2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Spoken like a true spoiled brat that needs his butt kicked............
197 104 103 7

a1b2i3r45

dans79 wrote:Spoken like a true spoiled brat that needs his butt kicked............
Lol, that is "arguably" true and another matter altogether.

Phillyred

I think Vettel was is the process of warming up his tires swerving and didn't expect Lewis to have caught up so fast and Lewis just decided to make an evasive move on the inside.. He might have lost about .1 there, but I don't think it was intentional. Of course had it impacted quali results then maybe everyone would be more up in arms.

tonmeister

nevill3 wrote:
tonmeister wrote:
Juzh wrote: Alonso did it intentionally and vettel didn't. That's the difference.
Proof of that, please. Vettel´s block was blatant...
I watched an onboard video from Vettel's car and he was busy warming his tyres prior to setting his best lap time, he was weaving just prior to the slow corners and was unaware of the impending approach of Hamilton. At the moment Hamilton passes him I think he was adjusting a setting on his steering wheel and it looked like he was taken completely by surprise.

I do not think it was deliberate at all and I hope no further action by the stewards will be needed. Both drivers got through the session so no lasting detrimental impact was caused.
I understand. It was probably unintentional but it happened and it was on a crucial moment on the weekend. It was not free practice, it was Q2 on the flying lap of an opponent. What I mean is that there is little point on Vettel´s attitude and insults toward other drivers given that he is the one that, of late, is actually behaving a little out of line (starts of some of GPs, including Spa and Singapore) and now this block today...

nevill3

It should be an interesting race tomorrow with the Red Bulls on the Supersoft sandwiched between the Mercedes, Hulkenberg and the Ferraris on the soft tyres. Will Ferrari be able to run longer in clear air to jump the RedBulls if they do not get past the Mercs at the start or will Ferrari attempt an undercut if they are close enough when the Red Bulls tyres begin to degrade prior to an early stop.

Well done to Hulkenberg, a great drive and as long as he can avoid Massa and Bottas at the start he could be a serious fly in the ointment for the three top teams.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Jolle

tonmeister wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
tonmeister wrote:
I watched an onboard video from Vettel's car and he was busy warming his tyres prior to setting his best lap time, he was weaving just prior to the slow corners and was unaware of the impending approach of Hamilton. At the moment Hamilton passes him I think he was adjusting a setting on his steering wheel and it looked like he was taken completely by surprise.

I do not think it was deliberate at all and I hope no further action by the stewards will be needed. Both drivers got through the session so no lasting detrimental impact was caused.
I understand. It was probably unintentional but it happened and it was on a crucial moment on the weekend. It was not free practice, it was Q2 on the flying lap of an opponent. What I mean is that there is little point on Vettel´s attitude and insults toward other drivers given that he is the one that, of late, is actually behaving a little out of line (starts of some of GPs, including Spa and Singapore) and now this block today...
The only reason why it could be intentional if he wanted a penalty. Hamilton is not his opponent at the moment and even with a big block he would go through Q2. Besides that, like coultard said in the commentary, the team has to spot upcoming cars, as a driver you don't watch out for that. I would guess that Vettels frustration is more towards the team that they even miss a simple thing like this then a frustration towards the sterwards.

Mark4211

Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap - Mexico 2016
https://vimeo.com/189462669

nevill3

tonmeister wrote:
So you didn't mean blatant in the first post, but meant it was definitely a block as defined by the rules but not on purpose and with malice.

I agree Vettel's performances this year are not as clinical as he has been in the past but driving an inferior car perhaps spurs him to overcompensate for any shortcomings the car has and means he takes more calculated risks than he would have done when he drove a dominant or at least equal car in previous years.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

tonmeister

Yes, what I meant with blatant is that it unequivocally happened and that we cannot know for certain Vettel´s intentions. Sure, most probably without malice. As I said, my point is that he should stop insulting...especially when he is the one screwing up.

At any rate, looking forward to a great, unpredictable race with lots of different tyre strategies. Look out for Checo, Alonso and Hulkenberg other than Hamilton-Rosberg drama...

PS: Edited for grammar

basti313

nevill3 wrote:It should be an interesting race tomorrow with the Red Bulls on the Supersoft sandwiched between the Mercedes, Hulkenberg and the Ferraris on the soft tyres. Will Ferrari be able to run longer in clear air to jump the RedBulls if they do not get past the Mercs at the start or will Ferrari attempt an undercut if they are close enough when the Red Bulls tyres begin to degrade prior to an early stop.

