2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Vasconia wrote:
Wynters wrote:
Vasconia wrote:But now no, everything must be penalized.
Rosberg went in too quickly to make the corner without hitting Raikkonen. Demonstrably so, as he hit Raikkonen. If you aren't going to penalise drivers for driving into the side of other cars, what's the point of having penalties?
Vasconia wrote:Perhaps they should only permit overtakes on straightS and with DRS.... :roll:
Most of the time, drivers (including Rosberg) manage to overtake without driving into other cars.
But we have seen overtakes where the overtaken car must avoid the contact because the other car is inside. I think that this should not be penalized unless its a very crazy try, which I dont think it was. But its only my opinion.
You are both right. It is difficult to talk about this overtake, as the penalty is well earned and fine with the rules. The same for Vettel.
The problem is, that last and next race the same situations are judged differently. They are so far off any line like never before. We had phases during this season when really nothing was penalized (Ros double yellow, Ves running off Rai, just to give two examples) and we had the same situations one race before or afterwards penalized (Ros running off Ves, Per double yellow). Crazy...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Vasconia

basti313 wrote: You are both right. It is difficult to talk about this overtake, as the penalty is well earned and fine with the rules. The same for Vettel.
The problem is, that last and next race the same situations are judged differently. They are so far off any line like never before. We had phases during this season when really nothing was penalized (Ros double yellow, Ves running off Rai, just to give two examples) and we had the same situations one race before or afterwards penalized (Ros running off Ves, Per double yellow). Crazy...
This is absolutely true. The inconsistency is annoying because its unfair and creates the idea(true or false) that some drivers have a greater freadom than others to do certain moves. I can disagree with the current politics to give penalties but at least if they could be coherent....

basti313
basti313

Vasconia wrote:
basti313 wrote: You are both right. It is difficult to talk about this overtake, as the penalty is well earned and fine with the rules. The same for Vettel.
This is absolutely true. The inconsistency is annoying because its unfair and creates the idea(true or false) that some drivers have a greater freadom than others to do certain moves. I can disagree with the current politics to give penalties but at least if they could be coherent....
Yes. And I do not think that some drivers have a greater freedom, among the drivers with penalties most got away in other situations this year without penalties. Some just made their faults in the "no penalties today" races.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

I quite enjoyed Rosberg's little stunt. Overambitious? A bit. Reckless? Probably. But he paid the price. Well, not really. But I'd rather see him overtake someone in an obscure corner with a risky maneuver than do some sterile DRS-assisted pass.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Wynters wrote:
Rosberg went in too quickly to make the corner without hitting Raikkonen. Demonstrably so, as he hit Raikkonen. If you aren't going to penalise drivers for driving into the side of other cars, what's the point of having penalties?
Vasconia wrote:Perhaps they should only permit overtakes on straightS and with DRS.... :roll:
Most of the time, drivers (including Rosberg) manage to overtake without driving into other cars.
Ok, but if rosberg got penalty, why perez didn't get one at Spa for hitting massa?
why max Verstappen didn't get penalty for pushing kimi off the track at spa and Vettel got penalty for pushing massa off at Silverstone?
double standards?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

obvious fanboyism is obvious. this discussion has been had (too) many times at those very tracks and through undeniable evidence shown that the penalties given were correct and when not given - not even concidered actually, also correct. it's as simple as it gets.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Edax
Edax

sosic2121 wrote:
Wynters wrote:
Ok, but if rosberg got penalty, why perez didn't get one at Spa for hitting massa?
why max Verstappen didn't get penalty for pushing kimi off the track at spa and Vettel got penalty for pushing massa off at Silverstone?
double standards?
Maybe someone can clarify, but in the past any team could pass a formal complaint against any driver, and the stewards were obliged to investigate.

I'm not sure whether that is still the case but if it still is, the teams also are a factor in whether an incident is investigated or not. Then the ruling itself can be consistent, but the trigger to launch an investigation in minor incidents is be dependent on the degree of damage felt by the team and the potential gain of having the other party punished.

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:I quite enjoyed Rosberg's little stunt. Overambitious? A bit. Reckless? Probably. But he paid the price. Well, not really. But I'd rather see him overtake someone in an obscure corner with a risky maneuver than do some sterile DRS-assisted pass.
This.

Give me some risky, overambitious overtakes, contacts, controvery, etc... this is pure F1.

Andres125sx

I also fully agree with that, but that does not mean Rosberg penalty is not fair. It is, even when I also hope drivers continue trying aggresive maneouvers.

Please don´t make a relationship: if Rosberg is penalized drivers will not be aggresive anymore, because it´s false. Some drivers shine when they need to be aggresive (Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen...) and some drivers don´t (Rosberg, Massa, Kimi...). It´s only Rosberg who should control himself when trying to be aggresive, because that has never been his strong point

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Vasconia wrote:Give me some risky, overambitious overtakes, contacts, controvery, etc... this is pure F1.
Autosport seems to agree.
autosport.com wrote:If Rosberg was too harsh F1 should ban overtaking.

Amid so much talk about what people want Formula 1 to be, Nico Rosberg's penalty for his Malaysian GP move on Kimi Raikkonen basically amounts to an admission that hard racing is not welcome.
http://www.autosport.com/premium/featur ... overtaking

Andres125sx

Autosport seem to enjoy demagogic campaigns, like any other media

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, unless you can't think of anything better."

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:Autosport seem to enjoy demagogic campaigns, like any other media

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, unless you can't think of anything better."
This sentence is very good, but can apply for different points of view. I agree with Autosport. Some of you seem to have forgotten what was real racing.

Andres125sx

Racing, real or whatever adjective you want to use, has never been about using other cars as a camber to stop your own slide. As stated, that´s seen frequently in MX, but even there it is considered as dirty, even in MX!

Facts are Rosberg caused a colision and damaged Kimi´s car. With these facts any driver would be penalized, today, 10 years ago and in the good old days too.

It was not a battle where both decided to not give up and crashed, Kimi didn´t have any chance to avoid the contact, as there´s no space/time in that corner.

You seem to confuse a battle where both decide to assume risks, with this case where only one driver decided to assume risks, but the damage went to the other driver

strad

Vettel is a quadruple champion. His pressure to perform comes from within.
No team has ever been better at applying pressure on their drivers than Ferrari.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss