Look at the normal line at that corner, tangent to the inner kerb when passing the bollard

Now look at Rosberg line at same point, maybe 30-40º off the line

Considering the space and time they need to take that corner, Kimi had no time to react, Nico went into the corner way too fast, went wide, and collided with Kimi

basti313

Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Just to mention that Nico was last in the first lap and he was able to finish fourth, overtaking several cars , including a great overtake to Kimi
Yes awesome race, but considering he´s driving a Mercedes not as much as going from last to 7th with a McHonda :mrgreen:
True in case of Ros. I do not know how much damage the car took from the crash. A hard hit on the rear wheel with the opponent's suspension breaking...at least the settings were not correct anymore, I would not be surprised if he needs a new gearbox in Japan. But if we take the car as ok, this was not a good race. A lot came to him like it came to Ham in Spa: 5 cars passed already under the first VSC. Among them two hard ones (Vet and Mas). After the VSC four easy targets and on the first hard target (Rai) he got stuck for 16 laps. Also similar to Ham/Alo in Spa.
I think the error was the stop during the VSC. Without this stop he would have ended up right behind Ves, who closed down on Rai until the stop of Rai. For Ros the same should have been possible, even a pit stop at lap 15 would have been better and according to my numbers, would have been a chance to undercut Rai.

Regarding Alo I think the same. The first lap was incredible, but the rest quite normal. In the end he profited from McLaren screwing up Button's race. But for him the same counts like for Ros: They screwed him with the stop during the VSC. He lost additional 1.5sec due to the double stop and ended up in traffic for 16 laps. In the end he was (as usual) behind the FI and Williams. He was able to beat the slower FI...not more, not less...so we saw the normal pace of the McLaren, which was expected in a race when the starting rows are well sorted by the teams.
Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:including a great overtake to Kimi which I will never understand why he received a penallty. This is the racing we love.
I must disagree with this. He went into the corner way too fast, lost the apex, and hit Kimi.
True. This was simply a lost car with a lot of luck not to destroy it.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Manoah2u

Rosberg's slamming into Raikkonen was shameful and competely bone-headed, and the penalty was even worse.
It's a miracle Kimi didnt get damage from that bump. seems like it's possible he got hit on the crash structure on the side, it was hard enough to
knock out a radiator like iirc vettel once did hitting button's vodafone mclaren in the side, destroying his radiator and immediately ending his race.

The try to overtake around and then try to see how far he could get inside was absolutely great, but to actually move inwards when there simply was zero room,
whilst kimi is shown to leave enough 'gentleman' space, is just beyond words and quite frankly, just as foolish as Vettel's move on himself, with the only difference
Vettel ended his own race and Nico somehow could go on. Was surpised the suspension did not break along the race, or how the front suspension didn't damage
after the kimi incident.

His Merc is blazingly fast enough to cut through the field fast enough to virtually have about no problems to reach P9 without much effort, especially regarding
tactics along the way. After that, it becomes harder but to be honest, DRS takes away a real fight and simply makes it unfair. P4 or P5 would have been what i'd
expect from him if Lewis had survived. He ended up P3 so that's exactly there.

He robbed us from a decent kimi fight, and i think kimi would not have been so easy to overtake. He would have seen his tires go down fast, which is probably why
he catapulted so fast into kimi as he didn't want to increase wear. The punishment once again was a disgrace, he should have gotten a bigger punishment and end
up behind kimi, P4. thus P5 if Lewis had not had a DNF.
Once again, Nico showing when he isn't in front, and he gets competition, he's a mess on the track. 'Crashkid' comes to mind. Also, why is Max burned to the ground
for a spa incident he had no fault in but nico gets praised for the pos he ended? really?

Alonso was one of the real drivers of the day, and Ocon showed some amazing potential at the start too. But Alonso's run was amazingly impressive. Apart from that,
DannyRic and Max had a great battle too, like it should though i feel the team put a cap on it. It was nevertheless a well ending to a suspenseful race.