Well done to Hulkenberg, a great drive and as long as he can avoid Massa and Bottas at the start he could be a serious fly in the ointment for the three top teams.
Looking at last year's start, the way to the first corner is so long, that the Mercs really need to bottle the start to be in danger. They outpowered the other cars in slipstream for a few car lengths.
It looks like the Bulls are more in danger than the Mercs at the start. So I can picture a mix of Bulls, FI and Ferrari in any order going for the first stop, undercutting each other.
One interesting point will be if the Mercs are gone at that point or not. The other interesting point will be, who will try a 1-Stop and who will 2-Stop.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Wynters

basti313 wrote:Looking at last year's start, the way to the first corner is so long, that the Mercs really need to bottle the start to be in danger. They outpowered the other cars in slipstream for a few car lengths.
The thinner air should also make the slipstream less effective so I suspect the long run should be less of an advantage than usual. It will be interesting to see who gets off the line well. Ricciardo may have ended up in 2nd at the CotA but that was more about Rosberg being hesitant going into the first corner than about a difference in starts. I think only Hamilton is likely to be vulnerable.

One thing that does occur to me is that, if I were Verstappen or Ricciardo I'd be thinking 'Neither Merc will take any chances tomorrow, if I can get my nose into a gap then I'm probably through.' Could make it exciting on that first lap.

It'd be great to see Hulkenberg get to the end of the first lap in one piece as well. Another good qualifying performance from him. Force India continue to impress. Fastest team per buck spent?

Raikonnen beats Vettel again, doesn't feel right. Perhaps Vettel really was a 'one-hit wonder' and was entirely dependent on the double-diffuser but I'm sure there is more to him that that. For whatever reason, he just can't find his mojo.

Rosberg pulled it out of the bag on the only lap that mattered. Mind-gaming Hamilton, or did it really take him four sessions to work out that he needed to work harder to warm up the tyres (I believe that was Lauda's explanation)?

f1316

Vettel admitted he blocked Hamilton - didn't realise he was there - so need to even debate the point.

Ferrari as bizarre as ever. They looked like the only challenger to Hamilton in Q1 and Q2 and then go backwards in Q3. Typical.

iotar__

Wynters wrote:
basti313 wrote:Looking at last year's start, the way to the first corner is so long, that the Mercs really need to bottle the start to be in danger. They outpowered the other cars in slipstream for a few car lengths.
The thinner air should also make the slipstream less effective so I suspect the long run should be less of an advantage than usual.
- engines are closer this season and anyway it didn't look that dramatic to me
- tyres are more important, it didn't matter in USA but here it might be different (braking more than get away), if I was a leading Merc I would prefer shorter start straight
- on the other hand track is narrow so less options (lines), I don't think it should be chaotic without some stupid moves
- slipstream less effective, ok but I doubt it will be significant over one straight/corner from stationary start
Rosberg pulled it out of the bag on the only lap that mattered. Mind-gaming Hamilton, or did it really take him four sessions to work out that he needed to work harder to warm up the tyres (I believe that was Lauda's explanation)?
- no mind games, it's hardly a mind game when you end up behind ;-)
- tyres/balance - judging by Ricciardo's comments it was a weird Q, Rosberg was behind whole weekend, rather big margin too

ringo

As for rosberg's improvement it may be down to the team studying lewis up to q2 then telling him what hamilton has done with the tyres. Remember radio ban is lifted and and there was a time when they used to tell him exactly what lewis used to do on the track and lewis would have to hide his hand up to the last q3 run. Secondly mercedes turns the engines up for Q3. Rosberg benefited from that greatly. Lewis' last run was actually not a great lap. He made at least 2 errors that lost him about .25s. Basically mercedes q3 pace mitigated any danger nico would have been in from the redbulls and ferraris due to his lack of confidence today.
What we may see is that he will strugle for pace tomorrow as well under heavy fuel and a green track.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Mark4211 wrote:Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap - Mexico 2016
https://vimeo.com/189462669
Okaay I see. So you are Marklar?

I was once on autosport back in the Button Vs Hamilton days, but I wasn't elitist enough so they banned me. Twice.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