2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
flynfrog

Re: 2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

RedNEO

flynfrog wrote:
Agreed Red
:wink:

Mandrake
Mandrake

Diesel wrote:I don't like the word "dive bomb" been thrown around. That was by no means a dive bomb.
Could you then please explain what a divebomb is to you?

For me a divebomb is when you push inside another car into the corner and the other car has to yield in order to avoid a collision, where the line of the divebombing car is certainly going to cross the line of the divebombed car.

basti313
basti313

Mandrake wrote:
Diesel wrote:I don't like the word "dive bomb" been thrown around. That was by no means a dive bomb.

For me a divebomb is when you push inside another car into the corner and the other car has to yield in order to avoid a collision, where the line of the divebombing car is certainly going to cross the line of the divebombed car.
Hmmm I do not like this definition.
A classical divebomb is when you are more than a car length behind and still try to outbreak your opponent on the dirty side by breaking much too late. A move, which is not under control, as you do not have much chance to make the corner and a move that your opponent does not foresee.

In this twitter post, if you click on the first picture, you can see a nice example. https://twitter.com/F1/status/790290670 ... wsrc%5Etfw
The black car here is two to three car length away on the dirty inside, while the white car is already breaking and turning in on the racing line.
Don`t russel the hamster!

bill shoe
bill shoe

That sequence of corners is set up to create a large range of plausible lines. If you talk about "the" line then you haven't driven that corner. Alonso took a different line than Massa and successfully arrived at the apex in control, and equal or slightly ahead of Massa who did not achieve the apex. From that point, for better or worse, the current F1 standards are that the inside driver has the right to push the outside driver off the track. Done deal.

I've passed many cars there in low-level racing myself, very fun. The natural temptation is to go too wide/round and thus too far. If you're disciplined you can always shave a bit of time there by going short. Just because Tilke put pavement out there doesn't mean you have to use it.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Mandrake wrote:

As basti said, it's when you throw one down the inside with no chance of making the corner, using the car on the outside as a brake, usually results in a broken suspension.

iotar__

Diesel wrote:
Mandrake wrote:

As basti said, it's when you throw one down the inside with no chance of making the corner, using the car on the outside as a brake, usually results in a broken suspension.
It doesn't have to be even that. Verstappen Rosberg at Mexico start is a good non dramatic example.

Rosberg is clearly in front but since his quicker outside line is further away it makes it look as if they are close together. No, they are not close early enough. Saying that didn't close the door (Coulthard) is nonsensical, it's not the issue because outside line is quicker and here in front (corner geometry), MV on the inside outbrakes himself but the only way of carrying the speed and staying in front is driving straight. That's not an attempt IMO.

There are grey areas and situations closer to 50/50 of course. Last season (Mexico) I though it was Ricciardo's fault but Vetttel could have gone slower and wider like Rosberg now. On the other hand you can force an overtake but turn and make a corner too, it's up to skills and details. My examples: Kubica - De la Rosa (Bahrain '10), Grosjean - Maldo (Valencia '12).

dren

dren wrote:If Hamilton doesn't botch the start, he'll win.
You smart bastard.
Honda!