BTW, what happened exactly to Kvyat?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

iotar__

Manoah2u wrote:Rosberg's slamming into Raikkonen was shameful and competely bone-headed, and the penalty was even worse.
- Exhibit A. During a single German Grand Prix '14 Hamilton had two similar moves against Sutil and Button and blatant foul/penalty (changing line in the braking zone) against Raikkonen. Neither was even investigated.
- Exhibit B. Ricciardo - Raikkonen Monaco '15. 0 s compared to 10 =P~
http://imgur.com/a/LU2SD
Compared to this Rosberg's move was a delicate work of racing art and finesse. This wasn't even an overtaking attempt. Not a second of anything close to 50/50 and zero chance for a clean move.
Exhibit C. Spain crash

- Conclusions: Your comment is nonsensical (has nothing to do with reality of F1) but fine, why don't you give examples of similar moves penalised. I can give you a dozen worse ones in recent season that ended up without a single second of penalty.
- Now draw your own conclusions why Rosberg gets penalties and drivers like Hamilton, Verstappen, Ricciardo don't. Probably luck.

Manoah2u

iotar__ wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Rosberg's slamming into Raikkonen was shameful and competely bone-headed, and the penalty was even worse.
- Exhibit A. During a single German Grand Prix '14 Hamilton had two similar moves against Sutil and Button and blatant foul/penalty (changing line in the braking zone) against Raikkonen. Neither was even investigated.
Compared to this Rosberg's move was a delicate work of racing art and finesse. This wasn't even an overtaking attempt. Not a second of anything close to 50/50 and zero chance for a clean move.
Exhibit C. Spain crash

- Conclusions: Your comment is nonsensical (has nothing to do with reality of F1) but fine, why don't you give examples of similar moves penalised. I can give you a dozen worse ones in recent season that ended up without a single second of penalty.
- Now draw your own conclusions why Rosberg gets penalties and drivers like Hamilton, Verstappen, Ricciardo don't. Probably luck.
the only conclusion i, and i'd say 99% of the entire base here is that the actual nonsensical comments come from you, so have fun there.

Rosberg got penalised for causing a collision.
Same like why Vettel got penalised for causing a collision.
Same like why Rosberg the driver who can't operate a F1 car without somebody holding his hand got penalised for radio aid when it was banned/illegal.

the only luck hamilton has had in his career is un-luck the entire season. but well. im rather giving you another horse to poke in with this comment. have fun.

let's see what happens sunday when Lewis wins and Nico gets a penalty and a DNF.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ME4ME

PlatinumZealot wrote:Vettel is making to manny rookie mistakes of late. It is just unlike a four time champion to have so many first lap incidents.
I think that's an illustion caused by the media hype. Care to list the particular events you refer to?

strad

F1 fans sure have a sliding scale of what they find acceptable.
Seems to depend greatly on WHO does what.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

GrayGreat

iotar__ wrote:
Exhibit C. Spain crash

This =D> . Some people are always going to dislike anything that Rosberg does, apparently for no reason. When he keeps calm and everything, people complain that he doesn't have the 'spark' that true champions have. Remember great Ayrton Senna? If you don't go for a gap that exists.... Well there was enough gap to go for, and in the end, it was a brilliant move. Sometimes it is necessary to take risks. Hamilton was winning the race at that point, and Rosberg did exactly what was needed - damage limitation.

Schuttelberg

turbof1 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
carisi2k wrote: As for VET vs VES. I do believe that VET is under extreme pressure and he is starting to feel it which shows up in mistakes. I think since that mistaken call at Melbourne he has felt a lot of pressure on his shoulders. With Red Bull coming on stronger then they thought, it has resulted in many mistakes by the Ferrari drivers this year.
Vettel is under extreme pressure? Pressure from whom? Ferrari? Or fans like you and me whose posts he reads?

Vettel is a quadruple champion. His pressure to perform comes from within. Take a sensible review of his season and you will find that he's simply trying to "create results" because he knows he has a car deficit. A racing driver's mindset constitutes 80% of his results relative to the car he has. From the beginning of the year, he's been behind the eight ball and unlike 2015, has simply found no rhythm to the season. Whenever he begins to rack up the results, just then something happens.

I also find it laughable when people start saying he's a crash kid and he's the one causing all these crashes. Passing in F1 is tough. He's been in very very touch and go spots at the starts and the thing with him is that unlike the moronic attitude of a certain 19 year old, he puts the hand up when he screws up. I'm a Vettel fan and he was the only one to blame for Malaysia. He wrecked Rosberg's race, but he didn't do anything wrong in relation to Verstappen. It's what Verstappen did at Spa, and unlike him, he kept it on the island on the inside. People forget his stats at Australia and Canada this year. It's what a racing driver does. You see a gap, you go!

Also, lot of Ferrari bashing as usual. Ferrari weren't interested in coming second this year. Their token expenditure is a clear example of it. If in the bargain, they lost second, so be it. I rather a team goes for the championship while taking risks. It's not worked out, that's RACING. You stick it out as a team when the going is tough.
What about pressure from his own? Vettel is a winner, wants to win. He left Red Bull for Ferrari because he felt he could win with Ferrari. Last year that goal was achieved, but this year can't be nothing else then a dissapointment for him. I do think that puts pressure on his shoulders, if nobody else then from himself.
Top post. Exactly what I said in bold.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:

That´s pretty common in MX, using the rider you want to overtake as a camber/rut so you enter the corner faster than usually and use him as a support, and probably make him crash. But this is F1 not MX. Deserved penalty IMHO

DelaRosa said he earned the position, but as an exception I will disagree with him here. He earned the position because he entered the corner way too fast, without Kimi at the outside he would have never taken the corner, he´d have gone wide

Look at the normal line at that corner, tangent to the inner kerb when passing the bollard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMtZlYA5dWo=20
Now look at Rosberg line at same point, maybe 30-40º off the line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjbLaV_7fA

Considering the space and time they need to take that corner, Kimi had no time to react, Nico went into the corner way too fast, went wide, and collided with Kimi
He would have gone a little bit wide, not too much. With this criteria a lot of classic overtakes would have received a penalty. It was an agressive move which surprised Kimi, but I have seen this many times in the past. A driver doesnt expect a certain move and they can collide or not. I dont think that Nico was a crazy horse on this corner.

About Vettel , it was usual not to penalize those incidents during the first laps, because it has been considered this lap an expectional one. Moreover, the driver used no to receive a penalty when he was damaged by this own movement. Vettel was too agressive, but this suspension was damaged and he was out of the race. In the past this was enough because they considered that the driver was already "penalized".

But now no, everything must be penalized. Perhaps they should only permit overtakes on straightS and with DRS.... :roll:

Wynters

Vasconia wrote:But now no, everything must be penalized.
Rosberg went in too quickly to make the corner without hitting Raikkonen. Demonstrably so, as he hit Raikkonen. If you aren't going to penalise drivers for driving into the side of other cars, what's the point of having penalties?
Vasconia wrote:Perhaps they should only permit overtakes on straightS and with DRS.... :roll:
Most of the time, drivers (including Rosberg) manage to overtake without driving into other cars.

Vasconia

Wynters wrote:
Vasconia wrote:But now no, everything must be penalized.
Rosberg went in too quickly to make the corner without hitting Raikkonen. Demonstrably so, as he hit Raikkonen. If you aren't going to penalise drivers for driving into the side of other cars, what's the point of having penalties?
Vasconia wrote:Perhaps they should only permit overtakes on straightS and with DRS.... :roll:
Most of the time, drivers (including Rosberg) manage to overtake without driving into other cars.
But we have seen overtakes where the overtaken car must avoid the contact because the other car is inside. I think that this should not be penalized unless its a very crazy try, which I dont think it was. But its only my opinion.